Start by marking “Orochi: Blood” as Want to Read:
Orochi: Blood

Orochi: Blood

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Orochi: Blood is a tale of two sisters: Kazusa, the older, perfect sister, and Lisa, her supposed inferior. Following a car accident, Lisa is saved by a girl named Orochi, who then mysteriously falls asleep for several decades. When Orochi awakens, she's being taken to a mansion where the two women live. Lisa is now caring for the ill Kazusa. What strange secret binds the ...more
Published September 5th 2002 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Orochi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orochi

Charles Dee Mitchell
Masters of the Horror Manga keep coming out of the woodwork. First there was Hideshi Hino -- master of the horror manga -- with his strangely sweet gorefests. Then the genuinely creepy Uzumaki by Jinjo Ito -- master of the horror manga. And now along comes Kazuo Umezu, you guessed it, the Master of the Horror Manga.

As much as I have enjoyed the others, I might have to go with Umezu. This sets up as a typical good sister/bad sister story, set in a mansion so large there are rooms no one has ever
Orrin Grey
Jul 28, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Honestly this is probably better than 3 stars, but I'll go with my gut this time.

Anyway, this is apparently the sixth and final volume of a series of stories that all feature the ghostly character Orochi, but as far as I know this is the only one that's been translated into English. It's also one of Kazuo Umezu's more famous works, and with pretty good reason.

Closer to the power of The Drifting Classroom than the goofy gruesomeness of Cat-Eyed Boy, Orochi: Blood is really quite its own thing and
Mara Cee
Aug 30, 2012 Mara Cee rated it really liked it
Kazuo Umezu is one of my favorite manga artists in the horror genre. Despite most of the stories in here being quite easy to figure out, the Orochi series is one of my favorites. Orochi's ability to blend with ease into each new situation and to protect herself and her charges if need be gives her ample room to navigate the often sinister incidents that seem to play out wherever she goes.

Like Umezu's other work, the Cat-Eyed Boy, Orochi is a non-human being who observes the horrors of human natu
Jenna
Jun 09, 2015 Jenna rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-my-20s
If you're into gore, strange meddling characters, and watching people go insane, this is for you. I was fascinated at first, but I only read up to Vol. 2, Ch. 5.
Neven
Feb 06, 2013 Neven rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This isn't a perfect comic: some of the twists are a bit hoaky, some of the dialogue is a bit awkward (probably a translation artifact). But there's so much to like about it: the story is genuinely surprising; the horror is both built up nicely and delivered frequently; the moral complexity is rich and gets you into an uncomfortable state of mind. (Always a plus with horror stories.) And best of all, Umezu's art is beautifully gothic. From the heavily inked shadows to the spookily matter-of-fact ...more
Aug 31, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love this comic, since it reminds me so much of an old fashioned Hollywood horror, like something similar to The Haunting. The story has a very universal idea, two sisters, one is good, and the other evil. The story is written by a Japanese artist, but the characters live a very 'western' life, living in a luxurious mansion. I also was very excited when I first bought the book since I heard so much about Umezu's legacy, and how important he was to Japan's horror comics. Umezu comics may not cr ...more
Lindsay
Mar 04, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Part of a longer series, "Orochi: Blood" chronicles the dysfunctional relationship between two sisters - one viewed as perfect, the other constantly in her shadow. Orochi is a mysterious ghost/spirit; I'm not sure what exactly. But I do like her. The art in this was very anime-esque, wide eyes and tiny mouths on all the faces, but it's the story and not the art that propels the graphic novel forward.
L m
L m rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Weouthere
Weouthere rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Carmel
Carmel rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Nadine VonTerror
Nadine VonTerror marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Shed Giron
Shed Giron rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Katie Cloud
Katie Cloud marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Anindya Yuniar
Anindya Yuniar marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
???????? uchiha
???????? uchiha rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Gort
Gort rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Josef
Josef rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Baby
Baby marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
J
J marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
D
D added it
Nov 01, 2015
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Ghadi
Ghadi rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Japanese name 楳図 かずお (birth name 楳図一雄)
He is an author of Japanese manga, mainly the horror one (but he wrote some shonen comedy manga and shojo comedy romance, too) as well as a musician and actor.
More about Kazuo Umezu...