Start by marking “Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design)” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  935 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
What s New in the Third Edition, Revised Printing
The same great book gets better This revised printing features all of the original content along with these additional features:
Appendix A (Assemblers, Linkers, and the SPIM Simulator) has been moved from the CD-ROM into the printed book
Corrections and bug fixes
Third Edition features
"New pedagogical features"
Underst
Paperback, Revised, Third Edition, 741 pages
Published July 27th 2007 by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers In (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Organization and Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computer Organization and Design

YouKneeK
Feb 22, 2015 YouKneeK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-textbook
This textbook was required reading for my Computer Organization and Architecture university course. Sometimes it can be difficult to give a textbook a fair review because, in a typical course, students are rarely required to read the entire book and they may be given reading assignments that are not in sequential order. This means it’s not easy to judge the progression of the material as presented in the textbook from beginning to end.

Such was the case with this textbook. In my class, we skipped
Xiaofei Guo
Jul 03, 2012 Xiaofei Guo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardware
I remember when I first learn computer architecture in China. The book we used is terribly complicated. I once thought computer architecture as a subject with random things to memorized.

Fortunately, I study this book years later in the US. It goes through the fundamental philosophy of computer architecture design and it gives lots of examples, pictures, and exercises to help you understand the concept.

The book not only talks about simple examples, it also break the real machine down to show how
David
Jan 13, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Used this as my textbook for ECE425 - Computer Architecture and thought it explained a lot more than what the professor tried to teach. I would recommend reading this a few times before listening to the professor go over whichever topic you're covering and I'm sure it'll help you.

I recommend also watching these videos throughout the course

Passed Computer Architecture
Matt Hanson
I've got two versions of this book, the newer one(5th edition) I bought at my university book store for my computer architecture course and the older one(one from the late nineties/early 2000s) I got for $3 at a used book store. Both books are good, but the newer edition has more relevant information about modern CPUs and newer topics like using multiple cores and such. If you can afford a newer version absolutely get it, but if you can find an older version for cheap you should get that instead ...more
Muhamamd Daneshgar
This book is one of my most hated books. Its prolix style make your mind exhausted with loads of jejune materials. I know it's a very famous academic textbooks and scholars applaud it. Perhaps it's catered for professors rather than for engineers and true learners.
In a nutshell, the efficiency of this book is very poor. You learn very little in expense of wasting a good deal of your precious time.
Daniel Apatiga
Dec 20, 2015 Daniel Apatiga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This computer organization and design textbook was interesting from chapter one to the very end, including the appendixes. I think I could have learned all that I learned from my computer organization teacher from this book alone, however, that was not always the case.
Parastoo
Dec 11, 2014 Parastoo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few required text books for my courses which I actually enjoyed while reading, I learned a lot and it gave me a whole new perspective of what is a computer. I would suggest this to all undergraduate computer students.
Stefan Kanev
May 03, 2016 Stefan Kanev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good textbook, but I would recommend picking it up unless you have a lot of time (or you are studying it in a course). I started reading it because I realized my understanding for processors was ancient and wanted to update it a bit. It does go into the new and fancy stuff, but it definitely helps you get a good overview. After you've finished it, you'll have a good idea how to (conceptually) build a basic computer. Two major caveats: the writing is a bit boring and academical (to be e ...more
Victor
Apr 16, 2015 Victor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science

Very good introduction and reminder for computer architecture, reviewing all topics such as instruction decoding, memory hierarchies, pipelines, I/O, computer clusters, vector computers, GPUS, energy consumption. In my opinion some previous knowledge must be got before reading this book, since it omits many implementation details. Appendix are added so that you can extend your knowledge in more advanced topics.

