The Wolf King  (Legends of the Wolves, Book #3)

The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolf #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,105 ratings  ·  43 reviews
To save her beloved Maenial from the mercenary forces of King Desiderus, Regeane joins forces with a Saxon warrior to rescue her shapeshifter husband, only to discover that Maenial has become bait in a trap set for her by an old enemy from her past and th..Title: .The Wolf King..Author: .Borchardt, Alice..Publisher: .Random House..Publication Date: .2001/08/01..Number of P...more
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published August 28th 2001 by Del Rey (first published February 27th 2001)

Merredith
This is the third in the Legends of the Wolves trilogy. I liked the first one, the second one was a prequel, which was a bit drawn out and confused me, and now the third one was a continuation from the first. I read the first back in 2009 or so and it's 2014 now so it was hard to remember some things. the things we learned in the second book did give me a different perspective on the characters now, so i wish i'd read the second one first. This book felt like i was moving through quicksand, just...more
Chris
The first book in this series is good. Sadly, the rest of the series does not live up to the first book. The plot sounds good; the problem, however, is the book is a loosely strung together series of scenes.
Jami
I would say this is my favorite book of this series although they were all amazing. I wish Alice wasn't dead and that she'd written a lot more books.
Julia
This is the third book in a series. Unfortunately, I have not read the other two. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I had read the other two first, but I don't think it was necessary to read them in order to follow the story.

I felt like the book started very abruptly, and ended abruptly too. I would have preferred to be eased into it a little more in the beginning, and to have more closure at the end.

I enjoyed the first part of the book the most. When Regeane and the Saxon were in th...more
Fence
Found this to be a very disappointing read. I read the previous two in this series: The Silver Wolf and The Night of the Wolf and while neither of them are spectacularly great novels they were both interesting, well-written stories.

Despite being set in the same world, and dealing with many of the same characters this novel feels half-hearted. As though Borchardt started out with the idea of writing it, but didn’t really put any effort into actually developing the story or the characters. They re...more
Delicious Strawberry
Night of the Wolf was a bit disappointing, but Ms. Borchardt made up for it with this book, which is really a continuation of the Silver Wolf as it covers Regeane and Maeniel's married life and the intricacies that come with Dark Age (Charlemagne-era) politics. It certainly is different from today's politics. For the most part, Regeane is happily married, but of course trouble is stirring, and this lovely wolf couple have to deal with it.

I was happy to see the reappearance of a few familiar face...more
Dark-Draco
The story is set in the time of Charlemagne, his armies poised to invade Italy. Lord Maeniel, leader of a pack of shape shifting werewolves, agrees to help his King, but doesn't account for the actions of his young bride. Regeane, loyal and loving, is soon embroiled in her own adventure as she begins to discover her own powers. And behind them both is the shadow of an old enemy, Bear.

I have to admit to not liking this that much - the cover is probably the best bit of the whole book. The story wa...more
Heather Carouth
This series was really good, but soooo hard to get through. Something about her writing style just didn't flow well with me. She did not switch between POV and flashbacks smoothly enough. It felt like a chore to read most of the time, but in the end the story was worth it. Although this final installment ended rather abruptly.
Marjorie
The Wolf King is the final book of a three-book series. The first book, The Silver Wolf, was the favorite for me. The main character from that novel, Regeane, returns as well as others. There are many plot lines that don’t start becoming clear until halfway through the book. What I thought to be a major plot/character storyline is solved before the book is close to done and then just a few loose storyline was wrapped up very abruptly.
So, according to goodread's rating system 2 stars is "it was...more
Jeanna
I had an extremely hard time getting through this book. The writing style becomes increasingly more long-winded and flowery as the book progresses. I found the 'fluff' unnecessary and detrimental to the flow of the story, leaving it stagnant on multiple occasions.

I also felt that much of the character development achieved in the first two books took several serious steps backwards in this book.

All in all, this book was a considerable disappointment as the conclusion to a trilogy. I will not be...more
Forgotten Realms Queen
Better than the first, worse than the second. For the most part, it wasn't all that bad, but towards the middle end it got weird again. The author started reference, inferring, insuniating, and giving us no facts at all. Rather frustrating because it makes no sense.

Despite being the sister to one of the horror genre queens, I really would not reccomend this trilogy unless you have a really abstract way of thinking. Maybe then you can undertand what she's saying...
Kate
I read this largely because I had just come off of reading all of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles in order, and figured since Borchardt is Anne Rice's sister, this might be like the Vampire Chronicles for werewolves. This was what I believed was a prequel and so I read it first, but therein lies the danger of a prequel where you probably ought to have some knowledge of the characters, setting, etc. I was totally lost and couldn't finish.
Joss
I enjoyed the first book back when the Vampire Chronicles had gone on hiatus and this Ms. Borchardt, Rice's relative, seemed to be doing the same treatment to werewolves. I love the concept of a wolf who is sometimes a man, rather than the typical view on lycanthropy. What I didn't like was the second book in the series, which really wasn't well written. For some reason, I kept getting lost in the prose. Who said or did what now?
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Regeane and Maeniel are back. This one more political intrigue is afoot and with a rather unreasonable king. Although really, are any kings reasonable? Aren't most so inbred that they are crazy, spoiled and commit hubris on a daily basis? This was a fitting ending to the trilogy. I just don't have as much to say about it because I've figured out, I don't particular enjoy books with so much political intrigue. I get sleepy.
Janin
I was so pleased to discover that Alice Borchardt had written another book in this series. I hadn't realized when I started it that there is another book between it and the first, Silver Wolf. So I'll definitely have to get that one as well. It was so nice to revisit favored characters and I have to admit, I was unpleasantly surprised when I reached the end of the book and discovered that Alice passed away in 2007.
Renee B.
3.5 stars!

