Start by marking “Compleat Cat” as Want to Read:
Compleat Cat

Compleat Cat

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Cleveland Amory's three classic cat stories have been compiled for the first time into one edition, The Compleat Cat, an enchanting, moving, and humorous collection. A self-confessed curmudgeon and dog lover firmly established in his ways, Cleveland Amory never anticipated how one dirty and scrawny alley cat could affect his life so dramatically. Underneath the New York gr ...more
Hardcover
Published 2002 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Compleat Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compleat Cat

W.B.
I could say Cleveland Amory is an acquired taste, but whenever that cliche comes to mind I instantly think of Harry Dean Stanton's smart-ass riposte to (was it Crispin Glover?) in Almereyda's Twister: "It seems to me you can acquire a taste for anything, but the question is, why would you want to?" That's not the movie with the cows flying around. That's the schlub Twister. And so it is with Amory. One wonders why one is bothering to try to acquire a taste for an author who is a self-admitted cu ...more
Jen Howie
Oh man. To be fair I have had this book sitting on my shelf for almost two decades and it's been almost that long since I've tried to read it. The reason I own a copy is because in 1995 we had a white cat and I am a cat fanatic and an avid reader so my husband thought I needed to read this book. I maybe made it halfway thru and gave up. My goal is to pick it back up again the the new year and start from scratch. I can't ever remember what it's about only that this book has been a joke for so lon ...more
Lynn
Amory was the founder of the Fund for Animals in New York City and president of the New England Anti-Vivisection League.
The 3 books included in this volume are all fantastic and can be read independently, but if you read them in order (The Cat Who Came for Christmas, The Cat and the Curmudgeon, The Best Cat Ever)...you're in for a treat. You will get caught up in the story of this rough and tough man who melts when he saves Polar Bear, a stray he found in the rain.
Some smiles...but alas, as in r
Rhonda
Jul 05, 2013 Rhonda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat owners and animal activists
This book is the best book ever. Three books in one that I loved so much that I read it twice and liked it even more the second time. Cleveland Amory's satire is so genius that even though he never met me he wrote this book specifically to me and for me. Clearly non-cat dog people may not "get" all of the inside jokes but any animal lover will appreciate Cleveland Amory's contribution to saving animals around the world and the US (he is the original creator of our Humane Society).
Janet
There were three complete (or "compleat") novels in this anthology. The first book was completely about Polar Bear with Amory only occasionally talking about himself. The second was split pretty equally concerning Polar Bear's life and Amory's life. By the time I got halfway through the third book, Amory's life takes center stage with only occasional vague references to the cat. I finally gave up because I was interested in the cat, not the man.
Ronna
Jan 08, 2015 Ronna added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Ronna passed away before she could finish this book.
Anne Teensma
I did not care for these books at all. They seemed less about the cat than they were about the author using the cat as a segue into unrelated anecdotes. There were many, many tangents that literally took pages upon pages to get back to the original topic.

Polar Bear, for the little I heard of him, seemed adorable.
Nathan
Combining a wit reminiscent of P.G. Wodehouse with a compassion all his own, Cleveland Amory is a good pick not only for cat lovers, but anyone who cares about animals. Though he tends towards repetitiveness (a little Amory goes a long way), his humor and heart are evident throughout.
Ana
I would strongly recommend these books to ANY animal lover. Even if you are a dog person, Cleveland Amory smart but witty humor gives a descriptive idea of what you don't think of when you adopt an animal.
Linda
I did not like this book at all. I did not find it entertaining it was more like reading a text book. I love my cats, but this guy is one of those freaky obsessed cat people, that I just can't relate to.
Melanie
This has to be one of my favorite books of all-time. You have to love cats to like it, but I do. The things he says in this book and the stories he tells have stuck with me for years and years.
Erin
These books are adorable. They are about a curmudgeonly bachelor and his car Polar Bear. Cleveland Amory was an extraordinary man who founded Black Beauty Ranch.
Tamara
I picked this book up on impulse and fell in love with it. The writing style of Mr Amory is just wonderful and pulls you right in.
Margaret Nahmias
Of all the three, I liked the first and third the best. The second gets too much off topic. These books show the bond between cat and man.
Lori
I loved this story about Cleveland Amory's snowy white kitty, who when found, was so dirty, he thought it was gray at first.
Jonette
I love Cleveland Amory's tales of his adventures with a peculiar cat who crossed his path and found a place in his heart.
Carol
Being a cat lover, I couldn't help but love this book. It's been awhile since I've read it, but I do remember enjoying it.
Chris Bowles
Cleveland Amory's compleat cat : three volumes in one by Cleveland Amory (1995)
Siren
Aug 31, 2012 Siren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: cats
This book brings back good memories and warm fuzzy feelings.
Megan
Cleveland Amory's Compleat Cat by Cleveland Amory (1995)
Trish
A must for cat lovers/animal lovers everywhere
Melissa
i just love cats
Charlotte
Charlotte is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2015
E.D.
E.D. added it
Jun 29, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • The Cats' House
  • Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • As I See It: The Autobiography of J. Paul Getty
  • Embraced By The Light
  • Harriette Wilson's Memoirs: The Greatest Courtesan of Her Age
  • Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, The New American: Revised and Enlarged Edition
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • A Begonia for Miss Applebaum
  • Return to Sodom & Gomorrah
  • Granny's Wonderful Chair
  • Superfoods Healthstyle: Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health
Cleveland Amory was an American author who devoted his life to promoting animal rights. He was perhaps best known for his books about his cat, named Polar Bear, whom he saved from the Manhattan streets on Christmas Eve 1977. The executive director of the Humane Society of the United States described Amory as „the founding father of the modern animal protection movement.“
More about Cleveland Amory...
The Cat Who Came for Christmas (Compleat Cat #1) The Cat and the Curmudgeon The Best Cat Ever Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story The Proper Bostonians