Start by marking “A Call to Die: A 40 Day Journey of Fasting from the World & Feasting on God” as Want to Read:
A Call to Die: A 40 Day Journey of Fasting from the World & Feasting on God

A Call to Die: A 40 Day Journey of Fasting from the World & Feasting on God

A 40 day journey of fasting from the world and feasting on God. A book of 40 devotions combined with space for a personal journal. This book examines some of the hard teachings of Christ, as well as God's disciplines for believers.
Published January 1st 2008 by Redemptive Art Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Call to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Call to Die

Paul
Nov 08, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
Nasser has created a book that even the non-reader will enjoy reading. He does this by creating forty short chapters (4-5 pages), that always starts with a short scripture passage that lays the foundation. His writing is filled with memorable illustrations, flickers of humor, and a challenge to an area of life that can hinder our devotion to Jesus Christ. When I read as a teen, often I would read a page and take in absolutely nothing as my mind was not focused. Nasser battles this by ending each ...more
Lori
Dec 13, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most challenging & effective devotional books I've ever read. Each chapter is a manageable length & ends with questions that you are prompted to answer by writing responses in the book. This format results in a more interactive reading experience and makes me feel more accountable - a daunting, but positive thing! The author asks tough questions, but questions that I need to take seriously if I truly seek a close, meaningful relationship with God. There's no better way ...more
Chris Mclain
Jul 27, 2011 Chris Mclain rated it it was amazing
I don't read devotional books, most of the time I personally find them hollow and superficial, but Nasser's "A Call to Die" was a great journey. It is serious and encouraging, and if you don't want God to rock your boat, I suggest you wait to read it till you do. Speaking as a youth minister, this study has a lot to offer to every believer, no matter what level they are in with their relationship to God. I highly recommend it.
Kelly
Jan 17, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Unless you are ready to be changed, do not read this book! It is very thought provoking, convicting, humbling, and challenging. David has done an awesome job not only with the content of this book but also the organization. It's as if each day prepared you for the next. If you can get through Day 14 without being changed, let me know.
Stephen Weaver
Feb 19, 2008 Stephen Weaver rated it it was amazing
nassar is a stud... did it in 40 days with friends, we became brothers
Lisa
Sep 21, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
It is impossible to finish this book as the same person who started it. Even the second time through the book. Deeply provoking, spiritually challenging, cut to the heart bridging the chasm between who you are and who you were created to be. Interesting and applicable to teens as well as adults.
Tina
Sep 17, 2008 Tina rated it liked it
What I enjoyed most about reading this book was it was a little more challenging than a book club since we each gave up something (we really enjoyed) for 40 days. Getting together to discuss not only the book but each of our struggles was really eye opening - depending on what each gave up. The book and more so the discussions really made me realize how blessed or spoiled (however anyone wants to look at it) we Americans are. The one thing that remained with me from this book was "cheap grace".
Caleb
Oct 31, 2014 Caleb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy book to read. I remember my youth group going through this book, and it really affected me. The best comparison I can make is to the exercise regimens of "Insanity" or "P90X"... only for fasting from something.... anything. It's a good book in general to help you stop a bad habit, or just to focus on spiritual things for 40 days.
Jenna
Jan 25, 2015 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Amazing but a challenging book, because it opens your eyes to how selfish your lifestyle is. Highly encourage all followers of Christ to go through this book and see how God makes changes in your life. I am thinking of re-reading this.
Darrell
Feb 14, 2010 Darrell rated it liked it
Probably should have a different title. It's really about becoming like Jesus on a daily basis, and that's all about living.

Chapters should be longer and more fully developed. Content is near 7th grade reading level. Repetitive questions in each chapter are a little mundane.
Joe Cox
Aug 03, 2012 Joe Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: joe-s-top-shelf
Great devotion written about following Jesus before people were writing books like that for students.
Keith Feisel
May 13, 2015 Keith Feisel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best devotionals I have read. Reminds me of Steve Camp or Keith Green... Life-changing if you will let God use this book to speak truth to your heart.
Aaron W. Matthews
Jan 09, 2013 Aaron W. Matthews rated it it was amazing
I pick this book often simply to re-read portions that have enlightened, encouraged, or challenged me. Nasser has written an endearing classic of the Christian faith. Love it!
Cody Terry
Cody Terry rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
Stacy
Apr 24, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
Challenging 40 day devotional we did in conjunction with our church, during Lent.
Ann W.
Ann W. rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Lacey
Lacey rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Czook52
Czook52 rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Linnea
Linnea rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Leslie Bullock
Leslie Bullock rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Ashley Hudlow
Ashley Hudlow rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Laura Musfeldt
Laura Musfeldt rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2008
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Nathaniel
Nathaniel rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Carlos Santos
Carlos Santos rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Dalphne Keith
Dalphne Keith rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Priya Paul
Priya Paul rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Danielle Setina
Danielle Setina rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Scott Miller
Scott Miller rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Case for Christ, Youth Edition: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence of Jesus
  • Flashbang: How I Got Over Myself
  • Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions from the Writings of Brennan Manning
  • Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts
  • Divine Healing: A Scriptural Approach to Sickness, Faith and Healing
  • Jesus: 90 Days With the One and Only (Personal Reflections)
  • Now You're Speaking My Language: Honest Communication and Deeper Intimacy for a Stronger Marriage
  • The Heart of the Artist: A Character-Building Guide for You and Your Ministry Team
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • Has Christianity Failed You?
  • Come Before Winter and ... Share My Hope
  • The Family: A Christian Perspective On The Contemporary Home
  • Holy Bible: NIV Teen Study Bible, Revised (New International Version)
  • The Women's Devotional Guide to the Bible: A One-Year Plan for Studying, Praying, and Responding to God's Word
  • If Not for the Grace of God: Learning to Live Independent of Frustrations and Struggles
  • Ten Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe
  • The Finale
  • A Divine Revelation of Angels
Part speaker, author, visionary and ALL minister, David Nasser’s greatest passion is to connect people to the living God. David uses relevant methods to communicate the life-changing messages of the gospel to more than 700,000 people annually. David and his family live in Alabama, the home of D. Nasser Outreach.
More about David Nasser...