I read this back in university and while browsing through my to-read books, it popped up in my head (I can't possibly remember every single book I've read >.<)

This was a great story and set in the time of Charlemagne. I will have to re-read it to give it a proper review but I remember that I was very happy after reading the story. I do wish I'd read the first two books in the trilogy though. :/
Not *quite* as good as The Silver Wolf, but I was still delighted to return to the series' world and characters. While Regeane and Maeniel play a major role in this one, I found myself much more interested in the new characters this book adds. I don't think this one stands as well on its own, so you should definitely read Silver Wolf first. If you like the first book, you'll probably like The Wolf King.
Jen
While I stilled enjoyed this book, I liked Silver Wolf a little better. The characters are once again pulled into a political mess, where they must use all their wits and "special" skills to get themselves out of it. The characters I really enjoyed in this book was Matrona and The Saxon, these two really made the book for me!
Mary Kay Gray
I'll finish the book but it's slow reading. The print in the book is small. I'm reading most books on my Kindle and I like that better.

The other thing that slows me down is trying to imagine the world decribed. I would probably read another book by this author to compare the two but I don't want to read it right away.
Rachel
Good book, second fav from Alice Borchardt after the Silver Wolf. Regeane reprises her role from the Silver Wolf, this time as a desperate woman who is first lost in the snow then forgets her identity as Manael searches all over Europe for her and is eventually drawn into the great events occurring at the time.
Stephen Coleman
This was a very clever story line with a lot of good material but I found myself confused over character names and in the end had to force myself to continue reading. In essence it was a great start, diminishing middle and rushed ending.

Such a shame really as it did have good promise.
Becca
So far, this has been a fairly easy read --- I am reading a few pages at a time, and as the plot thickens, I find I can read more pages in a sitting.

Not a very compelling story if you're not into stories from the era of time the book is set in but a good book nonetheless.
Stacey
Finally got around to reading this a few weeks ago, and it exceeded the expectations I'd raised by skimming through the pages several times. A unique take on werewolves and shapeshifting in the times of Charlemagne and the disintegration of the vast Roman Empire.
Gretchen Segarra-melendez
As backwards as I read this series, the conclusion to it felt very much like a cliff hanger, I only wish Miss Borchardt was still alive to make me feel complete in the series. Excellent prose as always, one could only hope for lost manuscripts!!
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
By Anne Rice's sister. Good werewolves in the time of Charlemagne. Too many undead evil beings wandering around wreaking havoc. OK, it got a bit better as it went along, but I think I'll skip the one's that came before in the series.
Marjorie
Somehow I managed to finish this book!! It was not as good as The Sliver Wolf, and I kept thinking how annoyed I was at them!! I think I liked it better the first time I read it.......
Alison
I love Borchardt's writing style, but this installment of Regeane and Maeniel's story was disjointed, leading me astray as to the true intention of the plot.
Jim Henderson
Oct 25, 2009 Jim Henderson marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: werewolves
Damn, I couldn't makes sense of that...

I'm going to have to go back and read the other two again, and then I'll be back.
Corey
I really liked this book. If you are following the series it is great to know what happens next to Regeane and Maeneal.
Rita
Action packed fantasy set in the late 700's. There are people who change into wolves & demons.
  • The Promise (Devoncroix Dynasty, #2)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • Prince of Wolves (Val Cache, #1)
  • Shadow Leader (Wolfwalker, #2)
  • Moon Dance
  • Bite the Bullet (Crimson Moon, #2)
  • Ratha's Challenge (The Named, #4)
  • Moonburn (Abra Barrow #2)
  • The Vampire's Secret (Savannah Vampire, #2)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Wild Wolf (The Pack #9)
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • Legacy: Arthurian Saga
Alice O'Brien was born on 6 October 1939 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. She was one of five sister of Katherine "Kay" Allen and Howard O'Brien. The O'Brien family moved to Richardson, Texas, when Alice was a teenager. She began her nursing career in Houston, where she met and married her husband, Clifford Borchardt. After a 30-year career as a licensed vocational nurse, Borchardt faced staff redu...more
More about Alice Borchardt...
The Silver Wolf (Legends of the Wolf #1) The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1) Night of the Wolf (Legends of the Wolf, #2) The Raven Warrior (Tales of Guinevere, #2) Devoted (Devoted, #1)

“So fair a victor, how can I help but be conquered.” 10 likes