Start by marking “Tomorrow and Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow and Tomorrow

Tomorrow and Tomorrow

A man from Earth's distant past is humanity's only hope for a future...

Drake Merlin's wife, the love of his life, is dying of a rare, fatal disease for which there is no cure. Not now, in the 21st century. But surely in the future...

For Drake there is only one solution: have Ana's body frozen until she can be cured. And he will go with her into the cryowomb. It is a desper
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published January 5th 1998 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1997)

Brian
Dec 31, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Is it possible for a human to survive billions of years, travel between galaxies, and eventually witness the end of the universe? Sheffield explains how, and it's actually quite believable. What's not believable is the main character's motivation for doing so. Perhaps man may find a love so great it can drive him to any length to save the woman he loves, but I don't believe this is the man who would do it. What he really possesses is obstinancy, not love.

The most fascinating part of this story i
Kristen
Mar 31, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jul07-jun08, reread, 2016
Tomorrow and Tomorrow is a slightly pulpy but highly enjoyable science fiction story about a man who cryogenically freezes himself and his dying wife in the hopes of curing her in the future. What I really like about this book: 1) It addresses the question of, if you have cryogenically frozen yourself, why would anyone in the future be incentivized to unfreeze you? 2) It operates on a time scale that is unfathomable, as our hero is frozen and unfrozen many times over the course of the novel. 3) ...more
Jack Skillingstead
Jul 01, 2014 Jack Skillingstead rated it it was amazing
Dare I say it? A perfect "hard" science fiction novel. In this book Sheffield beats all comers, including Clarke and Asimov.
Fabiola Fulco Salazar
Me pareció un libro maravilloso, hay una mezcla infinita de elementos que solo pueden ser obra de un genio. Sin embargo, Merlin me parece un personaje muy estático... Quizás la trama se me antojó un poco superficial. Millones de años no pasan sin dejar huella, y cuesta creer en la profundidad de sus heridas. ¿Realmente puede un corazón mantenerse siempre fiel? A mi me resulta una idea improbable. Y a pesar de ello, pienso que la belleza de esta novela es que te permite degustar todas las posibil ...more
Alison
Nov 13, 2008 Alison rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Alison by: Kaylee Vogt
At the beginning, I thought this might be a book about music, composition, and how it changes over time. I should've known better since the author is Charles Sheffield.

I loved this book. I don't know that I can explain why I enjoyed it so much. At times, it was hard to follow. It takes a lot of imagination to keep up with the story line. It also left me a little afraid for our future as you see humanity evolving and embracing (or eschewing) technology.

One point I really appreciated was the idea
Wendy
Jul 21, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
Shelves: have-a-copy
Join Drake Merlin as he mansplains through the billions of years of humanity's future! Apparently he is the only person of our time to have the idea to cryogenically freeze both himself and his wife so that they can be together in the future after a cure for her disease has been found.

While he may not mansplain his way through every page of the book, there is an awful lot of "only I" can save humanity, understand love, persevere, etc. He gets annoying pretty quickly.
Ian
Jan 05, 2009 Ian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
One of my most favourite Science Fiction books. When you think you know what the book is about and what is going to happen next, watch out! This is Sheffield. He took me on a journey of imagination more logical and creative than my puny little mind could conceive.
Matthew
May 02, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Tomorrow and Tomorrow is a noticeably imperfect book. All but the final couple of chapters of the book's second part (Illiad) feel useless and tacked on; not really fitting with the other two parts. Even in the best parts of the book, there are occasionally bits of clunky dialogue or awkward exposition, or character actions that just aren't interesting; a lot of the time Sheffield writes protagonist Drake Merlin as a nonchalant automaton.

I think that this book still represents some of the best
Peter
Jan 30, 2016 Peter rated it liked it
Tomorrow and Tomorrow tells of Drake Merlin, a composer who discovers his wife, and love of his life, Ana, is dying of an incurable disease. Unwilling to lose her, he has her froze in the hopes that later there will be a cure... and then soon after, freezes himself, so that he can be around to take care of her and make sure she's brought back. But things may be more difficult than he anticipated, and he must go further and further into the future in the slim hope that he and Ana might be reunite ...more
Andrew
Oct 03, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
A strange book this. It's basically three parts. The first third, and the last little bit, are very reminiscent of two things. The first is the one most commonly cited, which is the Asimov short story The Last Question. However, it actually resonated more (for me) with the Babylon 5 episode, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", the fourth season finale of the series. It concerns a series of time-jumps, charting through time.

Part two is an odd one, It's a battle, but not a battle, but one where
Nix Gerit
Sep 27, 2015 Nix Gerit rated it really liked it
I just remembered this book and had to search for its name to proudly add it to my list. I read it when I was 17 or so and now, some 8 years later I still remember the story quite vividly.
This book is by far the one I'm proudest of conquering as it was incredibly difficult and long. It was a really fat book I carried in my school bag, weighing almost the same as everything else that was in that bag and, as was my custom, I read it in school whenever I could (which was, sadly, quite often).
I re
Mark
Jan 30, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
Joshua
May 13, 2014 Joshua rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is one of those books where I'm not sure if I really want to give it three stars or four. I'd be comfortable calling it 3.5.

