Start by marking “Mulengro” as Want to Read:
Mulengro

Mulengro

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,191 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
He who Walks With Ghosts

The Gypsies live in the shadows of the city, blending in with Canadian society but never adapting to it, cling to the traditional Romany ways.

Now a series of bizarre murders have baffled the police - each death somehow connected with the city's elusive Gypsy community. The police are looking for a human murderer. The Romany know better. They know th
Published October 1st 1985 by Ace (first published September 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Mulengro, please sign up.

'Lana
May 02, 2013 'Lana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved it!! Incredibly dark and classically Charles de Lint. Good viewpoint on the Romani and how mysterious their culture is.
Belinda Pepper
Apr 16, 2012 Belinda Pepper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourites, I've read it several times. A murder mystery set in present day, but with creepy fantasy elements.
Shawn
Oct 25, 2010 Shawn rated it it was ok
Mulengro was a fantasy novel set in the Romany culture. While not a bad novel, it wasn’t excellent either. While the book had many characters, through whose eyes we saw the word, it had but one plot that built to a crescendo which was then adequately resolved.

I found it personally interesting having lived next to Gypsies at one time and seeing how they lived outside of the system with a myriad of names and matching ID cards from a variety of states. However, my time with them didn’t leave me wi
Chuck Ledger
May 28, 2016 Chuck Ledger rated it really liked it
The intro warns about the darkness of the book....and rightfully so. The horrors and the strength to overcome them are nicely balanced. Many years ago O S Card stated that what made Stephen King the greatest writer of horror was how he new how to give you just enough details to allow you to fill in the rest to frighten yourself. Charles DeLint does that very well in this book. No spoilers, but the book is not for the feint of heart.
Lorenza
Sep 20, 2011 Lorenza rated it it was amazing
I love Charles De Lint. I was a little wary of going into this book. I am used to his other stuff and have not read the darker books. Usually when a writer takes on something different, the writing is pretty much the same and sometimes they can not cross that line. The book fails. This is most certainly not so with Charles De Lint. His darker writing is very much still him but completely different at the same time. It is dark and horrifying and absolutely wonderful. He always pleases.
Jenne
Apr 26, 2012 Jenne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed with this book. I'd hoped for more Newford style and less horror. Horror isn't really my thing, so people dying for no good reason just doesn't do it for me.
Nora Janusauskas
Not a bad story, but certainly not nearly good enough to be in the top 100 readers list of the modern library. Something like Mulengro makes the top 100, but A Tree Grows in Brooklyn doesn't. I can only shake my head.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was ok
This book 100% lost me at the talking cat.
Hannah
May 03, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
Charles de Lint is a hit and miss author for me. All of his books are from the fantasy genre which is not my favorite, but I'm able to suspend a little reality for them. This one was more enjoyable. Someone is stalking and killing the gypsies. The police are baffled, but the gypsies know the killer is Mulengro. He has the ability to summon evil spirits to do his bidding and let's face it, that's pretty hard to fight against.

The book focuses on Ola and Janfri, two gypsies who have the ability to
Gregory Rothbard
Nov 20, 2010 Gregory Rothbard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gregory by: Modern Library Group Read

Mulengro is seeking vengeance and purification of the Gypsies (Romany) who have gone astray in modern culture; will the Gypsies be able to stand up to this dark force.

I enjoyed the thought that everything is possible, and our eyes can't perceive everything mentality. The book's flow is one that is not easily put down. This book is a good examination of what is real and what is more real... Jeff can't believe his eyes. Modern science excuses this as him having a concussion. But the gypsies see an

Lindsey
Oct 21, 2011 Lindsey rated it did not like it
Alas, there are things by Charles Delint that I've really enjoyed, and it's a shame this was not one of them.
It's really graphic. Sort of like Law and Order with black magic. The characters are not very interesting, except for the talking cat and the random hippie who just happens to appear out of the woods when someone like him is essential to the plot. And the plot, in the end, felt to me like a bit of a mess, with more than a few dead-ends here and there. Or maybe that was the impression I go
Rebecca
Mar 05, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Charles de Lint is a great author and I loved Mulengro, but I think not as good as Memory and Dream. It was a dark tale about a killer who needs to be stopped using old Gypsy magic. It’s always interesting when authors who are not of a culture write about it extensively. The copy I ended up with had an afterward about that, written maybe 20 years after the book was first published. In it the author says that he thinks that all writers should write about as many different people and places as ...more
Scott
Jun 04, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Several readers seem to have been put off by the fact that this is a horror novel when they are used to de Lint's stories of magical realism. I love horror, so what disappointed me the most was that this kind of story has been done many, many times before - Graham Masterton has practically made a career out of it - and better. Mulengro is a murder mystery revolving around a figure from Romany mythology, but it isn't very satisfying either as a police procedural or as a horror story. It's also on ...more
Rose
Mar 26, 2014 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is, as the author's foreword suggests, quite a bit darker than the other book of his I've read. I still liked some of the spiritual elements and the philosophical texture of the author's writing, but this isn't a book for the faint of heart, and there is pretty copious violence and gore.

It wasn't a bad read, and it did pique my curiosity about the Rom, so the author succeeded in that endeavor. Decent fantasy novel, although the characters may not have been as well-developed as I would
Lisa Williamson
Jul 03, 2012 Lisa Williamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: charles-de-lint
Decided to reread this yesterday and yeah it is still as good as it was when I first read it back in the 80s. Okay some things are a little dated but then that is to be expected. This book was first published back in 1985 making it almost 30 years old. The characters are still strong and intriguing and it is interesting to look back at this and see where Charles de Lint went with his tales. He has always had a touch of the otherworldly. Sometimes it is dark like in this tale. Of all the ...more
Katie
Aug 15, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, low-fantasy
A great read, and for me, not so different from Charles de Lint's usual style.

