Start by marking “Immodest Proposals (The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Immodest Proposals (The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn, #1)

Immodest Proposals (The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn #1)

Immodest Proposals contains the majority of William Tenn's short science fiction. It includes such classic stories as "Child's Play," "Time in Advance," "Down Among the Dead Men," and "On Venus, Have We Got a Rabbi."

The next volume on the series, Here Comes Civilization, will contain the remainder of his short science fiction, the novel Of Men and Monsters, and the short n
Published June 1st 2001 by Nesfa Press (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Immodest Proposals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immodest Proposals

Stephen
4.5 stars. What an amazing collection of stories....at least those that I have read so far, which include the four listed below. I have never read anything by William Tenn (aka Philip Klass) but after sampling the work in this collection, I would say he is an under-rated gem from the golden age of science fiction (most of the stories were written between 1946 and 1957).

"Down Among the Dead Men" (5.5 stars) - A truly superb piece of story-telling about a prolonged interstellar war and the price t
Michael Battaglia
Dec 05, 2016 Michael Battaglia rated it it was amazing
When you go through these complete collections of various SF writers (especially the sets that NESFA puts out, which I find pretty valuable) you often find that they're collecting writers who have either fallen in obscurity or weren't given their due during the time they were active and have only be rediscovered years later. William Tenn is a strange case, though. Pretty well regarded when he was active (from the late 40s to the late 60s) to the point where he had people like Theodore Sturgeon r ...more
Marc Goldstein
Feb 04, 2013 Marc Goldstein rated it really liked it
8 “Down Among the Dead Men”
Told from the POV of a weary veteran. Humanity is at war with an insectoid race that breeds prolifically. To compete, scientists have found methods to recycle tissue from casualties into human clones. The first clones are blank-eyed, emotionless, and can only perform mundane chores. The human crews take to calling the clones “zombies” and treat them with disdain. The protagonist is given command of a new ship. He prepares to meet with his all-zombie crew. The new clon
Riju Ganguly
Apr 03, 2012 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
How exactly, can I go about ‘reviewing’ a book containing some of the most famous and ‘classic’ science-fiction (and fantasy, because they are literally fantastic) stories, after reading it over a longish period? Simply: by jotting down things that I loved, some that I liked, and some that I didn’t.

The stories in this book that I loved were:
1. The Ghost Standard
7. The Sickness
8. The Jester
Bria
Jun 30, 2012 Bria rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I had not heard of William Tenn and only just happened across him in a used bookstore and inexplicably found the back of one of his books appealing enough to note for later investigation. Has everybody been going out of their way to keep him from me? It seems unbelievable it could happen by accident. Although his stories are definitely steeped in the culture of the 50s, they seem so much more mature and less restricted by that time period than almost any others I have read. And b ...more
Kate
Dec 31, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SciFi fans, people who like corny jokes
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
The trouble with collections of one author's works is the same trouble with a package of Double-Stuffed Oreos. I can't read only a couple of stories at a time - or eat only a couple of Oreos at a time! You can imagine what that means to my waistline. As for my reading life, I get overloaded on a given author quickly and don't give the stories later in the book as much attention as the earlier ones.

However, with this book, I only had time to read one or two stories each night before sleep. It to
Christopher Richardson
Dec 04, 2016 Christopher Richardson rated it it was amazing
This was perhaps the best science fiction collection I have discovered. Far out ideas, unexpected resolutions, and a variety of philosophical precepts mixed with humor and a wide array of topics make this a lot of fun. Some provision must be made in the science due to the timing of its writing, but I give all science fiction a pass.
Richard Anderson
May 26, 2012 Richard Anderson rated it really liked it
Fairly dated, but contains a few real classics, such as "Brooklyn Project" and "Lisbon Cubed".
Vincent Darlage
Mar 11, 2010 Vincent Darlage rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This was probably one of the most amazing collections of sci-fi short stories I have ever read.
Ed
Sep 12, 2007 Ed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Some of the best science fiction short stories ever written. "Down among the dead men" will haunt you for the rest of your life.
Sharonlee
Sep 14, 2010 Sharonlee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes good sci-or just good writing
Recommended to Sharonlee by: Elizabeth Zimmer
What a wonderful writer. Although I didn't love all the stories, there were some that I thought were amazing and all had something to offer. My favorite was the zombie story.
John Armstrong
John Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Roger Ross
Roger Ross rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Boris
Boris rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Ein
Ein rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2008
René Beaulieu
René Beaulieu rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2010
Bonnie Jeanne
Jan 25, 2009 Bonnie Jeanne marked it as to-read
Immodest Proposals: The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn, Volume 1 by William Tenn (2001)
Robert James
Robert James rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Esther_a
Esther_a rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2007
Ernest
Ernest rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
William Lexner
William Lexner rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Mark Babijaev
Mark Babijaev rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Christopher Conlon
Christopher Conlon rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
John Handforth
John Handforth rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Bjørn Olav Listog
Bjørn Olav Listog rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2011
Tim Newton
Tim Newton rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
What's The Name o...: Woman created in lab by scientist father [s] 13 212 Nov 16, 2012 04:58AM
William Tenn is the pseudonym of Philip Klass. He was born in London on May 9, 1920, and immigrated to the United States with his parents before his second birthday and grew up in Brooklyn, New York. After serving in the United States Army as a combat engineer in Europe, he held a job as a technical editor with an Air Force radar and radio laboratory and was employed by Bell Labs.

He began writing
More about William Tenn...

The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn (3 books)
  • Here Comes Civilization (The Complete Science Fiction of William Tenn, #2)
  • Dancing Naked: The Unexpurgated William Tenn