Start by marking “The Dragon Queen” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Queen

The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,959 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Arthur turned and strode toward us. He was magnificent, and I will never forget that, in that moment, I first loved him. And I believe--had I known what the future held for us: all the trouble, torment, battle, and grief of our lives--I still believe that I would have yielded my heart into his keeping as I did then . . .

In a sweeping epic of the imagination, Alice Borchard
Published June 3rd 2003 by Del Rey Books (first published October 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Queen

Zeek
Although I liked this tale overall, there were pieces of it that bogged the story down for me.

The Dragon Queen is yet another entry into the tales of Arthur and The Knights of the Round Table. For those who love their Arthurian legends with Merlin as the big bad- then this book's for you. For those who don't-then Run away!

TDQ centers around Guinevere, the warrior queen of Arthur and in Borchardt's version she is indeed a warrior. Guinevere, has the beauty of previous Arthurian tales, but in TDQ
Shawna Astley
Jun 22, 2008 Shawna Astley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Women fighting men with swords - whats not to like?
Steen
Apr 10, 2009 Steen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a did not finish book for me.

So after reading about 185 pages of The Dragon Queen by Alice Borchardt I have decided to thrown it down and stop reading. I thought I would like it being about Quinevere and all but I hate it. It's not like the Arthur legends I've ever known. But that's not really even it though. I could handle a different take on the stories ( I still have yet to read any books about Arthur that are out there that are more well known) it's just the way she has written it.
Andrea Krivak
Mar 24, 2014 Andrea Krivak rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I think you have to really like arthurian legends to read this book. I liked it in the beginning, it started telling the story of Geunivere as a young girl and the "what if" this was her upbringing. There were wizards, men who turned into wolves and of course, merlin and morgana. About halfway through she meets Arthur, and then the book divides into the telling of each of their lives and they each stray into their own mystic journeys. To me, it spent too much time on these mystic journeys and by ...more
Lyndsay MacDonald
This book was weird. I think it might have been tolerable if the author didn't try to weave it into the Arthurian legend (ie. if she made up original characters), but as it is I just couldn't get into it. There were some parts/scenes that I did enjoy, and others that I didn't... but overall I found it very confusing, and often found myself asking "What is happening right now?" and "Why?"

The story line flip-flopped around a lot... the characters were not wholly believable (Guinevere did NOT seem
Misty
I really wanted to like this book.

About halfway through, I got bored and tried to push through it, but ultimately gave up. There was so much description and not enough happening.

Also, considering this was titled the Dragon Queen, I expected more dragons. Their lack of presence was disappointing.
Angela
Mar 28, 2013 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book up until the last third and then it got way too much involved with Arthur. It didn't quite wrap up the way I had expected and I would suggest not reading it unless you want to continue on with the series. I may read the sequel at a later time but I need a break from the acid trip like sections with Arthur.
Mary-Beth
Jun 06, 2007 Mary-Beth rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Another take on Arthurian legend, this time mostly following Guenevere's unusual early life raised by a former slave woman, a wolf turned man and a druid with Roman sympathies. A very dream-like style is used throughout. At its best this style seems part and parcel of the magical subject matter; at its worst it made me nearly lose the plot.
Laural
Oct 03, 2012 Laural rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got about halfway through this book. Someday I'll give it another chance, or maybe try to figure out what exactly the author did wrong. A sword weilding Gweneviere? It could have been great. I thought it would be after reading the description on the back of the gorgeous cover.
Matt
Aug 15, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an overall awesome book
Giuila
Jul 17, 2008 Giuila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
... t read
Kirsten
This is written by Anne Rice's sister, and I must say I am much more of an Anne Rice fan than an Alice Borchardt fan. My understanding is this book was supposed to be the first in a series but the author passed away, so we will always be left hanging unless someone takes up the mantle and writes a sequel. Perhaps if she left notes behind on her plans, one of her kids or her nephew can do this.

