Start by marking “French Chef Cookbook” as Want to Read:
French Chef Cookbook

French Chef Cookbook

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  26 reviews

Boeuf Bourguignon. Crepes Suzette. Brioche. French Onion Soup. Quiche Lorraine. Coq au Vin. These and so many other mouthwatering classics of French cuisine owe their presence in America's kitchens to one extraordinary chef: Julia Child. The ultimate authority on fine French cooking in America, Child awakened the American palate to this cuisine, and was devoted to making i

Published April 28th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about French Chef Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Chef Cookbook

Linda
What a fun cookbook to read! It's broken down by episode of Julia's Boston-based "The French Chef" TV show from the 1960s and makes you feel like you are going back in time and sharing Julia's experience and excitement in sharing the French way of cooking (includes a bunch of black-and-white photos from the show).

Each recipe includes a bit of background story, which makes you feel a bit more engaged with the process -- making cooking fun. And the instructions for each recipe are very detailed, s
Steven Peterson
This is a very nice cookbook. In this volume, one reviews the recipes that Julia Child featured on her TV series, "The French Chef." Not all recipes are quick and easy to create; however, the full volume provides many that can be done handily by folks in their kitchens.

Some examples of recipes that are delicious and doable:

1. Coquilles Saint-Jacques. The nice thing about this recipe is that Julia Child provides variations on the main recipe. It takes considerable preparation, but this dish, fe
JDAZDesigns
We got a little hooked on Julia by watching reruns of her PBS show. [Don't watch them when you're hungry.] After a few of those episodes and seeing how easy she makes it all look, I rented the book from the library.

The first recipes I made were the canard a l'orange and the gratin dauphinois, on Easter Sunday. [Seemed fitting to me. Plus, I'd been traveling a lot and not cooking and constantly saying to The P, "Gosh! Some duck sure would be good." Then he found it on sale and I was committed.] S
Mary
Such a great cookbook. Lots of visual diagrams (like for deboning a chicken), step by step directions and recipes for the middle-advanced cook. The book is arranged around Julia Child's cooking show (though all the shows are not included) and include shots from the actual show. Lots of the recipes are not very difficult and there are several that are "steak dinner in 30 minutes". Now, it might take a bit longer than 30 minutes for most of us to make the dinner, but they are pretty quick meals.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This isn't the cookbook with which Child revolutionized how Americans cook--Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Rather, it's a companion book to her PBS show of the same name. As it says in the back cover, it "puts in print, session by session, dish by dish, every recipe Julia Child has demonstrated on the first series of television programs." It's organized by "Show Number" from 14 to 134. (The first 13 shows no longer exist--the tapes had deteriorated but later shows repeated almost all that ...more
Mike
Apr 30, 2011 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Mike by: The French Chef, herself
Probably the second of her books that I bought back in the days of wood-burning computers.

This book also covers the dark days of America's home chefs. Before the days of yuppie purveyors of cooking supplies, tools, and accoutrements (e.g. J. Bildner's). She came up with useful substitutes or recipe modifications that enabled the mere mortal to make an acceptable or even superb dish with readily available ingredients. Of course today, only people living under a rock don't have access to world-sta
Cheryl Scott
Two words: Boeuf Bourguignon.

Great cookbook that altered the way millions of Americans saw food and cooking.

I cherish this book!

Lynda
I loved the show on PBS. I bought the book with my birthday money and proudly brought it home to show my mother. She looked at me as if I were crazy. "Your father," she said, "would never eat this stuff." And, she pointed out that most of the recipes weren't kosher. I was crushed.

However, we found some recipes that would work...mainly desserts. And I took the book with me when I left home. I have used it frequently over the years. More than anything, as I read the recipes and instructions, I ca
Ginnie Grant
Classic! Every cook and non-cook alike should read this book!
Rich
While I haven't made all the recipes - I read the book and found it great. I remember seeing The French Chef on PBS as a kid and being mesmerized by Julia Child's presence and form. As an adult and an amateur chef, it is just as engrossing. This book does a great job of capturing her style and personality. The opening has several very funny moments and I can imagine her reading some of the recipe instructions out loud. This book is particularly great if you can match up the recipes with the epis ...more
Beka
Though less ponderous than Mastering the Art of French Cooking, this little dear still contains many of Julia's classic recipes.
Barbara VA
I just love to read cookbooks and I found this one wonderful. it was like having Julia sit at my kitchen counter and just chat. I watched and learned so much from her growing up, she made cooking fun and not a chore. She tells why things do the way they do. I have been hard boiling eggs for 40 years and last night I did them a totally new way, and the difference was amazing! Bon Appetit!
Lily
Simply amazing. Many of our favorite family recipes are from here, including Chocolate Mousse, Orange Bavarian, and Ratatouille. This one is based on her television series.

In reality, it never gets "read," just used again and again.

(My two copies are actually the original hardback edition.)
Miriam
The book is organized according to Julia's WGBH television series, "The French Chef." Each chapter represents a show and the recipes used. This book has a little something for everyone. The recipes represent the core essentials of the French cooking repetoire.
Holly
i've done three recipes from The French Chef Cookbook and enjoyed them all but the real gem of this is learning how to do my vegetables "French style"..so simple and satisfying.
Ruth
I thought that since the second book was nice this would be also. It was difficult to find recipes since it was organized by episodes. There are better book out today.
Ron Silvers
Julia was the original "celebrity" chef with none of the pomp and circumstance. She truly did what she did for the pure joy and satisfaction of cooking.
Emily
cheese souffle with poached egg, on spinach something or other, is first up.

---update===
I haven't made this yet. But I will. I will.
Fredrick Danysh
Julia Child's is an acclaimed French chef who had a cooking show in America. In this cookbook, she gives many of her recipes.
Lee
Worth buying just for the preface alone. Julia herself wrote about being a Boston TV pioneer. Amazing recipes follow.
Linda
Given to my by my aunt when I began my career as French teacher - I love the book as bedraggled as it now is.
Sally
Loved reading this cookbook - cover-to-cover - I've never done that with a cookbook before.
Lori
Jun 10, 2007 Lori added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other Julia Child lov-ahs.
Bought my first cookbook of Julias..
and inside the cover were three press photos of my lady!
Jenni
Wow, it's delicious french cuisine.. Read careful before practice d recepies..
Judy
I still depend on this dogeared copy for my quiche recipe!
SheilaRaeO
Cookbook,Celebrity Chef
Ola
Ola is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
  • The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American
  • Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
  • Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Think Like a Chef
  • The Best Recipe
  • River Road Recipes
Julia Child was a famous American cook, author, and television personality who introduced French cuisine and cooking techniques to the American mainstream through her many cookbooks and television programs. Her most famous works are the 1961 cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking and, showcasing her sui generis television persona, the series The French Chef, which premiered in 1963.

More about Julia Child...
My Life in France Mastering the Art of French Cooking The Way to Cook Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 2 Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home