Start by marking “The Deadly Dungeon” as Want to Read:
The Deadly Dungeon

The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries #4)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,173 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
While visiting Wallis's castle, Dink and his friends investigate strange noises that lead them to a dangerous secret.
Published 1999 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1998)

Marisa
Aug 26, 2015 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review by my 6 year old:
This was a fun book to read with my mom. I really liked it a lot. It was exciting to read. At first I was scared, but the end it wasn't scary any more.
Diego
Mar 13, 2014 Diego rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Deadly Dungeon : by Ron Roy
This is a good book talks about three guys and a adult the names of the guys are :Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose they go to a few holidays to the house of an uncle its that is close to the beach they are traveling in a bus together with an adult who takes care of them the name of its uncle is wallis they are anxious for coming and knowing how the beach is the place where they are going to live when they come to the place before they come to the house of its uncle he(she
Dan Prillwitz
Jan 10, 2014 Dan Prillwitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Deadly Dungeon” is a book written about three kids Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose who are going to visit their friend Wallis Wallace. The journey starts off with the three riding in a bus on the way to Belfast, Maine where they would be picked up by Wallis. To their surprise Wallis does not pick them up ,but her brother Walker does. Walker takes them to Wallis’ castle and they settle in and eat. The next day they go lobstering with Walker. They come back and eat in this playhouse at Wallis’ cast ...more
Aaron_ebert
May 17, 2013 Aaron_ebert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a mystery and children the ages of 8-12
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: Corbin Billington
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Deadly Dungeon" by Ron Roy is a book where Josh, Dink, and Ruth Rose go to the Moose Manor in Pennsylvania to visit their good friends, Wallis Wallace and Walker Wallace. While they're there, there is a screech within the walls of the manor. The screech is thought to be the Ghost of Emory Scott. The manor is located on a hill and at the base of the hill is a cave. The group decides to explore the cave. Within the cave they find a dungeon that holds two endangered, caged parrots. Later that ...more
Deepthi Herga
Nov 19, 2015 Deepthi Herga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snugli-books
My 7 - year old has finished the entire set of the A to Z mysteries (including all the super editions). I started reading them because I wanted to find out how good these mysteries are and after I started, I finished the entire set myself. This will be a common review for all the books in the set (so please forgive me if you see this repeated under another book).

First of all, the mystery part of the book is fairly simple for an adult, but I can see how it can keep a kid engrossed. The characters
Heather Elliott
Nov 16, 2015 Heather Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Deadly Dungeon" by Ron Roy is a mystery novel for young children grades 2 to 4. The book begins with Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose riding in a van on the way to Belfast, Maine to have a sleepover in a castle. Wallis Wallace, Dink's favorite writer, had invited them. All of the kids heard screams behind the walls as soon as they arrived and they were calmly told that every castle is haunted- it is no big deal. The book continues on with the children trying to figure out who or what is haunting M ...more
Corbin Billington
“A-Z Mysteries: The Deadly Dungeon” is based on a group of friends who have a similar interest in an Author. They visit her house to find there is a dungeon in the basement and eventually want to explore it to find a ghost. This book was a good read and was easy to finish while keeping my attention. I rated this book three of five stars because I felt the book was too easy to read for my age of people. I recommend this book to all young readers who are interested in mystery books.
Katie Gibson
Apr 05, 2015 Katie Gibson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This A to Z Mysteries book, called “The Deadly Dungeon” is a great mystery book for kids in grades 2-4. Growing up, I always used to read the Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children and Hardee Boys books, however, I was never introduced to the A to Z Mysteries books. Now that I have read one, I really wish I had been exposed to them when I was in elementary school. I was very engaged by this book and I think it had lots of suspense and literary elements throughout.

In this book, the three children, Ruth Ros
Shashvat
Dec 29, 2015 Shashvat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose are invited to famous writer, Wallis Willis's house. But when they get there, they always hear a screaming voice in the house and they find green feathers all over the place! Then the find a trap door and a huge tunnel. When they went in, they saw what made the noise. It was something not so spooky-parrots!!! I really like this book for the ongoing suspense and the twist end.
Katy
Jul 11, 2016 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my Summer Reading challenge for next year's class.

Our three kid sleuths visit the haunted castle owned by their favorite author. While there, they wonder why it is haunted and set off discover why.

I think these are cute mysteries that could help a reluctant reader become interested in mysteries.
Emily
Aug 17, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction, mystery
I had never read an A to Z Mystery, and I'm trying to sample all of the major kids' mystery series. This series is just right for the after Junie B. Jones set--just a little harder, but the chapters are fairly short and there are still some pictures. Three friends, Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose, are visiting an author that they saved in one of the previous books in the series. The author lives in a castle that is believed to be haunted, and there are strange sounding shrieks from time to time, but n ...more
Mahin711 Swagger Down
This series is pretty interesting. In this particular book the three detectives try to figure out the mystery of the haunted dungeon. The owner of the castle believes that her castle is haunted but the three detectives figure out that someone had been putting parrots in the basement to make the creepy noises. The big idea of this book is that you shouldn't trespass into other property.
At first the three detectives went to visit Wallis, the lady with the haunted castle. She thought her house w
Trisha
May 22, 2014 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has been my favorite one so far! My youngest and I are slowly making our way through the series and this was the first one that she guessed "who done it" way early on.

