Start by marking “Mulengro” as Want to Read:
Mulengro

Mulengro

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  986 ratings  ·  47 reviews
A series of increasingly bizarre murders have baffled the police-but each death is somehow connected with the city's elusive gypsy community. The police are searching for a human killer, but the Romany know better. They know the name of the darkness that hunts them down, one by one: Mulengro.
Paperback
Published October 1st 1985 by Ace (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Mulengro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mulengro

'Lana
Loved it!! Incredibly dark and classically Charles de Lint. Good viewpoint on the Romani and how mysterious their culture is.
Belinda Pepper
One of my favourites, I've read it several times. A murder mystery set in present day, but with creepy fantasy elements.
Shawn
Mulengro was a fantasy novel set in the Romany culture. While not a bad novel, it wasn’t excellent either. While the book had many characters, through whose eyes we saw the word, it had but one plot that built to a crescendo which was then adequately resolved.

I found it personally interesting having lived next to Gypsies at one time and seeing how they lived outside of the system with a myriad of names and matching ID cards from a variety of states. However, my time with them didn’t leave me wi
Lorenza
I love Charles De Lint. I was a little wary of going into this book. I am used to his other stuff and have not read the darker books. Usually when a writer takes on something different, the writing is pretty much the same and sometimes they can not cross that line. The book fails. This is most certainly not so with Charles De Lint. His darker writing is very much still him but completely different at the same time. It is dark and horrifying and absolutely wonderful. He always pleases.
Scott
Several readers seem to have been put off by the fact that this is a horror novel when they are used to de Lint's stories of magical realism. I love horror, so what disappointed me the most was that this kind of story has been done many, many times before - Graham Masterton has practically made a career out of it - and better. Mulengro is a murder mystery revolving around a figure from Romany mythology, but it isn't very satisfying either as a police procedural or as a horror story. It's also on ...more
Jenne
I was disappointed with this book. I'd hoped for more Newford style and less horror. Horror isn't really my thing, so people dying for no good reason just doesn't do it for me.
Amber
I'd been reading DeLint's stuff for years before I came across this one. It's darker than his usual, but I liked it anyways. Or perhaps that's why I liked it? *shrug* The thing that made me love it, and makes me reread it regularly, is the journey to the end. Yeah, yeah, every book's a journey and a good author makes us enjoy the journey as much as the destination, but for me it was just... It was like I got to the end and all that came into my head was "Well, yeah, it HAD to end that way." y'kn ...more
Gregory Rothbard
Nov 20, 2010 Gregory Rothbard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gregory by: Modern Library Group Read
Shelves: science-fiction

Mulengro is seeking vengeance and purification of the Gypsies (Romany) who have gone astray in modern culture; will the Gypsies be able to stand up to this dark force.

I enjoyed the thought that everything is possible, and our eyes can't perceive everything mentality. The book's flow is one that is not easily put down. This book is a good examination of what is real and what is more real... Jeff can't believe his eyes. Modern science excuses this as him having a concussion. But the gypsies see an

Chelsea
This book is, as the author's foreword suggests, quite a bit darker than the other book of his I've read. I still liked some of the spiritual elements and the philosophical texture of the author's writing, but this isn't a book for the faint of heart, and there is pretty copious violence and gore.

It wasn't a bad read, and it did pique my curiosity about the Rom, so the author succeeded in that endeavor. Decent fantasy novel, although the characters may not have been as well-developed as I would
Lindsey
Alas, there are things by Charles Delint that I've really enjoyed, and it's a shame this was not one of them.
It's really graphic. Sort of like Law and Order with black magic. The characters are not very interesting, except for the talking cat and the random hippie who just happens to appear out of the woods when someone like him is essential to the plot. And the plot, in the end, felt to me like a bit of a mess, with more than a few dead-ends here and there. Or maybe that was the impression I go
Jacob Wegleitner
The increasingly bizarre murders have baffled the police—but each death is somehow connected with the city’s elusive Gypsy community. The police are searching for a human killer, but the Romany know better. They know the name of the darkness that hunts them down, one by one: Mulengro.
Lisa Williamson
Decided to reread this yesterday and yeah it is still as good as it was when I first read it back in the 80s. Okay some things are a little dated but then that is to be expected. This book was first published back in 1985 making it almost 30 years old. The characters are still strong and intriguing and it is interesting to look back at this and see where Charles de Lint went with his tales. He has always had a touch of the otherworldly. Sometimes it is dark like in this tale. Of all the characte ...more
Kldeighton
It is not often that any book deals with any aspect of Romany culture in an unprejudiced way ,but this one was OK.
Gerald
urban / ex-urban folk fantasy w/ real world background, and urban fantasy scenario intertwined engagingly!
Katie
A great read, and for me, not so different from Charles de Lint's usual style.

