Start by marking “Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories

Red Wind: A Collection of Short Stories

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Collection of Chandler's short stories previously printed in Dime Detective, Black Mask, and The Saturday Evening Post in the 1930s. Stories are "Red Wind," "Blackmailers Don't Shoot," "I'll Be Waiting," "Goldfish," and "Guns at Cyrano's."
Published 1946 by Cleveland: World Publishing Company (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Red Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Wind

Linda
"Red Wind" is the title of a short story written by Raymond Chandler. Raymond Chandler is considered by some the father of hard-boiled crime fiction, and "Red Wind" is supposed to be the best of his short stories. This is why I grabbed the audiobook, Red Wind, narrated by Elliott Gould, on Audible.com, which is not the story collection pictured in GR's version listed above. Anyway...

Chandler's P.I. isn't new to me. He's the Humphrey Bogart character, Philip Marlowe (The Big Sleep), who can size
Kem White
I really like Raymond Chandler... a unique style in American writing. And while I didn't actually read this particular volume, I did read all 5 of this book's stories in my Library of America edition of Chandler's "Early Years". While "Red Wind" has the best opening paragraph you'll ever read in a short story, the story itself wasn't the best of the five. "Guns at Cyrano's" and "Goldfish," especially, are better. This latter story has a Hitchcock flavor to it. "Blackmailers Don't Shoot" is prett ...more
yexxo
Jonny Dalmas, Privatdetektiv, gönnt sich unweit seines Appartements in einer Bar ein Bier. Doch urplötzlich wird er Zeuge eines völlig überraschenden Mordes: Ein offenbar völlig Betrunkener erschießt einen Gast, der kurz zuvor hereinkam und nach einer Frau suchte, und flüchtet unerkannt. Mit seiner Aussage bei der Polizei wäre die Sache nun eigentlich für Dalmas erledigt, doch als er sich auf den Heimweg macht, steht ihm plötzlich die gesuchte Frau gegenüber. Er nimmt sich ihrer an und kurz dara ...more
Jim Clinton Slusher
"Red Wind" is a wonderful story, filled with incredible dialogue, vivid description and memorable characters. It's definitely from that detective noire genre and the language will take you back to the '40s & '50s, but it never feels dated to me. Just tough, gentle and moody, all at the same time. This is the third time I've read it. I appreciate it anew, and get something new out of it, every time. Thanks to Richard Battin for turning me on to it in the first place.
Malcolm Noble
I have been a great Chandler fan since my teenage and have several bookcases of the different titles and edition. However, if I am to choose just one to list here, it has to be Red Wind. A super title story supported by other vg ones. Found my first copy at a bootfair in 1982 ... very ragged cloth, but looks quite good now as I've had it rebound in leather. Subsequently came across other copies of the first edition. Not difficult to find and well worth the effort. Don't settle for recent reprint ...more
Averin
Actually, I read this in high school and do not remember where. I re-read it last year to support a paper for English that I had to write on my own haiku. Since the poem was about the Santa Anas (the Red Wind) of my native Los Angeles and it's been a few years since I went home, I googled it and found it online here. Try it, not even geography professors can resist quoting from Red Wind. "Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife …"

It's a perfect Philip Marlowe story, only seven cha
Kara Troglin
Red Wind was a fabulous read. It was my first introduction to Raymond Chandler and the pulp/mystery/Black Mask way of writing. I was thoroughly impressed with how well he kept me on my toes and the intertwining messages of violence, passion, and mystery.
Chandler is one of a kind!
Bap
The Red Wind: Very pulpy. Very LA. A murder or two, a detective, some clumsy cops and a dame. Chandler once described LA as a "big hard-boiled city with no more personality than a paper cup." His books a hard broiled as well with not a lot of depth but fun.
Sundry
Raymond Chandler read by Eliot Gould. Wonderful! Sometimes I laughed out loud with sheer pleasure at the way Chandler uses the language.
Matt
The template for all modern gumshoe literature. Plus: 'Red Wind' uses Southern California's Devil Winds as a supporting character. The Santa Anas can never have enough ink.

Cheers.
Sam
have only read 'Red Wind' and none of the other stories, but I loved it. Started strong, I could hear the lonely sax and see the dark, melancholy cast of characters. Noir at it's finest.
Francesca Ponassi
Una raccolta di racconti per avvicinarsi al mondo dell'hard-boiled

Tamara Crater
Very 1940s - 50s LA detective noir... Fun - if you're into that kind of thing. Also really fun to hear about the geography of LA back then.
Alice
This was an e-book we listened to while driving to/from Entiat. It was OK - the right length for a trip over.
Jess
One of the most wonderful first paragraphs I have ever read.
Imanza
Imanza added it
Jul 13, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Jul 07, 2015
Todd
Todd added it
Jul 06, 2015
Francesco
Francesco marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Rich Mullen
Rich Mullen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Kunaal
Kunaal marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Colleen Thomas
Colleen Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Tom Stamper
Tom Stamper marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
  • The Case Of The Stepdaughter's Secret
  • Upp till toppen av berget (A-gruppen, #3)
  • Nightmare Town
  • Might as Well Be Dead (Nero Wolfe, #27)
  • The Widow
  • چنين گذشت بر من
  • Coule la Seine (Commissaire Adamsberg, #5)
  • The Premature Burial
  • Rytuał
  • La famiglia Karnowski
  • Broere : de oudste, de stilste, de echtste, de verste, de liefste, de snelste, en ik
  • Nästan död man (Inspector Winter, #9)
  • Chicago Noir
  • A Hell of a Woman: An Anthology of Female Noir
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • Tales of O. Henry
  • Du
  • The Old Man in the Corner
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In
More about Raymond Chandler...
The Big Sleep The Long Goodbye Farewell, My Lovely The Lady in the Lake The High Window

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge.” 95 likes