But it was great to hear where Wallace Wallace lives. too bad we're doing the audio and are missing all those pictures!
Reagan
Mar 13, 2016 Reagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are invited to have a sleepover with Wallis at an old castle. There, something kept making very creepy noises. Can they find out who or what is making that awful noise? Read the book to find out!
I really like this book. You should read it. It is amazing.
Christy
Jun 28, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
Dink's favorite mystery writer, Wallis Wallace, has invited Dink, Josh, and
Ruth Rose for a sleepover - in a haunted castle! But as soon as the young
detectives arrive, they start hearing screams behind the walls. Will they
discover who - or what - is haunting Moose Manor?
Marlee
Jan 30, 2014 Marlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun for my children, ages 9 and 6. It was even easier to figure out than the others. It was short and easy to read. My son was a little disappointed that we didn't learn about the kittens from the last book. For an adult, this series would be quite dull. However, this has so far been a great series for young children.
Beth Anne
Dec 16, 2014 Beth Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2014
Read aloud to Emma and Will. This is a fun series, and it was fun to hear them making guesses about what will happen next. I was impressed with their guesses! And they were fooled by the misinformation clues that I was able to see through.
Robert
Mar 16, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-owen
5 stars. Why? Owen likes dungeons, castles, going fishing, and being in boats. He likes the stories with robbers in them. For me, I appreciated the existence of a real mystery, though the existence of a robber takes quite a while to develop.
Emily
Jun 06, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
Dink, Ruth Rose, and their friend Josh explore a haunted castle by the sea. My child kept saying, "When are they going into the Deadly Dungeon?" which was a reasonable criticism, in terms of authorial promises made.
Raiyaan Bhombal
I downloaded this app thinking i will be able to download and read the books... Is it available ?? If yes then pls someone direct me to how to do so.. If no then i recommend ull to also provide reading the books
Kara Buck
Feb 21, 2016 Kara Buck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book does a good job of always keeping you on your toes. It is very descriptive and paints a very strong and vivid picture. It was like I was helping them solve the mystery of Emory Scotts ghost. I chose this book because I love mystery books. This book is sure to keep anyone on their toes.
Austin Phadoungsyavong
I think good read book this start Green Lawn ride bus go to Belfast, Maine and at Moose Manor that where fun trip but those three kids think really ghost or something strange about cave or dungeon.
Kaytee
Jul 23, 2015 Kaytee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
they found out that there was a deadly dungeon then they found these green parrets then got locked in they found another way and the parrets safe who hid the parrets there
Seth
Sep 06, 2014 Seth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: by-myself
they went to a castle! it was an authors castle. her name was wallace waces. kert almost killed parrots! they solved the mystery!
Edward Creter
This one si toooo easy. A 3-year-old could solve this one in the first 3 seconds max! Our three junior detectives--Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose--are invited to Belfast, maine to a castle owned by the reclusive and beautiful Wallis Wallace, once rescued in volume A (Or is it the other way around?) to warn them that the castle is haunted by screams in the night...and if they're lucky, they can go lobster fishing. So our Mystery Machine Trio wander the dungeons, stumble on poachers and snack on DUNGENN ...more
Pasquale
Oct 20, 2015 Pasquale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: childrens
una lettura leggere e piacevole per me, ovviamente è per bambini che la troveranno bella e anche un pò... spaventosa ;)
Rachel Ferguson
Jul 04, 2015 Rachel Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skinny-chapter
fun romp in a castle. they find a secret dungeon and solve the mystery of the movie actor's screaming ghost.
Ethan
Jul 13, 2014 Ethan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do not like this book because it is scary. But I picked it because I thought it would be interesting.
Miho Kobayashi
-RANDOM HOUSE,level 2.4
-Time 10/9 = 20 minutes: 10/14 = 60 minutes
-7-word summary: Wallis - invited - Dink - Josh - Ruth - terrible - visit
-Discussion questions:
1.Do you like mystery?
Yes, I like it very much because it is a little fear, but it is fun to continue to read and finaly, I am always surprised at ending!
2.Whose novel do you often read?
I like Keigo Higashino's novel. His mystery is very interesting, so I not often but sometimes read it.

I like mysteries so I was attracted to title of thi
Mac West
Jun 09, 2014 Mac West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked the book. it is really good to read, and it has a lot of mysteries to solve.
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Stage Fright on a Summer Night (Magic Tree House, #25)
  • Nate the Great San Francisco Detective
  • Yikes Bikes! (Ready, Freddy!, #7)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)

“away from the library as he, Dink, and Ruth Rose came down” 0 likes