Start by marking “Tomorrow and Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow and Tomorrow

Tomorrow and Tomorrow

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A man from Earth's distant past is humanity's only hope for a future...

Drake Merlin's wife, the love of his life, is dying of a rare, fatal disease for which there is no cure. Not now, in the 21st century. But surely in the future...

For Drake there is only one solution: have Ana's body frozen until she can be cured. And he will go with her into the cryowomb. It is a desper
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published January 5th 1998 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1997)

Is it possible for a human to survive billions of years, travel between galaxies, and eventually witness the end of the universe? Sheffield explains how, and it's actually quite believable. What's not believable is the main character's motivation for doing so. Perhaps man may find a love so great it can drive him to any length to save the woman he loves, but I don't believe this is the man who would do it. What he really possesses is obstinancy, not love.

The most fascinating part of this story i
Nov 13, 2008 Alison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alison by: Kaylee Vogt
At the beginning, I thought this might be a book about music, composition, and how it changes over time. I should've known better since the author is Charles Sheffield.

I loved this book. I don't know that I can explain why I enjoyed it so much. At times, it was hard to follow. It takes a lot of imagination to keep up with the story line. It also left me a little afraid for our future as you see humanity evolving and embracing (or eschewing) technology.

One point I really appreciated was the idea
Nix Gerit
I just remembered this book and had to search for its name to proudly add it to my list. I read it when I was 17 or so and now, some 8 years later I still remember the story quite vividly.
This book is by far the one I'm proudest of conquering as it was incredibly difficult and long. It was a really fat book I carried in my school bag, weighing almost the same as everything else that was in that bag and, as was my custom, I read it in school whenever I could (which was, sadly, quite often).
I re
Join Drake Merlin as he mansplains through the billions of years of humanity's future! Apparently he is the only person of our time to have the idea to cryogenically freeze both himself and his wife so that they can be together in the future after a cure for her disease has been found.

While he may not mansplain his way through every page of the book, there is an awful lot of "only I" can save humanity, understand love, persevere, etc. He gets annoying pretty quickly.
One of my most favourite Science Fiction books. When you think you know what the book is about and what is going to happen next, watch out! This is Sheffield. He took me on a journey of imagination more logical and creative than my puny little mind could conceive.
Jack Skillingstead
Dare I say it? A perfect "hard" science fiction novel. In this book Sheffield beats all comers, including Clarke and Asimov.
May 22, 2014 Joshua rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This is one of those books where I'm not sure if I really want to give it three stars or four. I'd be comfortable calling it 3.5.

There is some great stuff here. Drake's progress over the course of the book is pretty fascinating, and there are some really great moments... But there are also a lot of places where it digresses or falls flat a bit. About halfway through there is a fairly frightening invasion of the galaxy; colonies just stop talking and no probes or ships ever return. It's actually
This was such a WEIRD book. I loved it at first, but then it seemed to drag on. "100 years later," "800 years later," that is fine. But when it gets to "30,000 years later," and "one million years later..." "...five million years later" "two billion years later" and so on...yeah, that gets tiring. I really, truly enjoyed hearing about the different progressions of "humankind" throughout the eons, though. I could have done without the weak arc of the male protagonist's love for his wife driving h ...more
A strange book this. It's basically three parts. The first third, and the last little bit, are very reminiscent of two things. The first is the one most commonly cited, which is the Asimov short story The Last Question. However, it actually resonated more (for me) with the Babylon 5 episode, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", the fourth season finale of the series. It concerns a series of time-jumps, charting through time.

Part two is an odd one, It's a battle, but not a battle, but one where
Today I read about a 3-D printer that could be used to build a moon base. Sheffield wrote this amazing book in 1996. I read it a few years ago and it seems like every few months I hear about some new scientific breakthrough matching the ideas Sheffield so brilliantly brings to life in this book.
An interesting book about a man who cryofreezes his dying wife and then jumps forward into the future to a time where science can save her. There wasn't enough "before" cancer relationship stuff revealed to make us believe his love was this strong. And who would really be so in love with their spouse after only 15 years that their memory and obsession would last through billions of years? He was literally awake for billions of years as an electronic embodiment and finding his wife was still his ...more
I really enjoyed this book, it made me think about many different facets of life that I hadn't really gone into depth before. I talked about millions and billions of years passing, what life was like, just a really interesting scifi book, it did have some hard science, but not too too much to where it would be hard to understand. Worth a read :) the ending left some to be desired and was kind've abrupt but I liked all the aspects that made up the whole book, it starts out really romantically act ...more
Trevor Parker
An interesting look at the evolution of humans and the end of time. While it was entertaining, I found the narrative bogged down by repetition of ideas and the over explanation of events. It felt as though Sheffield was really trying to say something, almost preaching, about current issues in the guise of Drake Merlin...

I enjoyed the appendix where Sheffield discusses actual science used in this book, and the history of that science.

Overall, a good and quick read.
An ambitious book that begins in the present day and ends billions of years later at the end of the Universe. Considering the time span, it's quite a short book. Sheffeld takes the reader on a grand tour of how humanity and human society might change and be changed by technology as ages pass. The plot is a little lack luster at times, but the hard science edged world building is a wonder to behold. Reads in many ways like a travelogue through Future Time.
This is in many ways an awesome book. It is not a book I can like, but I can look at it and say, that is one heck of an idea, and the author sure does work it!

The writing is somehow cold, and the main character's obsession with his dead wife seems to me more obsession than passion. When Par Leon offers to "fix him"... well, it seems to me that he *did* need fixing.
This book has taken me from the dawn of space exploration to the Eschaton. The timeline is expansive and massive, and it was a blast to read. I can't be certain, but I'm slightly convinced that my own perception of time slowed down significantly over the two weeks I was immersed in it.
Angel Serrano
Ciencia ficción en estado puro. Un músico será el hilo conductor de la historia. Su mujer muere, pero la conservan congelada para poder recuperarla viva cuando la ciencia avance lo suficiente. Llegarán hasta el final de los días después de una búsqueda en el espacio y el tiempo.
Jun 05, 2008 Medani rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Seth & Scott
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is great; it never bores, which is the Kryptonite of story tails. The topics and concepts are religiously grand, and like all science fiction the ending can’t provide enough substance for the body.
Zachary Jernigan
OBJECTIVE RATING (my best stab at looking at the book's merits, regardless of whether or not I enjoyed it all that much): 3

PERSONAL RATING (how much the book "worked" for me personally): 4.5
Yamill  Medina
Ciencia ficción dura. Un poco dificil de leer, no solo por lo técnico, pero la historia puede llegar a aburrir y ser sumamente tediosa...
Tim Buckner
This book surprised me. It is a good sci-fi read and has a romance at its heart. Loved it
This book is amazing! Epic on scales rarely attempted.
Champagr marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Joshua marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Brian Smith
Brian Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • Camelot 30K
  • The Coming of the Quantum Cats
  • Starfarers
  • Colony
  • The Identity Matrix
  • The Asimov Chronicles: Fifty Years of Isaac Asimov (Volume Five)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • Plague from Space
  • The Green and the Gray
  • Hopscotch
  • The Martian Race
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • Titan
  • The Halcyon Drift (Hooded Swan, #1)
  • An Alien Light
  • In the Country of the Blind
  • Slant (Queen of Angels, #4)
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...
Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1) Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1) Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1) Divergence (Heritage Universe 2) Higher Education

“«La vida, si no es una gloriosa aventura, no es nada».” 1 likes
“Era fuerte cuando él estaba débil, cortésmente débil cuando era él el fuerte.” 0 likes