Start by marking “Depression Era Recipes” as Want to Read:
Depression Era Recipes

Depression Era Recipes

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Learn about the Depression Era, how Grandma cooked, and enjoy simple, basic cooking! This book commemorates an era that will never be forgotten, with over 450 back-to-the-basics recipes, household hints, a spice guide and some period poetry.
Spiral-bound, 176 pages
Published October 5th 1990 by Adventure Publications(MN) (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Depression Era Recipes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depression Era Recipes

gina
I count this as one of my top ten absolutely must have cookbooks. It is solid- with good recipes that knows how to cut corners (hello, depression era) without cutting taste. If I'm low on ingredients or time I go here. It is amazingly useful and full of great ideas about how to really cook... I don't know how to say this clearly, but cook the "essence" of a dish. Not a lot of unnecessary frills or unneeded ingredients. I think it would be an excellent book for people really wanting to learn how ...more
Judity
I'll be the first to admit I am not an experienced cook. The recipes in this book, though, are easy to follow and sound delicious. Well, most of them, do. Fried Sweetbreads is one I think I'll pass on.

Besides the tasty food, at the bottom of some pages are historical tidbits about what happened in the world during the Depression. Did you know the Hostess Twinkie was invented in Chicago back in 1930? Maybe some of those are still around and even edible after all this time.
Damona
Damona marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Rebecca Newman
Rebecca Newman marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2012
Lynn Szwalkiewicz
Lynn Szwalkiewicz marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2011
Kamran
Kamran added it
Sep 21, 2010
Debbie
Debbie added it
Aug 18, 2010
Lehrbuch Der Geologie Und Mineralogie Methodik Des Erdkundlichen Unterrichts Languages of Civil Society ESP-Ritus Territoriales: Territorial Spirits Defects in Silicon: Proceedings of Symposium B on Science and Technology of Defects in Silicon of the 1989 E-Mrs Conference, Strasbourg, France, 30 May-2 June 1989