For those understanding Spanish, I strongly recommend this other book: Conceptos básic
Tony Poerio
Standard CS/Eng textbook. Gets the job done. Word of advice: don't get the digital version, they layout is almost unreadable. Got the Kindle version, then ended up using my friend's hard copy all semester.
Yogy TheBear
Jan 26, 2016 Yogy TheBear rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It dose not go into serrious details , but it sure offers a great general image and de-mistification of the computer !!!
It should be read in the first year of any computer science university .
Justin Smith
Dec 22, 2015 Justin Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know how Assembly and Computer works this is probably your best bet. You'll know what a stack and heap really are and where things are in memory.
Prashant Singh
Jul 22, 2015 Prashant Singh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros:
-Solved numerical example
-Concepts are explained from their root
-A real easy language

Con
-Pipeline chapter could be made more intutive.
Andrew
Feb 22, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read Ch 1-5 for class. Some parts got confusing, but overall good.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG6 IRC
Accession No: DL027576
Jonas
Jan 26, 2016 Jonas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, english
A solid introduction at the freshman level, but just not all that inspiring. The basic chapters, especially the one on assembly languages and the appendix on logic design, are very good; the later chapters unfortunately feel a bit rushed and really only cover the barest essentials. Additionally, some pretty important content, e.g. on GPUs and Verilog, is only available online.

The exercises are numerous and quite good.
Ibrahim Al-bluwi
Jan 08, 2011 Ibrahim Al-bluwi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read
This was the textbook of a university course that I took during my BSc. Although I am not a big fan of hardware and assembly languages I enjoyed studying from this book to a great extent.

The book is very well written and very well organized. I found the presented information clear and I liked the way the authors emphasize what is important, elaborate with examples, and keep extra details to the end of each chapter.
Ben Haley
Sep 07, 2009 Ben Haley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book drew abstract mathematical concepts down to their underpinning hardware implementations. In doing so, it clarified the practical concerns that drive the development of new software systems. Patterson, who is brilliant in his straightforward execution does a great job of revealing that the land of information does have a bottom where it grinds up against a land of silicon and copper. For me it's a relief.

João
Nov 10, 2013 João rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I am currently teaching a BSc-level course using this book. It is very well structured for either "hardcore" hardware-related courses or more software-inclined (or at least not so low-level hardware) courses. I have mixed feelings towards the approach of anticipating some issues of multicore architectures (e.g. cache coherence) w.r.t. to the description of the corresponding architectures in Chapter 7.
Szymon Wylezol
A great and easy to follow book, and certainly the most comprehensive one on computer architecture. The only drawback is the material on the included cd - there is too much of it to print it, and reading it all on screen is not very comfortable. Perhaps it's time to split the book into two volumes. Otherwise a great buy. [my review from amazon]
كوثر الشريفي
I had no idea about the MIPS assembly language, nor did I know much about designing processors..etc. This book really helped me in understanding the various steps involved in designing processors and so many other concepts that any beginner needs. The examples and problems are really good, as well as the explanation.
Adam
Oct 14, 2008 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Another of my college texts. Although I have not found a need to reference this book since graduation, it was useful in developing an understanding the components within a computing system and how they interact, possible problems, and how to address them at design time.
Colin
Sep 21, 2013 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, solid introduction to Computer Architecture. I flicked through it this time, because I've read it before. My one niggle is that it has a tendency to use analogies which I don't think really help. Possibly this is because I'm boring an technical, though.
Max Perepelitsyn
A very good introduction to computer architecture. The GPU coverage is a plus. Make sure to check out all the online materials for this book.
Nick Black
Ehhh, don't bother with this one; read Appendix A of Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, and then the rest of that book.
Marian
Aug 07, 2015 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Decent book for the subject material. Be sure to check out the online supplementary material - it is a HUGE help on homework assignments.
Haytham Lashin
Aug 16, 2012 Haytham Lashin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm currently reading chapter 7 , and it's really a very good introduction to the Computer Architecture course .
Hawk
May 07, 2014 Hawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best CompOrg/CompArch textbook I've encountered thus far.
  • Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
  • The Java Programming Language
  • Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »