Start by marking “Through a Glass, Darkly” as Want to Read:
Through a Glass, Darkly

Through a Glass, Darkly

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Steeped in classic horror, this chilling contemporary taledeals with secrets long buried, festering guilt, and haunting loneliness

Jack Trent, the most effectivecriminal investigationofficer in the history of the department, is having baddreams of a child's murderin a forest at the hands of something indescribable. But these are more than nightmares—they are visions of the
Published June 1st 2008 by Beautiful Books

To ask other readers questions about Through a Glass, Darkly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through a Glass, Darkly

Lou
A chilling read, in some chapters you are taken back into the past into the beginning of a village Crow Haven, it seems to be damned by some curse or evil spirits from its first creation. The main protagonist Jack discovers this reading through a diary and book named Transfiguration of souls. Bill Hussey's debut is a work of startling imagination. With a haunting narrative voice and vivid imagery, Hussey paints a melancholic, yet beautiful tapestry that readers won't forget he writes with a lite ...more
Joanne Sheppard
Everything I'd read about Through A Glass, Darkly, the 2008 debut novel of Bill Hussey, suggested that I would love it. A horror novel set in an isolated, insular Fenland village. It features a sinister villain who materialises now and again to terrorise children, and his name is Elijah Mendicant, or the Crowman. The Crowman. Yes. Like the creepy one in the black hat from Worzel Gummidge. Seriously, anyone who knows me well would imagine this book to be tailored exclusively to my horror needs.

So
Melanie Rodriguez
"Remember Jack; God is with you."

Or was he?

Inspector Jack Trent is what others call an odd loner - he doesn't play well with others, he keeps to himself, and he has an uncanny intuition where others in the force have called it "paranormal". Little do they know that Jack does indeed, have a "gift".

Jack has what he calls "the dreaming" - when he does dream, he sees a horrific event that does come true. The ones behind "the dreaming", he calls demons. They have lived inside him since the accident
Triduana
This book is stuffed full of classic horror themes and this is why it appealed to me. The first half of the book deserved 4 stars: it was full of intrigue, suspense and grim tidings.

The book is written very well: I really like Hussey's style of writing. It did have a few issues for me though.

As I said, I thought the first half of the book was much better than the last: the way the story and characters were built up was great. However, the narrative in the last half got swallowed up in backstory
GUD Magazine
In Bill Hussey's debut novel, a centuries-old pall of evil hangs over the small village of Crow Haven, personified by a mysterious figure known as the Crowman. When the young Simon Malahyde disappears apparently without cause, and young boys are abducted, then found dead and mutilated, DI Jack Trent is paired with his colleague and ex-girlfriend DS Dawn Howard to investigate.

Trent is already familiar with the supernatural. A childhood near-death experience has left him infested by demons that gi
Nicole Rea
Really wish I could give this one 2.5 instead. There were parts of it that I liked and parts that were just okay (like the ending). Overall, the main character was intriguing and I liked how the author delved into each character's history a little bit in separate chapters to show how messed up they all were and what brought them together. The bits about religion/belief in God/etc. were also interesting. Overall though, it seemed like he took on one too many theme to be able to actually expound u ...more
Claire Meadows
Well written, atmospheric - I'd previously said how much I was enjoying this...but truth be told, it actually started to get a bit too macabre for me. Wimpish of me, maybe, but if a book is starting to make you uncomfortable, you need to know when to quit.

Lucinda
So far a very interesting read - a bizarre mix of horror and hard boiled drama. Well written for an easy read with nothing too challenging but a few references to other areas of the arts which are quiet interesting.

Now that I'm finished I still think it was good but ending was quite flat - interesting though.
Ben
This book starts very well. The descriptions of the encounters with the dead are genuinely creepy. Felt a bit disappointed with the end that seemed overly grand and a bit King like. But there are worse writers to be compared to. Over all very good and will definitely read more Bill Hussey.
Mandie
Though it can be a bit confusing, its a great tale that mixes murder, sorcery, medieval history, witches and horror and it keeps the reader engaged.
I will probably re read this in order to get more out of it as there is a large array of characters and any stories they need to tell us.
Travis
Wel-written modern horror novel. While the story itself was just good, not great, Bill Hussey's writing style is so engaging I gave the book four stars.
Megan
All I have to say is: What the hell? It was ridiculously wierd and you never actually get all the answers you want by the end!
Pauline
Just didn't get this book.Should have ticked all the boxes for me but just didn't.
Steph
Hmm. Gruesome and schlocky, but I kept turning the pages in spite of myself...
Jason
Very James Herbert esque. If that's your thing, you'll love it.
Michelle Ciriacruz
Michelle Ciriacruz marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Doug Irvine
Doug Irvine marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Briana Ford
Briana Ford marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Lina Lindbergh Jirlén
Lina Lindbergh Jirlén marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Cathie
Cathie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • The Unblemished
  • Hell Train
  • The Leaping
  • Damnable
  • Dawn of the Demontide (Witchfinder, #1)
  • House of Windows