There is some great stuff here. Drake's progress over the course of the book is pretty fascinating, and there are some really great moments... But there are also a lot of places where it digresses or falls flat a bit. About halfway through there is a fairly frightening invasion of the galaxy; colonies just stop talking and no probes or ships ever return. It's actually
Amanda
Jun 10, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a WEIRD book. I loved it at first, but then it seemed to drag on. "100 years later," "800 years later," that is fine. But when it gets to "30,000 years later," and "one million years later..." "...five million years later" "two billion years later" and so on...yeah, that gets tiring. I really, truly enjoyed hearing about the different progressions of "humankind" throughout the eons, though. I could have done without the weak arc of the male protagonist's love for his wife driving h ...more
Wendy
Sep 22, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
An interesting book about a man who cryofreezes his dying wife and then jumps forward into the future to a time where science can save her. There wasn't enough "before" cancer relationship stuff revealed to make us believe his love was this strong. And who would really be so in love with their spouse after only 15 years that their memory and obsession would last through billions of years? He was literally awake for billions of years as an electronic embodiment and finding his wife was still his ...more
Jessica
Aug 07, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it made me think about many different facets of life that I hadn't really gone into depth before. I talked about millions and billions of years passing, what life was like, just a really interesting scifi book, it did have some hard science, but not too too much to where it would be hard to understand. Worth a read :) the ending left some to be desired and was kind've abrupt but I liked all the aspects that made up the whole book, it starts out really romantically act ...more
Trevor Parker
An interesting look at the evolution of humans and the end of time. While it was entertaining, I found the narrative bogged down by repetition of ideas and the over explanation of events. It felt as though Sheffield was really trying to say something, almost preaching, about current issues in the guise of Drake Merlin...

I enjoyed the appendix where Sheffield discusses actual science used in this book, and the history of that science.

Overall, a good and quick read.
David
Feb 23, 2009 David rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An ambitious book that begins in the present day and ends billions of years later at the end of the Universe. Considering the time span, it's quite a short book. Sheffeld takes the reader on a grand tour of how humanity and human society might change and be changed by technology as ages pass. The plot is a little lack luster at times, but the hard science edged world building is a wonder to behold. Reads in many ways like a travelogue through Future Time.
Roberto
May 28, 2009 Roberto rated it liked it
This is in many ways an awesome book. It is not a book I can like, but I can look at it and say, that is one heck of an idea, and the author sure does work it!

The writing is somehow cold, and the main character's obsession with his dead wife seems to me more obsession than passion. When Par Leon offers to "fix him"... well, it seems to me that he *did* need fixing.
Linda
Feb 25, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Today I read about a 3-D printer that could be used to build a moon base. Sheffield wrote this amazing book in 1996. I read it a few years ago and it seems like every few months I hear about some new scientific breakthrough matching the ideas Sheffield so brilliantly brings to life in this book.
Angel Serrano
Ciencia ficción en estado puro. Un músico será el hilo conductor de la historia. Su mujer muere, pero la conservan congelada para poder recuperarla viva cuando la ciencia avance lo suficiente. Llegarán hasta el final de los días después de una búsqueda en el espacio y el tiempo.
Jamie
May 14, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
This book has taken me from the dawn of space exploration to the Eschaton. The timeline is expansive and massive, and it was a blast to read. I can't be certain, but I'm slightly convinced that my own perception of time slowed down significantly over the two weeks I was immersed in it.
Medani
May 13, 2008 Medani rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Seth & Scott
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is great; it never bores, which is the Kryptonite of story tails. The topics and concepts are religiously grand, and like all science fiction the ending can’t provide enough substance for the body.
Yamill  Medina
Ciencia ficción dura. Un poco dificil de leer, no solo por lo técnico, pero la historia puede llegar a aburrir y ser sumamente tediosa...
Goshak
Goshak rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2009
Jchisum
Jul 26, 2011 Jchisum rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Epic on scales rarely attempted.
Ian Mitchell
Ian Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2011
Nikki
Nikki rated it did not like it
Apr 25, 2012
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Phillip
Phillip rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Camelot 30K
  • Starfarers
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)
  • The Coming of the Quantum Cats
  • Indoctrinaire
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)
  • The Identity Matrix
  • Plague from Space
  • An Alien Light
  • Rainbow Mars
  • The Green and the Gray
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
  • Hopscotch
  • Titan (NASA Trilogy, #2)
  • In the Country of the Blind
  • Way of the Pilgrim
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...

“«La vida, si no es una gloriosa aventura, no es nada».” 1 likes
“Era fuerte cuando él estaba débil, cortésmente débil cuando era él el fuerte.” 0 likes