The edition I read contained a foreword from Mr de Lint warning his regular readers that this horror novel may not be their cup of tea.

I continued reading with some trepidation - I'm not a fan of horror at all - but found I enjoyed this as much as many of his other stories. While definitely a touch gorier, his shines through. And the details of Romany culture were fascinating - it's inspired me to find more books on t
Danny Bernier
I found this book to be very interesting with some very unique elements. Character development was so so. Some of the characters were completely useless. The author kept going back to them even though they made no impact on the overall story line. All in all this is a good read. Dark, morbid and entertaining
Murasaki_neko
May 23, 2007 Murasaki_neko rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like horror novels
I adore Charles de Lint. He has been my favorite author for years. However, I could not finish this book. Not because it was bad but because it was horribly, horribly violent. I couldn't take it, even though I wanted to know the outcome of the story. He is a beautiful writer, which only makes it harder to read. So, if you have a stronger stomach than I do (not hard, I do not deal well with violence), I would recommend this book as much as his other work.
Shad
Jul 21, 2007 Shad rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in a fantasy/horror book.
This was a fun if very dark book. It was interesting to see such a sustained story line after reading his short stories. I think he did a good job of building the suspense and mystery for the first half but the second half just kind of lost the intensity. There is also an interesting (2003) addendum to his afterword that speaks of his ideas about cultural appropriation. I'm not sure if I disagree with him or not, but I do respect him.
Kirsten
This was a good thriller and I enjoyed it greatly, but I wouldn't class it among de Lint's best novels. I had a hard time connecting with the characters, and at times this sort of seemed like de Lint was trying too hard to be gritty or Stephen King-esque. On the other hand, the use of Romany culture and de Lint's always-adept use of folklore raises this above your average thriller.
Rhonda
While I enjoyed the world this novel was set in I didn't really enjoy the novel. I found the POV changes distracting and found several of the characters quite flat. For example, the police officers were not drawn in enough detail for me to keep straight which was which in my brain.
Les.
This books isn't the world's greatest piece of literature, but I rated it so hightly because [over ten years later:] I still find myself thinking about it. In my opionion, that's the mark of a good book - the way you find yourself thinking slipping into that 'world'.
Betsy Phillips
On the one hand, this book really shows its age and calico cats aren't male. On the other hand, it's exceptionally well-crafted and probably the first time I've ever gotten so caught up in a story that I shouted "Stop trying to shoot it" outloud without realizing.
Allie
Really good plot and characters, was a bit confusing as there were a lot of sub plots and sometimes was difficult to remember who was who and how they were related in the story, but towards the end everything became clear. Was hooked to the book from the beginning.
Calcitrix
This was really dark for Charles DeLint. Dark in a way that made the usual mythology and storytelling fall short of what I would expect from him. In fact, I think I went into it hoping for something like a Newford book; perhaps that's why it didn't work for me.
Georgie
Absolutely love this tale. I prefer to read it in September, and it just goes to show how a writer does NOT have to stick to a particular genre or style of writing. Charles de Lint is one of my faves, and this one never fell short for a minute.
Susan
Well, I bought this larger version... MUCH prefer the cover by Dave Mattingly!

The book was OK... kinda early Newford as he was weaning off the horror books and trying to combine that fantasy and urban for the Urban Fantasy..

Frank Taranto
Dark tale of the gypsies. A crazy WWII survivor gains the power of keeping the 'mule' of people he has killed and uses them to 'cleanse' the Romany people. Characters are interesting, mostly likable and all have their faults.

Jax
As always with De Lint's books, I was practically mesmerized. I love his urban fantasy! Unlike other urban fantasists, he doesn't need to rely on 'sexy vampire hunters' and all that other bullshit. Respek.
Felicity
Didn't actually finish it, gave up. Sometimes Charles de Lint is just too earnest for me and this very early novel, a completely unconvincing police procedural, is very earnest indeed.
Amanda
I really like Charles de Lint, but this one bored me too much. I got to page 68 and had to quit reading. Adios, Mulengro! Perhaps we shall meet again one day...
  • One Lonely Night
  • Fear
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • The Wood Wife
  • The Cunning Man
  • The Worm Ouroboros
  • Arrowsmith
  • Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1)
  • Shane
  • Studs Lonigan
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Citizen of the Galaxy
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • Begin Again
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • Lost Summer
  • Zuleika Dobson
  • A Fistful of Sky  (LaZelle, #1)
Charles de Lint is a Canadian writer of Dutch origins. He emigrated to Canada with his parents when he was four months old. He is married and lives in Ottawa.
More about Charles de Lint...
The Blue Girl (Newford, #15) Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) The Onion Girl (Newford, #11) Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8) Moonheart