Start by marking “Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design)” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  563 ratings  ·  25 reviews
What s New in the Third Edition, Revised Printing
The same great book gets better This revised printing features all of the original content along with these additional features:
Appendix A (Assemblers, Linkers, and the SPIM Simulator) has been moved from the CD-ROM into the printed book
Corrections and bug fixes
Third Edition features
"New pedagogical features"
Underst
Paperback, Revised, Third Edition, 621 pages
Published June 20th 2007 by Morgan Kaufmann (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Computer Organization and Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Computer Organization and Design

Xiaofei Guo
I remember when I first learn computer architecture in China. The book we used is terribly complicated. I once thought computer architecture as a subject with random things to memorized.

Fortunately, I study this book years later in the US. It goes through the fundamental philosophy of computer architecture design and it gives lots of examples, pictures, and exercises to help you understand the concept.

The book not only talks about simple examples, it also break the real machine down to show how
Joecolelife
Jan 27, 2012 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
This is a must-read book for students and engineers who want to know how computer works. It covers most of fundamental areas of computer architecture including very recent technologies, such as multicores and mutiprocessors. It gives readers solid framework of computer architecture and guides them to further specific technologies. I was very excited to read the chapter four, The Processor, which describes the complicated concept of processor very easily and step by step. Specially this book prov ...more
David De
Used this as my textbook for ECE425 - Computer Architecture and thought it explained a lot more than what the professor tried to teach. I would recommend reading this a few times before listening to the professor go over whichever topic you're covering and I'm sure it'll help you.

I recommend also watching these videos throughout the course

Passed Computer Architecture
Parastoo Baghaei
This is one of the few required text books for my courses which I actually enjoyed while reading, I learned a lot and it gave me a whole new perspective of what is a computer. I would suggest this to all undergraduate computer students.
Jonas
A solid introduction at the freshman level, but just not all that inspiring. The basic chapters, especially the one on assembly languages and the appendix on logic design, are very good; the later chapters unfortunately feel a bit rushed and really only cover the barest essentials. Additionally, some pretty important content, e.g. on GPUs and Verilog, is only available online.

The exercises are numerous and quite good.
Ibrahim Al-bluwi
This was the textbook of a university course that I took during my BSc. Although I am not a big fan of hardware and assembly languages I enjoyed studying from this book to a great extent.

The book is very well written and very well organized. I found the presented information clear and I liked the way the authors emphasize what is important, elaborate with examples, and keep extra details to the end of each chapter.
Ben Haley
This book drew abstract mathematical concepts down to their underpinning hardware implementations. In doing so, it clarified the practical concerns that drive the development of new software systems. Patterson, who is brilliant in his straightforward execution does a great job of revealing that the land of information does have a bottom where it grinds up against a land of silicon and copper. For me it's a relief.

João
I am currently teaching a BSc-level course using this book. It is very well structured for either "hardcore" hardware-related courses or more software-inclined (or at least not so low-level hardware) courses. I have mixed feelings towards the approach of anticipating some issues of multicore architectures (e.g. cache coherence) w.r.t. to the description of the corresponding architectures in Chapter 7.
Szymon Wylezol
A great and easy to follow book, and certainly the most comprehensive one on computer architecture. The only drawback is the material on the included cd - there is too much of it to print it, and reading it all on screen is not very comfortable. Perhaps it's time to split the book into two volumes. Otherwise a great buy. [my review from amazon]
كوثر الشريفي
I had no idea about the MIPS assembly language, nor did I know much about designing processors..etc. This book really helped me in understanding the various steps involved in designing processors and so many other concepts that any beginner needs. The examples and problems are really good, as well as the explanation.
Adam
Another of my college texts. Although I have not found a need to reference this book since graduation, it was useful in developing an understanding the components within a computing system and how they interact, possible problems, and how to address them at design time.
Colin
A good, solid introduction to Computer Architecture. I flicked through it this time, because I've read it before. My one niggle is that it has a tendency to use analogies which I don't think really help. Possibly this is because I'm boring an technical, though.
Nick Black
Ehhh, don't bother with this one; read Appendix A of Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, and then the rest of that book.
Marian
Decent book for the subject material. Be sure to check out the online supplementary material - it is a HUGE help on homework assignments.
Haytham Lashin
I'm currently reading chapter 7 , and it's really a very good introduction to the Computer Architecture course .
Hawk
Probably the best CompOrg/CompArch textbook I've encountered thus far.
Matthew
Read studying for Computer science architecture course.
Hadi
it's good at all, but I suggest Manno book insted.
Owayss Kabtoul
A very good book on Computer Architecture
Michael
Best. Architecture. Book. Ever.
Collin
Sep 19, 2011 Collin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Nisha Mishra
Mar 25, 2013 Nisha Mishra is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: csc
shima hoseinzadeh
good
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C
  • Lex & Yacc
  • Unix in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference - Covers GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Solaris
  • Fundamentals of Database Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Freshwater Fish of the Northeast Computer Organization And Design: Instructor's Manual: The Hardware/Software Interface Personal Computer Applications in the Social Services Computing Unbound: Using Computers in the Arts and Sciences Computing Unbound : Hands-On-Exercises for the Macintosh With Two Optional Exercises for the IBM PC/With Disk