The book itself is 467 pages. I have read other books this long that I plowed through and enjoyed immens
Nancy
Oct 05, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting and fun read in the beginning. However, the story lost momentum a couple of chapters in. Many times I was confused by who "he" or "she" was. I wanted to like it but found The Dragon Queen to be a tedious and lackluster book.
Jessie
Mar 29, 2009 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Shelves: fantasy
Right now, I'm struggling to get through The Dragon Queen. It started out great. The author is very descriptive. Unfortunately, I'm running into a problem. The author is one of those that writes from the perspective of multiple characters, and each of them has different things going on. This isn't that bad when they're sharing a scene, but when they're each in their own scene, the author likes to jump from one to another without any notice to the reader. She also doesn't give very many clues abo ...more
Danielle
Feb 17, 2017 Danielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-ugh
I should have stopped at, '...she was very pretty, with very blond hair...' but I kept going for what felt like a very long time. I very much want that time back, so I can read something that I very much want to read.
Kim
May 10, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very skeptical on whether I would like this book or not; I'm generally not into the alternate telling of myths and legends unless they are so radically different that you hardly notice the myth in it, and I really didn't think it was going to be like that.
However, I gave it a try; and my first thought was ~This language is quite beautiful~. My skepticism continued; beautiful though it was, I don’t look for poetry in my books, the words can be as pretty as they want, but if I can’t figure
Joanna
Mar 28, 2010 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
It is always disconcerting to read a fresh telling of well known tales. I find myself straining to make the story fit, or emphatically not fit, or I must disassociate it from my memories of the other versions I have read and heard. How can I disassociate Guinevere and Arthur? Especially when their haunting similarities and vibrant differences are matched by an equally new Merlin, and Igraine, and Morgana. Not to mention Gawain, and Cai, and Balin. The dissonance rings out, and then recedes, and ...more
M Strawberry Reviews
Ms. Borchardt does a wonderful job with the characters of Arthur and Gwenevere, and has obviously researched Dark Ages Britain. Her descriptions are fantastic, and so are many of the ideas she put in here. The Dragon Queen's childhood is... interesting to say the least.

However, after having read the Silver Wolf trilogy, I notice something in her works... sometimes the characters wander off into their own quest, which takes up good parts of the book and don't have that much to do with the main st
Ivy
Dec 03, 2011 Ivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I read this book a while ago and loved it! I was looking through the books at Goodwill and I spotted this book on the very end. After some debating I decided to get it because it had a cool cover. Boy, am I glad I did! I love Arthurian Legend and I just love stories written about myths! At some points the story was hard to follow because Alice Borchardt didn't explain things fully. There would be a part where she mentioned a character or a important person and wouldn't tell the reader who they r ...more
Cindy
Aug 27, 2008 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe some day I'll come back to this book, but I just don't think I can read this book. I find myself wondering if I'm not following something of if this book is just beyond my reading. The writing is in a way that makes it seems like, wow we want the read to think this author is just so descriptive and great. Only it becomes confusing and bored. If you aren't familiar with the story of Guinevere then there is no point in reading it because nothing is explained and you are just sitting there wo ...more
Emily
Oct 24, 2013 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book because I am interested in Arthurian legends, but this was very different from the legends I was familiar with. The story seemed to jump around a lot and it took some time before I was able to realize what character I was currently reading about. This book was difficult to follow at times, but that being said, I have to say that I loved the imagery. The way Borchardt describes rooms or islands or palaces makes you see it so clearly in your mind like you are actually t ...more
Bebe Burnside
Nov 14, 2011 Bebe Burnside rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting twist on the King Arthur tales, with Guinavers as a warrior. Alice Brochardt brings another character Maniel the shape shifter from the Silver Watcher into this story as the grey watcher. Arthur is a young warrior, the summer king, but his father Uther is still alive and the high king of briton. His mother Igraine and Merlin are evil and plotting to control Arthur and Guieanvere. Very interesting, I'm excited to read the next one.
Einyel
Jan 16, 2017 Einyel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Es interesante y original la reelaboración de la leyenda artúrica que se lleva a cabo en este libro, sobre todo en la figura de Guinevere. Sin embargo, es aburrido, lento y muy pesado de leer debido a sus largas y tediosas descripciones que hacen que la acción se detenga una y otra vez. Las partes más emocionantes son escasas y efímeras, y se echa en falta una mayor presencia del príncipe Arturo.
Joanne Wood
I can't understand it! In theory I should love this book, it has all the ingredients I enjoy - a new 'take' on arthurian legend (a personal favourite), all the sword and sorcery stuff I could wish for.
....and yet, I've rarely been so bored! I've re-read several parts to try to figure out why but no, I just don't get it. It's well enough written, it's a good idea and yet it simply did not work for me.
Lemon
Interesting take on Arthurian legends, with a strong Guinevere, which is pretty unusual. I don't necessarily recommend the series because it stops abruptly, due to Alice Borchardt's death in 2007. Check it out if you liked her werewolf novels and really wanted more from her, but otherwise this series will leave you feeling unsatisfied.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I love tales of Guinevere. This new author truly does justice for Guinevere. This is a rather sad tale. I find it interesting the woman is always vilified in the tales of King Arthur. Should it really be the case?