The edition I read contained a foreword from Mr de Lint warning his regular readers that this horror novel may not be their cup of tea.

I continued reading with some trepidation - I'm not a fan of horror at all - but found I enjoyed this as much as many of his other stories. While definitely a touch gorier, his shines through. And the details of Romany culture were fascinating - it's inspired me to find more books on t
Amber
I'd been reading DeLint's stuff for years before I came across this one. It's darker than his usual, but I liked it anyways. Or perhaps that's why I liked it? *shrug* The thing that made me love it, and makes me reread it regularly, is the journey to the end. Yeah, yeah, every book's a journey and a good author makes us enjoy the journey as much as the destination, but for me it was just... It was like I got to the end and all that came into my head was "Well, yeah, it HAD to end that way." ...more
Murasaki_neko
May 23, 2007 Murasaki_neko rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those who like horror novels
I adore Charles de Lint. He has been my favorite author for years. However, I could not finish this book. Not because it was bad but because it was horribly, horribly violent. I couldn't take it, even though I wanted to know the outcome of the story. He is a beautiful writer, which only makes it harder to read. So, if you have a stronger stomach than I do (not hard, I do not deal well with violence), I would recommend this book as much as his other work.
Shad
Jul 21, 2007 Shad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in a fantasy/horror book.
This was a fun if very dark book. It was interesting to see such a sustained story line after reading his short stories. I think he did a good job of building the suspense and mystery for the first half but the second half just kind of lost the intensity. There is also an interesting (2003) addendum to his afterword that speaks of his ideas about cultural appropriation. I'm not sure if I disagree with him or not, but I do respect him.
Kirsten
Feb 22, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: read-pre-12-07, own
This was a good thriller and I enjoyed it greatly, but I wouldn't class it among de Lint's best novels. I had a hard time connecting with the characters, and at times this sort of seemed like de Lint was trying too hard to be gritty or Stephen King-esque. On the other hand, the use of Romany culture and de Lint's always-adept use of folklore raises this above your average thriller.
Danny Bernier
I found this book to be very interesting with some very unique elements. Character development was so so. Some of the characters were completely useless. The author kept going back to them even though they made no impact on the overall story line. All in all this is a good read. Dark, morbid and entertaining
Susan
May 26, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I bought this larger version... MUCH prefer the cover by Dave Mattingly!

The book was OK... kinda early Newford as he was weaning off the horror books and trying to combine that fantasy and urban for the Urban Fantasy..

Frank Taranto
Sep 13, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Dark tale of the gypsies. A crazy WWII survivor gains the power of keeping the 'mule' of people he has killed and uses them to 'cleanse' the Romany people. Characters are interesting, mostly likable and all have their faults.

Matthew Angelo
Apr 13, 2016 Matthew Angelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this a few years ago. Refuse to lend it out or trade it in. Charles De Lint never ceases to amaze me with his writing and storytelling. I recommend this book to anyone who likes urban fantasy or paranormal. This book is a prime example of what these genres are about.
Jax
Sep 03, 2010 Jax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
As always with De Lint's books, I was practically mesmerized. I love his urban fantasy! Unlike other urban fantasists, he doesn't need to rely on 'sexy vampire hunters' and all that other bullshit. Respek.
Galadriel Nichols
Aug 08, 2015 Galadriel Nichols rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Much darker and closer to horror then the authors usual. Well written & as long as you know it's much darker then his usual it's enjoyable. I personally prefer not quite as dark. He wrote these darker novels originally under a pen name but they have been rereleased.
Rhonda
May 18, 2010 Rhonda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the world this novel was set in I didn't really enjoy the novel. I found the POV changes distracting and found several of the characters quite flat. For example, the police officers were not drawn in enough detail for me to keep straight which was which in my brain.
Les.
May 09, 2009 Les. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic-ghosts
This books isn't the world's greatest piece of literature, but I rated it so hightly because [over ten years later:] I still find myself thinking about it. In my opionion, that's the mark of a good book - the way you find yourself thinking slipping into that 'world'.
Georgie
Nov 13, 2008 Georgie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this tale. I prefer to read it in September, and it just goes to show how a writer does NOT have to stick to a particular genre or style of writing. Charles de Lint is one of my faves, and this one never fell short for a minute.
Calcitrix
Oct 14, 2007 Calcitrix rated it did not like it
This was really dark for Charles DeLint. Dark in a way that made the usual mythology and storytelling fall short of what I would expect from him. In fact, I think I went into it hoping for something like a Newford book; perhaps that's why it didn't work for me.
  • One Lonely Night
  • Fear
  • The Wood Wife (Fairy Tales)
  • Ill Met in Lakhmar/The Fair in Emain Macha
  • The Cunning Man (Toronto Trilogy, #2)
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • The Worm Ouroboros
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Mythago Wood (Mythago Wood, #1)
  • Magic City: Recent Spells
  • The Shadow Guests
  • Nevernever
  • Arrowsmith
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Gryphon King
  • Citizen of the Galaxy
  • Black Heart, Ivory Bones
  • The Gaslight Dogs (Middle Light, #1)
Charles de Lint is the much beloved author of more than seventy adult, young adult, and children's books. Renowned as one of the trailblazers of the modern fantasy genre, he is the recipient of the World Fantasy, Aurora, Sunburst, and White Pine awards, among others. Modern Library's Top 100 Books of the 20th Century poll, conducted by Random House and voted on by readers, put eight of de Lint's ...more
More about Charles de Lint...