Start by marking “Through a Glass, Darkly” as Want to Read:
Through a Glass, Darkly

Through a Glass, Darkly

Steeped in classic horror, this chilling contemporary taledeals with secrets long buried, festering guilt, and haunting loneliness

Jack Trent, the most effective criminal investigation officer in the history of the department, is having bad dreams of a child's murder in a forest at the hands of something indescribable. But these are more than nightmares — they are visions o
Published June 1st 2008 by Beautiful Books

To ask other readers questions about Through a Glass, Darkly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through a Glass, Darkly

Lou
Jul 23, 2011 Lou rated it really liked it
A chilling read, in some chapters you are taken back into the past into the beginning of a village Crow Haven, it seems to be damned by some curse or evil spirits from its first creation. The main protagonist Jack discovers this reading through a diary and book named Transfiguration of souls. Bill Hussey's debut is a work of startling imagination. With a haunting narrative voice and vivid imagery, Hussey paints a melancholic, yet beautiful tapestry that readers won't forget he writes with a lite ...more
Joanne Sheppard
Sep 18, 2012 Joanne Sheppard rated it it was ok
Everything I'd read about Through A Glass, Darkly, the 2008 debut novel of Bill Hussey, suggested that I would love it. A horror novel set in an isolated, insular Fenland village. It features a sinister villain who materialises now and again to terrorise children, and his name is Elijah Mendicant, or the Crowman. The Crowman. Yes. Like the creepy one in the black hat from Worzel Gummidge. Seriously, anyone who knows me well would imagine this book to be tailored exclusively to my horror needs.

So
Gemma
Nov 12, 2016 Gemma rated it really liked it
3.5 really. The writing was so visual I thought I was watching a really long movie. Nice ending.
GUD Magazine
In Bill Hussey's debut novel, a centuries-old pall of evil hangs over the small village of Crow Haven, personified by a mysterious figure known as the Crowman. When the young Simon Malahyde disappears apparently without cause, and young boys are abducted, then found dead and mutilated, DI Jack Trent is paired with his colleague and ex-girlfriend DS Dawn Howard to investigate.

Trent is already familiar with the supernatural. A childhood near-death experience has left him infested by demons that gi
Melanie Rodriguez
Aug 17, 2013 Melanie Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
"Remember Jack; God is with you."

Or was he?

Inspector Jack Trent is what others call an odd loner - he doesn't play well with others, he keeps to himself, and he has an uncanny intuition where others in the force have called it "paranormal". Little do they know that Jack does indeed, have a "gift".

Jack has what he calls "the dreaming" - when he does dream, he sees a horrific event that does come true. The ones behind "the dreaming", he calls demons. They have lived inside him since the accident
Rich
Nov 25, 2016 Rich rated it it was ok
A young man from Crow Haven disappears, the police investigation uncovers connections with missing children and discover an ancient evil is waiting to be re-born.

Disappointingly routine horror. Hussey has some good ideas but something just doesn't work here. The book starts off well but by the half-way point it gets in a rut. The structure doesn't help. There are too many manuscripts handed round to the hero which just go over and over information that any perceptive reader will have worked out
Triduana
Mar 09, 2013 Triduana rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
This book is stuffed full of classic horror themes and this is why it appealed to me. The first half of the book deserved 4 stars: it was full of intrigue, suspense and grim tidings.

The book is written very well: I really like Hussey's style of writing. It did have a few issues for me though.

As I said, I thought the first half of the book was much better than the last: the way the story and characters were built up was great. However, the narrative in the last half got swallowed up in backstory
Nicole Rea
Jan 07, 2011 Nicole Rea rated it it was ok
Really wish I could give this one 2.5 instead. There were parts of it that I liked and parts that were just okay (like the ending). Overall, the main character was intriguing and I liked how the author delved into each character's history a little bit in separate chapters to show how messed up they all were and what brought them together. The bits about religion/belief in God/etc. were also interesting. Overall though, it seemed like he took on one too many theme to be able to actually expound u ...more
Lucinda
Oct 27, 2012 Lucinda rated it liked it
So far a very interesting read - a bizarre mix of horror and hard boiled drama. Well written for an easy read with nothing too challenging but a few references to other areas of the arts which are quiet interesting.

Now that I'm finished I still think it was good but ending was quite flat - interesting though.
Claire Meadows
Mar 08, 2014 Claire Meadows rated it it was ok
Well written, atmospheric - I'd previously said how much I was enjoying this...but truth be told, it actually started to get a bit too macabre for me. Wimpish of me, maybe, but if a book is starting to make you uncomfortable, you need to know when to quit.

Ben
Jul 12, 2011 Ben rated it really liked it
This book starts very well. The descriptions of the encounters with the dead are genuinely creepy. Felt a bit disappointed with the end that seemed overly grand and a bit King like. But there are worse writers to be compared to. Over all very good and will definitely read more Bill Hussey.
Mandie
Mar 16, 2009 Mandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Though it can be a bit confusing, its a great tale that mixes murder, sorcery, medieval history, witches and horror and it keeps the reader engaged.
I will probably re read this in order to get more out of it as there is a large array of characters and any stories they need to tell us.
Megan
Oct 19, 2010 Megan rated it did not like it
All I have to say is: What the hell? It was ridiculously wierd and you never actually get all the answers you want by the end!
Travis
Jun 11, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Wel-written modern horror novel. While the story itself was just good, not great, Bill Hussey's writing style is so engaging I gave the book four stars.
Dharm Kapadia
Dharm Kapadia rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Jerrod
Jerrod rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2009
Emma Henderson
Emma Henderson rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Adnan Jalali
Adnan Jalali rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Roisin
Roisin rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Mathias Blikstad
Mathias Blikstad rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Stuart Evans
Stuart Evans rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Iain
Iain rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Banquet For the Damned
  • The Unblemished
  • Dawn of the Demontide (Witchfinder, #1)
  • Damnable
  • A Twisted Ladder
  • Snow
  • Sineater
  • The Kult
  • Heaven's Bones (Ravenloft, #21)
  • The Leaping