Start by marking “Orochi: Blood” as Want to Read:
Orochi: Blood

Orochi: Blood

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Orochi: Blood is a tale of two sisters: Kazusa, the older, perfect sister, and Lisa, her supposed inferior. Following a car accident, Lisa is saved by a girl named Orochi, who then mysteriously falls asleep for several decades. When Orochi awakens, she's being taken to a mansion where the two women live. Lisa is now caring for the ill Kazusa. What strange secret binds the ...more
Published September 5th 2002 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Orochi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orochi

Charles Dee Mitchell
Masters of the Horror Manga keep coming out of the woodwork. First there was Hideshi Hino -- master of the horror manga -- with his strangely sweet gorefests. Then the genuinely creepy Uzumaki by Jinjo Ito -- master of the horror manga. And now along comes Kazuo Umezu, you guessed it, the Master of the Horror Manga.

As much as I have enjoyed the others, I might have to go with Umezu. This sets up as a typical good sister/bad sister story, set in a mansion so large there are rooms no one has ever
Orrin Grey
Honestly this is probably better than 3 stars, but I'll go with my gut this time.

Anyway, this is apparently the sixth and final volume of a series of stories that all feature the ghostly character Orochi, but as far as I know this is the only one that's been translated into English. It's also one of Kazuo Umezu's more famous works, and with pretty good reason.

Closer to the power of The Drifting Classroom than the goofy gruesomeness of Cat-Eyed Boy, Orochi: Blood is really quite its own thing and
Mara Cee
Kazuo Umezu is one of my favorite manga artists in the horror genre. Despite most of the stories in here being quite easy to figure out, the Orochi series is one of my favorites. Orochi's ability to blend with ease into each new situation and to protect herself and her charges if need be gives her ample room to navigate the often sinister incidents that seem to play out wherever she goes.

Like Umezu's other work, the Cat-Eyed Boy, Orochi is a non-human being who observes the horrors of human natu
Neven
This isn't a perfect comic: some of the twists are a bit hoaky, some of the dialogue is a bit awkward (probably a translation artifact). But there's so much to like about it: the story is genuinely surprising; the horror is both built up nicely and delivered frequently; the moral complexity is rich and gets you into an uncomfortable state of mind. (Always a plus with horror stories.) And best of all, Umezu's art is beautifully gothic. From the heavily inked shadows to the spookily matter-of-fact ...more
I love this comic, since it reminds me so much of an old fashioned Hollywood horror, like something similar to The Haunting. The story has a very universal idea, two sisters, one is good, and the other evil. The story is written by a Japanese artist, but the characters live a very 'western' life, living in a luxurious mansion. I also was very excited when I first bought the book since I heard so much about Umezu's legacy, and how important he was to Japan's horror comics. Umezu comics may not cr ...more
Lindsay
Part of a longer series, "Orochi: Blood" chronicles the dysfunctional relationship between two sisters - one viewed as perfect, the other constantly in her shadow. Orochi is a mysterious ghost/spirit; I'm not sure what exactly. But I do like her. The art in this was very anime-esque, wide eyes and tiny mouths on all the faces, but it's the story and not the art that propels the graphic novel forward.
Andrez Bergen
Just read this '70s manga, a gothic-horror tale of two sisters from a rich family. "One perfect. The other... not." Man, that was thoroughly disturbing. Brilliant, but... ack.
Erin Seaton
Erin Seaton marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Somethingpurple
Somethingpurple marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
MFCOMMAND
MFCOMMAND marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Taylor Dunbar
Taylor Dunbar marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Nora De anda
Nora De anda marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Matt Urbanski
Matt Urbanski marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
joao
joao marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Zachary Najarian-Najafi
Zachary Najarian-Najafi marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Samantha Robinette
Samantha Robinette marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
April
April marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Japanese name 楳図 かずお (birth name 楳図一雄)
He is an author of Japanese manga, mainly the horror one (but he wrote some shonen comedy manga and shojo comedy romance, too) as well as a musician and actor.
More about Kazuo Umezu...
The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1 The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom) The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 3 (Drifting Classroom) Cat Eyed Boy, Vol. 1 (Cat Eyed Boy, #1) The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 4 (Drifting Classroom)