Start by marking “Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories

Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Collection of Chandler's short stories previously printed in Dime Detective, Black Mask, and The Saturday Evening Post in the 1930s. Stories are "Red Wind," "Blackmailers Don't Shoot," "I'll Be Waiting," "Goldfish," and "Guns at Cyrano's."
Published 1946 by Cleveland: World Publishing Company (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Red Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Wind

Linda
Sep 01, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
"Red Wind" is the title of a short story written by Raymond Chandler. Raymond Chandler is considered by some the father of hard-boiled crime fiction, and "Red Wind" is supposed to be the best of his short stories. This is why I grabbed the audiobook, Red Wind, narrated by Elliott Gould, on Audible.com, which is not the story collection pictured in GR's version listed above. Anyway...

Chandler's P.I. isn't new to me. He's the Humphrey Bogart character, Philip Marlowe (The Big Sleep), who can size
Kem White
May 21, 2015 Kem White rated it really liked it
I really like Raymond Chandler... a unique style in American writing. And while I didn't actually read this particular volume, I did read all 5 of this book's stories in my Library of America edition of Chandler's "Early Years". While "Red Wind" has the best opening paragraph you'll ever read in a short story, the story itself wasn't the best of the five. "Guns at Cyrano's" and "Goldfish," especially, are better. This latter story has a Hitchcock flavor to it. "Blackmailers Don't Shoot" is prett ...more
yexxo
Jonny Dalmas, Privatdetektiv, gönnt sich unweit seines Appartements in einer Bar ein Bier. Doch urplötzlich wird er Zeuge eines völlig überraschenden Mordes: Ein offenbar völlig Betrunkener erschießt einen Gast, der kurz zuvor hereinkam und nach einer Frau suchte, und flüchtet unerkannt. Mit seiner Aussage bei der Polizei wäre die Sache nun eigentlich für Dalmas erledigt, doch als er sich auf den Heimweg macht, steht ihm plötzlich die gesuchte Frau gegenüber. Er nimmt sich ihrer an und kurz dara ...more
Jim Clinton Slusher
Jun 02, 2015 Jim Clinton Slusher rated it it was amazing
"Red Wind" is a wonderful story, filled with incredible dialogue, vivid description and memorable characters. It's definitely from that detective noire genre and the language will take you back to the '40s & '50s, but it never feels dated to me. Just tough, gentle and moody, all at the same time. This is the third time I've read it. I appreciate it anew, and get something new out of it, every time. Thanks to Richard Battin for turning me on to it in the first place.
Michele Prosperi
Non è mai un buon segno, mentre leggi un libro, vedere la propria concentrazione evaporare tra le righe e il pensiero volarsene altrove.
Ed è ancora peggio, una volta riposto il libro sullo scaffale, realizzare di ricordarsi solo in parte ciò che si è appena letto.
Eppure questo è il risultato della lettura di “Vento Rosso” di Raymond Chandler, rimastomi impresso più per la noia provata, che per le storie di duri, pupe e piombo bollente del padre del pulp. Non tutto è da buttare, però. Un paio di
Malcolm Noble
Jan 01, 2014 Malcolm Noble rated it it was amazing
I have been a great Chandler fan since my teenage and have several bookcases of the different titles and edition. However, if I am to choose just one to list here, it has to be Red Wind. A super title story supported by other vg ones. Found my first copy at a bootfair in 1982 ... very ragged cloth, but looks quite good now as I've had it rebound in leather. Subsequently came across other copies of the first edition. Not difficult to find and well worth the effort. Don't settle for recent reprint ...more
PJ Dlamini
Feb 28, 2016 PJ Dlamini rated it it was amazing
Red Wind was my Hardboiled fiction read. The dialogue, the prose, the aesthetic of this story is so exciting. the one liners, from a dead era (there has to be a revival of this prose style!)

Neo-Hardboiled fiction anyone?
Averin
Mar 25, 2013 Averin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, favourites
Actually, I read this in high school and do not remember where. I re-read it last year to support a paper for English that I had to write on my own haiku. Since the poem was about the Santa Anas (the Red Wind) of my native Los Angeles and it's been a few years since I went home, I googled it and found it online here. Try it, not even geography professors can resist quoting from Red Wind. "Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife …"

It's a perfect Philip Marlowe story, only seven cha
Kara Troglin
Sep 30, 2010 Kara Troglin rated it really liked it
Red Wind was a fabulous read. It was my first introduction to Raymond Chandler and the pulp/mystery/Black Mask way of writing. I was thoroughly impressed with how well he kept me on my toes and the intertwining messages of violence, passion, and mystery.
Chandler is one of a kind!
Bap
Nov 08, 2008 Bap rated it liked it
The Red Wind: Very pulpy. Very LA. A murder or two, a detective, some clumsy cops and a dame. Chandler once described LA as a "big hard-boiled city with no more personality than a paper cup." His books a hard broiled as well with not a lot of depth but fun.
Sundry
Oct 09, 2007 Sundry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Raymond Chandler read by Eliot Gould. Wonderful! Sometimes I laughed out loud with sheer pleasure at the way Chandler uses the language.
Matt
Nov 10, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
The template for all modern gumshoe literature. Plus: 'Red Wind' uses Southern California's Devil Winds as a supporting character. The Santa Anas can never have enough ink.

Cheers.
Sam
Mar 09, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
have only read 'Red Wind' and none of the other stories, but I loved it. Started strong, I could hear the lonely sax and see the dark, melancholy cast of characters. Noir at it's finest.
Francesca Ponassi
Una raccolta di racconti per avvicinarsi al mondo dell'hard-boiled

Tamara Crater
May 27, 2011 Tamara Crater rated it really liked it
Very 1940s - 50s LA detective noir... Fun - if you're into that kind of thing. Also really fun to hear about the geography of LA back then.
Alice
Sep 01, 2010 Alice rated it liked it
This was an e-book we listened to while driving to/from Entiat. It was OK - the right length for a trip over.
Jess
Apr 15, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing
One of the most wonderful first paragraphs I have ever read.
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Pierre
Pierre marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Marcie
Marcie rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Keith A
Keith A rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Fabrizio
Fabrizio rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Josh
Josh added it
May 10, 2016
Justin Doolittle
Justin Doolittle rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
  • Manja
  • La traducción
  • Drohnenland
  • The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret
  • Nightmare Town
  • Upp till toppen av berget (A-gruppen, #3)
  • Might as Well Be Dead (Nero Wolfe, #27)
  • Coule la Seine (Commissaire Adamsberg, #5)
  • Lo contrario de la muerte
  • Pioggia
  • The Widow
  • چنين گذشت بر من
  • Mike Hammer: Lady, Go Die!
  • Nicobobinus
  • Rytuał
  • Toronto Noir
  • Broere : de oudste, de stilste, de echtste, de verste, de liefste, de snelste, en ik
  • The Premature Burial
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In
More about Raymond Chandler...

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.” 98 likes