Start by marking “পরিণীতা” as Want to Read:
পরিণীতা

পরিণীতা

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  690 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A timeless love story from the master storyteller of Bengal

Set in early twentieth century Kolkata, Parineeta (Espoused) is the unforgettable story of a child-woman’s intense and bittersweet romance. Lalita, an orphaned girl who lives with her uncle, considers herself betrothed to Shekhar, her benefactor and guardian. After several failed attempts, Lalita finally gets the e
Published June 25th 2005 by Penguin Books India (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about পরিণীতা, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about পরিণীতা

Neha
Oct 08, 2014 Neha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Parineeta.. the book is so diffrent form the mega movie.. actually tahts true for Devdas too. The way bollywood has presenteed Devdas & Parineeta is like 'Mughleazam' whereas the characters and events are those amongst the common people.

Lolita is actually a 13 year old girl & shekhar & Girin are 24 year old men. Lolita calls Shekhar Da but she has been always loved & protected by him that eventually they both fall in love. Shekhar though is a sort of a male egoist & a coward
Natalie
Jun 01, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Asian literature or people interested in a foreign love story
One of the greatest Indian classics. It's not an intellectual read per se but it is definitely a worthwhile read if you're interested in Asian literature. A fantastic movie has also been made on this short novel.

Note: this was written a long time ago when society was different from nowadays, so that's why the Shekhar is so much older than Lolita (so don't be too alarmed and go to your nearest place of worship to wash away the sins you gained by reading this).

Also NOTE: this classic was NOT orig
Shayantani Das
Maybe its the translation which took all the flow out of the story. Or maybe my 20th century mind fails to see what is remarkable about this book. Either way, waay different than the movie.
Priya
Parineeta is one of my favorite Hindi movies. The movie and book differ in number of ways. The movie was definitely better than the book; I'm glad they had made such changes in the movie.
Pragya Bhatt
The translation I had was awful. Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy which is actually a good translation from Bengali to English.
विकास   नैनवाल
परिणीता शेखर और ललिता के प्रेम की कहानी है । ललिता एक अनाथ लड़की है जो अपने मामा गुरुचरण जी के घर पर रहती है । उसका अपने पडोसी शेखर और उसके घरवालों से काफी मेल जोल है । शेखर ने ही उस पढ़ाया है । दोनों में प्रेम है लेकिन इस प्रेम के मायने उन्हें तब पता चलते हैं जब दोनों की शादी की बात अलग अलग जगह चलने लगती है । कहानी मुझे अच्छी लगी लेकिन जहाँ ललिता एक शशक्त नारी के जैसे उभरती है उसके उल्टा शेखर एक कमज़ोर नायक लगता है । खैर , अभी तो इतना ही कहूँगा शरत जी के इस उपन्यास को एक बार तो पढ़ा ही जा सकता है । ...more
Nick
Gotta keep up on that Bengal renaissance reading. After reading Devdas, I'm a little surprised by the happy ending. But there is a lot of carry over from that type of story. Mainly in the form of emotionally immature, non-assertive, vacillating male character.

I'm sure many people, particularly Indians, can identify with the dilemmas of loving someone who is "wrong" for you because of class or religious difference between families. I certainly found that to be the case. I also really liked the id
Devina Dutta
I wish I could say How much loved the novel and believe me I tried, I really did. On one of my recent visits to Calcutta, My dad convinced me to try Sarat Chandra and so this is how I met Parineeta.
Parineeta is A story of a young girl who lives in a poor Brahmin house in Calcutta. The next door neighbours are the stereotypical rich Bengali business family. The romance between the twenty-something Shekhar and Lalita is appropriately romantic for those times but the later chauvinist pig type beha
Leenaa
Cute one :D
Namrata
Perhaps one should not read a book with too much of an expectation. It more often than not leads to disappointment. The initial character build up was amazing. But the end does not do justice to 'Shekhar' at all. A coward turns gallant. Unrealistic!! However, the character, 'Lolita' is a brilliant depiction of Parineeta- a true Indian married woman. Really does reflect the state of mind of Indian woman. so, I guess Saratchandra does achieve his goal by portraying the valiant nature of woman in t ...more
Sharanya
Am glad that I read Parineeta before watching the Bollywood version of the novel written by Saratchandra Chattopadhyaya (translated by Malobika Chaudhuri). It is a simple, cute tale of love between Lalitha and Shekar set in the early 20th century in Calcutta. Short and sweet, this novel can be easily read in an hour. It was unbelievable that the protagonists are only 14 and 25 years old in the novel, but given the time period the novel was set in it does make sense.
Rahat  Asif
May 26, 2013 Rahat Asif rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rahat by: Grandfather (Nana)
The story was very simple and sweet, I just wish there was a bit more description. It is very different from the movie! The problem I faced while reading the book was that that the movie was too much on my mind, I kept comparing the scenes, which didn't allow me to read it the way a book is read.
If I had known that the movie was based on the book then would have definitely read it first! I will give it a 3.5!
Hajarath Prasad Abburu
Very simple yet engrossing, masterfully written and compact. The social strata of the then Bengal was clearly depicted by Sharat "da". Lalita is lovely, honest and unquestionably obedient. Whereas Shekhar Babu is volatile, vulnerable and at times escapist. Loved it and recommended to all...!!!!
Simmone Dmello
The book was not to long but it managed to convey something beautiful..
That love when its pure lasts forever.. It was different from the other books I read but thanks to this book i learnt alot of cool words because of the translation... lolz
Yamini Chandra
Sharat Chandra's Parineeta is quite different from Vidhu Vinod's and so beautifully written, it touches your heart. This lovely tale is about an orphaned girl of thirteen and her Shekhar da. It's about love and submission, jealousy and cowardice... very rich emotions.
Sunanda Kodavyur
Read the Hindi translation. I am not sure if it is because of the translation, but the book had no character development, no coherence, nothing! I hope the original is not like this. If it is, the movie guys did a great job!!
Anjali
The book is far more beautiful than the movie....One must read it....It must have been all the more beautful in Bengali...though i have read it and liked it in hindi.
Tejaswini
A very bad translation of a very beautiful story. Kills me to say these words, but the movie is so much better!
Sushmita
One of the most beautiful love story.. way away from the 2005 movie.. the original story is a masterpiece..
Sameera
You get the visual feel more from the book than from watching the movie with the same name :-)
Vrsh
I was able to picture the whole movie while simultaneously reading it...
Mitali
CANNOT describe this in words. Absolute masterpiece <3
Rupam Paramanik
Rupam Paramanik marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Dipanwita Sarkar
Dipanwita Sarkar marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Moinul
Moinul marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • গল্প ১০১
  • পার্থিব
  • কোথাও কেউ নেই
  • হাজার বছর ধরে
Complete works of Sharat Chandra (শরৎ রচনাবলী) is now available in this third party website:

Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay (also spelt Saratchandra) (Bengali: শরৎচন্দ্র চট্টোপাধ্যায়) was a legendary Bengali novelist from India. He was one of the most popular Bengali novelists of the early 20th century.

His childhood and youth were spent in dire poverty as his
More about Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay...
Devdas Srikanta Charitraheen Datta Pather Dabi: The Right of Way