Start by marking “Persistence of Memory” as Want to Read:

Persistence of Memory

Combining the language, humor and manners of Jane Austen’s era with charming characters and colorful storytelling, PERSISTENCE OF MEMORY is a mystery, a love story, and a speculative novel about accidental time travel.

Published July 7th 2015 by Diversion Books (first published August 23rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Persistence of Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Persistence of Memory

Margarita Gakis
I was utterly charmed by this book!

Charlie Lowe is a woman out of time. Shas two obsessions: saving the Stoneford Village Green from unscrupulous developers and researching her ancestors. When a freak lightning strike and a rogue computer virus send her back to 1825 [and one of her ancestors forward!], Charlie discovers she must persuade one of her ancestors to marry or two centuries of descendants -including herself- will cease to exist. Unfortunately, her future husband is a class-A jerk. Cha
Terri
One aspect I (rather predictably) loved was the setting of a small English village. As an American, I’m continually fascinated by stories where the characters live in old-to-me houses and cottages. The cottage that the main character lived in was several hundred years old, and when she time-traveled, she moved only in time, not in space, so she ended up in the 1700s version of her own home. That was very cool! The emphasis on genealogy was done well too. I could not be less interested in that ...more
Jana
Sep 26, 2013 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this! I have liked everything Ms. Kent has written, and this is no exception.

It was a fairly quick read, but I don't mean that in a bad way. ;) It's one of those novels that you hate to see end, but I don't think there was much more the author could have included in this book.

Her extensive research and sense of humor really shine in this time travel/historical fiction novel.
I chuckled at some of her references to other fictional characters, not because they were necessar
Andi Houtsch
Feb 18, 2015 Andi Houtsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: I received a copy of this text in exchange for an honest review.

When you sit down to read this book be prepared for a light hearted look at accidental time travel, unexpected romance, a well-envisioned and researched glimpse into the past, and a liberal dose of humor across the board.

This was a fun read that kept me turning the pages, waiting to find out what happened next … or previously … depending on how you perceive the time spectrum. Charlie Lowe, an introvert who happens to be fro
Missy Goodsell
Oct 10, 2013 Missy Goodsell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Persistence of Memory

Charlotte Duran Lowe, Charlie to her friends had a long day of listening to an arborist tell her that the village oak tree at the center of town had definitely been poisoned and to towns people talk about how the Ferryman Brothers have this plan to destroy the half the village & build their idea of a better place since they claim to own 2 large parcels of land. She had gone home earlier and was looking for information on the world wide web to discredit the Ferrymen but s
Lori
Find this review and more at Lusty Penguin Reviews!

Winona Kent writes a beautifully entertaining accidental time travel romance inPersistence of Memory, the first book in the Memory Book series. Kent does a compelling job of blending time travel, historical romance, mystery, and science fiction that completely draws the reader into the story. I thoroughly enjoyed how Kent interconnected all of these aspects and really made them work together.

Widow Charlotte “Charlie” Duran Lowe loves researching
Georgianna Simpson
Persistence of Memory by Winona Kent

This is a time-travel mystery type novel with romantic and heroic overtones. A very interesting concept and sometimes perplexing although intriguing time travel theories.
The story takes place in the village of Stoneford on England’s southern coast. This village has been very nearly untouched by renovation for almost 200 years. The central figure, Charlotte Duran Lowe or Charlie to her friends, has lived in Stoneford all her life. Charlie is a young widow who n
Liz Barnsley
**3.5 - 4 stars***

Charlie Lowe has two obsessions: saving the Stoneford Village Green from unscrupulous developers and researching her ancestor, Louis Augustus Duran, whose mysterious origins elude her.

When a freak lightning strike and a rogue computer virus send her back to 1825, Charlie discovers she must persuade a reluctant Sarah Foster to marry Duran, or two centuries of descendants -including herself- will cease to exist.

My sunday side read this week, Persistence of Memory by Winona Kent
Hannah
Aug 11, 2015 Hannah rated it did not like it
I was really looking forward to reading this after seeing reviews. I was very disappointed.

It is a short novel however it doesn't feel like a well-paced, swift read for a time travel fix. It felt very rushed with underdeveloped characters, poor reasoning for their actions and also poor dialogue. The time travel made absolutely no sense and no attempt was made to offer an explanation. I did not finish this book as I really didn't care what happened to the cardboard cut-outs or which ones were ar
Patricia
May 11, 2016 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: tainfm2016
For most of the book, it was a three-star book for me; however, from about the last third to the end, it became a two-star book. I was disappointed with the ending. In a effort to tie up loose ends, the punch of the ending was dissipated and postponed until it was fairly anticlimactic for me. Perhaps more rigorous editing would have helped here. There was also a gratuitous bit of petting thrown in suddenly that seemed out of character and didn't really advance the story line.
David Marshall
Sep 22, 2013 David Marshall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly this is not very well written and the plot makes absolutely no sense as science fiction. There are so many better ways to write books like this, I blame the small press for failing to provide proper editorial guidance.

Jane
Feb 12, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this - fast moving plot, well written characters and completely believable despite the time travel element - it all worked really well and all the loose ends were tied up nicely by the end! Really enjoyed it!
Larry
Larry rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2013
Kathy Hinton
Kathy Hinton rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Joan Barnes
Joan Barnes rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Angelfish42
Angelfish42 rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Brian Richmond
Brian Richmond rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Cathryn
Cathryn rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Trina
Trina rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Leanne Glentworth
Leanne Glentworth rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Lynn Massimo
Lynn Massimo rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill
Caroline Anastasia Mccaskill rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Matthew Plourde
Matthew Plourde rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2013
Carla Duran
Carla Duran rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Dawn Bliss
Dawn Bliss rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Ika Diana
Ika Diana rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Matthew Plourde
Matthew Plourde rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2013
  • Aura
  • The Guardians (The MORE Trilogy, #2)
  • Viking Fire
  • The Letter
  • Ravenwood
  • The Viscount's Vow (Castle Brides, #1)
  • Undercurrent
  • The Devil's Woods
  • For Love or Money
  • Feather (The Feather Trilogy, #1)
  • Deep Rising (Outside the Lines, #1)
  • Elements of Darkness (Twist's Tales Vol. IV)
  • Blind Allegiance (Blind, 1)
  • Taming a Gentleman Spy
  • The Muse (Dark Art Mystery, #1)
  • Shock Me (The Shock Me Series, #1)
  • Covert Craving (Project Genesis, #1)
  • Upon Your Return (Heiresses in Love Series, #1)
Winona Kent has an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of British Columbia, and is a graduate of Vancouver Film School's Writing for Film and Television Program. After a career that's included freelancing for magazines and newspapers, long and short fiction, screenplays and tv scripts, Winona has now returned to her first love, novels. She lives in Vancouver, Canada.

Writing is Winona's pas
More about Winona Kent...