Start by marking “Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories

Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories

Collection of Chandler's short stories previously printed in Dime Detective, Black Mask, and The Saturday Evening Post in the 1930s. Stories are "Red Wind," "Blackmailers Don't Shoot," "I'll Be Waiting," "Goldfish," and "Guns at Cyrano's."
Published 1946 by Cleveland: World Publishing Company (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Red Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Wind

Linda
Sep 01, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
"Red Wind" is the title of a short story written by Raymond Chandler. Raymond Chandler is considered by some the father of hard-boiled crime fiction, and "Red Wind" is supposed to be the best of his short stories. This is why I grabbed the audiobook, Red Wind, narrated by Elliott Gould, on Audible.com, which is not the story collection pictured in GR's version listed above. Anyway...

Chandler's P.I. isn't new to me. He's the Humphrey Bogart character, Philip Marlowe (The Big Sleep), who can size
yexxo
Jonny Dalmas, Privatdetektiv, gönnt sich unweit seines Appartements in einer Bar ein Bier. Doch urplötzlich wird er Zeuge eines völlig überraschenden Mordes: Ein offenbar völlig Betrunkener erschießt einen Gast, der kurz zuvor hereinkam und nach einer Frau suchte, und flüchtet unerkannt. Mit seiner Aussage bei der Polizei wäre die Sache nun eigentlich für Dalmas erledigt, doch als er sich auf den Heimweg macht, steht ihm plötzlich die gesuchte Frau gegenüber. Er nimmt sich ihrer an und kurz ...more
Michele Prosperi
Non è mai un buon segno, mentre leggi un libro, vedere la propria concentrazione evaporare tra le righe e il pensiero volarsene altrove.
Ed è ancora peggio, una volta riposto il libro sullo scaffale, realizzare di ricordarsi solo in parte ciò che si è appena letto.
Eppure questo è il risultato della lettura di “Vento Rosso” di Raymond Chandler, rimastomi impresso più per la noia provata, che per le storie di duri, pupe e piombo bollente del padre del pulp. Non tutto è da buttare, però. Un paio di
Kem White
May 21, 2015 Kem White rated it really liked it
I really like Raymond Chandler... a unique style in American writing. And while I didn't actually read this particular volume, I did read all 5 of this book's stories in my Library of America edition of Chandler's "Early Years". While "Red Wind" has the best opening paragraph you'll ever read in a short story, the story itself wasn't the best of the five. "Guns at Cyrano's" and "Goldfish," especially, are better. This latter story has a Hitchcock flavor to it. "Blackmailers Don't Shoot" is ...more
Averin
Mar 25, 2013 Averin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, favourites
Actually, I read this in high school and do not remember where. I re-read it last year to support a paper for English that I had to write on my own haiku. Since the poem was about the Santa Anas (the Red Wind) of my native Los Angeles and it's been a few years since I went home, I googled it and found it online here. Try it, not even geography professors can resist quoting from Red Wind. "Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife …"

It's a perfect Philip Marlowe story, only seven cha
Malcolm Noble
Jan 01, 2014 Malcolm Noble rated it it was amazing
I have been a great Chandler fan since my teenage and have several bookcases of the different titles and edition. However, if I am to choose just one to list here, it has to be Red Wind. A super title story supported by other vg ones. Found my first copy at a bootfair in 1982 ... very ragged cloth, but looks quite good now as I've had it rebound in leather. Subsequently came across other copies of the first edition. Not difficult to find and well worth the effort. Don't settle for recent ...more
Jim Clinton Slusher
Jun 02, 2015 Jim Clinton Slusher rated it it was amazing
"Red Wind" is a wonderful story, filled with incredible dialogue, vivid description and memorable characters. It's definitely from that detective noire genre and the language will take you back to the '40s & '50s, but it never feels dated to me. Just tough, gentle and moody, all at the same time. This is the third time I've read it. I appreciate it anew, and get something new out of it, every time. Thanks to Richard Battin for turning me on to it in the first place.
Bap
Nov 08, 2008 Bap rated it liked it
The Red Wind: Very pulpy. Very LA. A murder or two, a detective, some clumsy cops and a dame. Chandler once described LA as a "big hard-boiled city with no more personality than a paper cup." His books a hard broiled as well with not a lot of depth but fun.
Sundry
Oct 09, 2007 Sundry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Raymond Chandler read by Eliot Gould. Wonderful! Sometimes I laughed out loud with sheer pleasure at the way Chandler uses the language.
PJ Dlamini
Feb 28, 2016 PJ Dlamini rated it it was amazing
Red Wind was my Hardboiled fiction read. The dialogue, the prose, the aesthetic of this story is so exciting. the one liners, from a dead era (there has to be a revival of this prose style!)

Neo-Hardboiled fiction anyone?
Kara Troglin
Sep 30, 2010 Kara Troglin rated it really liked it
Red Wind was a fabulous read. It was my first introduction to Raymond Chandler and the pulp/mystery/Black Mask way of writing. I was thoroughly impressed with how well he kept me on my toes and the intertwining messages of violence, passion, and mystery.
Chandler is one of a kind!
Sam
Mar 09, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
have only read 'Red Wind' and none of the other stories, but I loved it. Started strong, I could hear the lonely sax and see the dark, melancholy cast of characters. Noir at it's finest.
Alice
Sep 01, 2010 Alice rated it liked it
This was an e-book we listened to while driving to/from Entiat. It was OK - the right length for a trip over.
Tamara Bingham
May 27, 2011 Tamara Bingham rated it really liked it
Very 1940s - 50s LA detective noir... Fun - if you're into that kind of thing. Also really fun to hear about the geography of LA back then.
Matt
Nov 10, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
The template for all modern gumshoe literature. Plus: 'Red Wind' uses Southern California's Devil Winds as a supporting character. The Santa Anas can never have enough ink.

Cheers.
Francesca Ponassi
Una raccolta di racconti per avvicinarsi al mondo dell'hard-boiled

Silas
Silas rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Doc Robinson
Doc Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Seattle Mystery Bookshop
Seattle Mystery Bookshop rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2009
Lauren  Librarian
Lauren Librarian rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2008
Eva-Lynn
Eva-Lynn rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2015
Percy Dlamini
Percy Dlamini rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Edward Woodgate
Edward Woodgate rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2015
Laura Pătru
Laura Pătru rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • La traducción
  • The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret
  • Manja
  • Drohnenland
  • Nightmare Town
  • Upp till toppen av berget (A-gruppen, #3)
  • Might as Well Be Dead (Nero Wolfe, #27)
  • Mike Hammer: Lady, Go Die!
  • Coule la Seine (Commissaire Adamsberg, #5)
  • The Premature Burial
  • Toronto Noir
  • Lo contrario de la muerte
  • Nicobobinus
  • Pioggia
  • The Widow
  • Chicago Noir
  • Rytuał
  • Broere : de oudste, de stilste, de echtste, de verste, de liefste, de snelste, en ik
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In
More about Raymond Chandler...

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.” 106 likes