This book pulled me in and I really enjoyed her writing style and the history interwoven with mythology.
Michelle
Oct 12, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lover's of Arthurian legends
What an imaginative version of a timeless tale! Guinevere is not portrayed as the damsel in distress, but rather, she is an Iceni warrior. Merlin is not the likeable wizard we are used to seeing him portrayed as. Also notable: the sensuality!This book was a great ride; you will most definitely want to read the next one!
LENA Cazadora de Fantasia
Este primer libro me gustó bastante.

Supuestamente iban a ser 3, pero tantos años despues y no he encontrado ninguna referencia al tercero, ni en español ni en inglés, por lo que creo que se quedo en nada. Otra trilogía incompleta más. Una pena!

Lo que más me gusto del libro era la ambientacion artúrica-celta. Realmente era un reino mágico.
Gwyndd
Jun 08, 2011 Gwyndd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I gave up finishing this one though I really tried to stick with it. I love the story of King Arthur and Guinevere and was really looking forward to reading about a sword-wielding Guinevere. It didn't appeal to me at all. Maybe because I'm traditional when it comes to the King Arthur romance. I did keep the cover (which I adore), framed it and put it beside my photo of Xena, Warrior Princess.
Kristina  UK
It was a struggle to finish this book, I got bogged down in chapters that I couldn't even imagine the owrld that the author was trying to create. I'm sure that she has a visualisation of her ideas but I was just left strugglingand thinking "what?"
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Grail Prince
  • Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy
  • Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere, #1)
  • Child of the Northern Spring (Guinevere, #1)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • Firelord (Firelord, #1)
  • Twilight of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #1)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit
  • The Kingmaking (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #1)
  • Out of Avalon
  • The Dragon and the Unicorn (Arthor, #1)
  • The White Raven
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Hawk of May  (Down the Long Wind, #1)
Alice O'Brien was born on 6 October 1939 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. She was one of five sister of Katherine "Kay" Allen and Howard O'Brien. The O'Brien family moved to Richardson, Texas, when Alice was a teenager. She began her nursing career in Houston, where she met and married her husband, Clifford Borchardt. After a 30-year career as a licensed vocational nurse, Borchardt faced staff redu ...more
More about Alice Borchardt...

Tales of Guinevere (2 books)
  • The Raven Warrior (Tales of Guinevere, #2)

“Oh yes, I admire books. I still do. They can preserve a truth for twice a thousand years and teach it to any who has the skill and cares to read it. They can also fix a lie in stone forever. But worse still, they—the books—can be about nothing at all. Nothing real.” 0 likes
“If death be the last thing I do, why, I pray the gods and heroes of my people that I try to do it as well as I have done more pleasant things.” 0 likes