Start by marking “Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now” as Want to Read:
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Life can be shit. Love can be shit. Whatever has happened to you, whatever will happen to you, whatever might happen to you, whatever hasn't happened to you, well . . . you're not alone. Andre Jordan's drawings and prose are culled from a life of heartache and unrequited love. Simple, sad, clever, and darkly hilarious, they tell of both dismal places and hopeful realizati

Published January 6th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

Gary Lee
Dec 10, 2008 Gary Lee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who have loved and lost and gone on to love again
A wonderful glimpse into the mind of a man suffering from a crushing depression.
Perfectly straddles the fence between Beautiful and Devastating.
Staceyb
Apr 21, 2009 Staceyb rated it it was amazing
this book is genius and i think everyone in the world should read it.

i am in love with andre jordan. and his wonderfully complex drawings.

and i even have a real advanced degree from a real english literature program and everything.
Kerry
Dec 08, 2014 Kerry rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I get that this book is simply sketches and reflections shared for the author to deal with his depression, but it annoyed me to the point of wanting to throw it in the trash.
Lara
Jan 23, 2009 Lara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: melancholy teenagers and people who are hipper than I am
This book was re-issued with the title Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, and the copy that I read was the re-issued one.

I probably never should have requested a review copy of this one. I should have KNOWN. I was suckered in by the allure of a title that is shared with a Smiths and a cute little stick figure on the cover.

The thing is, though: this book isn't really a reading sort of book. It's a collections of drawings and sad phrases. It is...sad. I liked some of the drawings and captions well en
Karen
Apr 12, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
I am not sure how I should rate this book because I really enjoyed reading it, but at the same time, I am not sure if it's worthy of a high rating because it's so short. It took me about an hour to read it, flipping through the pages of drawings and comments. The drawings were funny in that bittersweet kind of way. It's really rather dark humor (jokes about suicide and depression), but because I go for that kind of thing (hey, I'm emo, what can I say?), I liked it and smiled as I read along. Yet ...more
Bill
Dec 15, 2011 Bill rated it really liked it
A quick one-sit read. This book is a brief collection of writing and sketches assembled by the author as a means of dealing with bouts of depression, and they vary from adorable and heartfelt to downright concerning. I purchased the book on a whim and waited quite a while before cracking it open. I was hooked by the title and the general concept, and I wasn't let down. It's a downer, but that's to be expected, but I am always fascinated by these types of texts: ones that feel like the author had ...more
Matt
Sep 22, 2012 Matt rated it liked it
A good chunk of the depression of the author seems to come from loneliness and self-absorption, so now in a time when I'm in a relationship for one of the first times ever, it was kind of nice to go back to that despair of thinking you'll never be happy in that way... and by "nice" I mean it was "nice to remember it but no longer be in it."

You realize, when you read the work of depressives, just what an awful positive-feedback loop it is, and how they can't really escape it without some big push
anita
May 26, 2015 anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-library
I picked up this book because I needed 1 more book to make a certain amount of books to get a sale price, and when I flipped through it looked like a cute little cartoon book. I absolutely loved this book. It was a humorous quick little read. While its not necessarily a happy read it did lift my flagging spirits. I could relate to many of the drawings having suffered from depression off and on my whole life. I have also said many of the sayings myself which made them even funnier. My favorite be ...more
Louie
Jul 17, 2011 Louie rated it liked it
I found this at the Book Exchange's charity sale and probably paid about 85¢ for it. The meager price paid yielded a treasure of insight, distilled-down into one liners about life, love, childhood and grown-up anxieties that we all face sooner or later in life. It's an eclectic mix of profound statements as well as what you might find on the newest hip T-shirt. In it's very simple way, this book made me stop and think about my own life...I liked it!
Bridget
Dec 21, 2009 Bridget rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-with-art
Picked this up at ALA midwinter last year on the Harper booth girl's rec. Is a quick, flippable book. Laughed out loud a few times, but didn't really hold my interest much.

My favorite bit:
There is a place that I once knew
cold and frightening and bitterly blue
if you should find yourself there too
I'll hold your hand and walk with you
Anne
Mar 06, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
So i was at a book show and saw this book, the title caught me. Heaven Knows im miserable now, im a smiths/morrissey fan so i fell for it hook, line and sinker. It was cute and at that moment I seriously needed to be amused. I enjoyed it.
Charli
Feb 09, 2009 Charli rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Kind of a graphic, kind of not. This is mostly line drawings and short pithy comments. I was pretty miserable after reading it; unfortunately the humor that was supposed to come through didn't really shine for me.
Dev Bhat
Jan 01, 2015 Dev Bhat rated it it was amazing
Read on my roof with a couple beers, this book gratifies the nihilist in me while also giving him hope.
Smellsofbikes
Dec 21, 2010 Smellsofbikes rated it really liked it
It reads like a particularly depressed and biting XKCD, although somewhat less geeky. There are moments of brilliance, moments of nearly pure vulgarity, and a lot of bright funny comics.
Jill
Feb 28, 2009 Jill marked it as to-read
looks bite-sized
Jamie
Jul 25, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
Funny, sad, like a journal you'd have written when you were younger except with maybe some more insight and honesty. And hilarity. And draw-rings.
pea.
May 16, 2011 pea. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
not as consistent story as i like but depression is not consistent.
Christopher Frankland
Oct 10, 2013 Christopher Frankland rated it really liked it
Brilliant minimalist doodles from Andre Jordan. I'd seen a lot of his work through his blog and picked up this book from a charity shop for next to nothing. There's a drawing in here for everyone.
Ale
May 11, 2011 Ale rated it it was amazing
heh. all too true, awesome possum
Yasser
Oct 26, 2010 Yasser added it
Simply perfect...reflects life as it is with all mirrors and sides...with all feelings
Renee
Jul 29, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomchoice
Hilarious break-up book with illustrations at my level of art :)
David Gutowski
David Gutowski rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Sophie Lawson
Sophie Lawson rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Sonika
Sonika rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Ally
Ally rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2011
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Ivan
Ivan rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Erica Esther
Erica Esther rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Nothing Nice to Say
  • Akbar and Jeff's Guide to Life
  • Unlovable, Vol. 2
  • Get Over It!
  • Global Model Village
  • Artists, Writers, Thinkers, Dreamers: Portraits of Fifty Famous Folks & All Their Weird Stuff
  • Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor
  • Sshhhh!
  • Arab in America
  • My Perfect Life
  • Cat Person
  • Post-it Note Diaries: 20 Stories of Youthful Abandon, Embarrassing Mishaps, and Everyday Adventure
  • Delayed Replays
  • Studs Terkel's Working: A Graphic Adaptation
  • The Daria Diaries
  • Theories of Everything: Selected, Collected, and Health-Inspected Cartoons, 1978-2006
  • Unshelved (Unshelved, #1)
  • I Had Brain Surgery, What's Your Excuse?