Start by marking “Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach” as Want to Read:
Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach

Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach

"Once in a great while, a landmark computer-science book is published. "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach," Second Edition, is such a book. In an era of fluff computer books that are, quite properly, remaindered within weeks of publication, this book will stand the test of time, becoming lovingly dog-eared in the hands of anyone who designs computers or has co ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 1000 pages
Published August 1st 1995 by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (first published April 1990)

Nick Black
Sep 18, 2008 Nick Black rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My gargantuan Second Edition of Mssrs. Patterson et Hennessy, reeking with the stench of death forever associated with CS2200 (the foulest corruption of awesome material via wretched undergraduate TA fuckups 'ere I've experienced), sits off in the corner of my room, 1100+ pages of processing, parallelizing, and pipelining. When I found problems assigned to our CS6290 (High-Performance Computer Architecture) class last week out of the Fourth Edition, and that -- of course -- the exercises had bee ...more
Erik Z
Apr 13, 2015 Erik Z rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit wordy, like any good american book, but what really gets me about the book is the quote on the back, which will stay with me forever.

"Do you ever have the feeling that computer architectures come and go, but CA:AQA is forever?" =)
Colin
Sep 07, 2013 Colin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm probably now in the wrong position to be reading this book, as I've already had the undergrad courses on it. This is a clear and detailed look at the whole spectrum of computer architecture. It even includes a chapter on disk storage, although event I find it very difficult to get excited about RAID and disk drives!
This is a classic textbook on the subject. There's not much more to say.
Vasil Kolev
Apr 19, 2014 Vasil Kolev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, good-tech-books
Definitely not easy to read.

This is a comprehensive textbook on ISA/architecture design, with very recent examples (i7, cortex-a8), and explains the problems you can see with the current hardware and how some of those get solved. There's a good chapter on GPUs, and not-that-good chapter on "warehouse-sized-computers" (e.g. a google datacenter).

It's good to do at least a cursory read, just to have an idea what happens below the compiler/compiled code/assembly.
Nathaniel Mathews
May 11, 2015 Nathaniel Mathews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Hennessy and Patterson have a lot of great numbers and facts in the book, which help ground the theory of computer architecture in reality. There's an excellent mix of content-driven chapters and helpful appendices. The only thing holding this book back from a perfect review is the heavy and obvious bias towards their own MIPS architecture, when in the modern world greater attention to x86 would probably have been more helpful.
Pete
Mar 30, 2013 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arguably one of the most in depth and thoughtful books on computer architecture I have ever had the pleasure to read. A book I keep coming back too. Chapter 2 Memory Hierarchy and 6 Warehouse-Scale Computers are must reads. Highly, highly recommended.
Dimitri
Jul 16, 2008 Dimitri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patterson teaches a graduate course at Berkeley based on this book, and the lectures are available online
Diane Napolitano
Jan 24, 2010 Diane Napolitano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The school I teach at, SUNY Old Westbury, assigned me this book for undergraduate Computer Architecture by mistake. This book is intended for graduate students.
Nick Black
Sep 18, 2008 Nick Black rated it really liked it
The fourth edition is a mighty step up, although this is a classic and well worth having for its expanded historical coverage, pleasantly interwoven in the text as opposed to cold exile on the cdrom.
Kirill
Jun 07, 2013 Kirill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropbox
Must read comprehensive in-depth work on computer architectures. A kind of "what every programmer must know about computers" book.
Oscar Eduardo Cervantes Mora
Oscar Eduardo Cervantes Mora rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Harish Paidisetty
Harish Paidisetty rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Mona
Mona rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2012
Matthew Hendel
Matthew Hendel rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Kannan
Kannan rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Adam Duracz
Adam Duracz rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Taibo
Taibo rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
A M A Elman Bashar
A M A Elman Bashar rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Eshagh Rahimi
Eshagh Rahimi rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
James Gaythwaite
James Gaythwaite rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Jeff Rogers
Jeff Rogers rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Ramalakshmi
Ramalakshmi rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Laza Upatising
Laza Upatising rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
Fernando
Fernando rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
DJ
Jan 22, 2010 DJ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer-science
more adventures in computer architecture
Berk Atabek
Berk Atabek rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Martin Novak
Martin Novak rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Anthony Fumagalli
Anthony Fumagalli rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Abdullah Khan
Abdullah Khan rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
  • Engineering a Compiler
  • Structured Computer Organization
  • The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2)
  • Essentials of Programming Languages
  • The Art of Multiprocessor Programming
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Operating System Concepts
  • Machine Learning
  • Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation
  • Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »