Start by marking “The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Townsend Library Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Townsend Library Edition)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Townsend Library Edition)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  51,502 Ratings  ·  654 Reviews
This Townsend Library classic has been carefully edited to be more accessible to today's students. It includes a background note about the book, an author's biography, and a lively afterword. Acclaimed by educators nationwide, the Townsend Library is helping millions of young adults discover the pleasure and power of reading.
Published May 1st 2005 by Townsend Press (first published 1883)

To ask other readers questions about The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, please sign up.

Krishna Sampath I'd say probably yes, but check with your teacher if you can count it for a class requirement -- at the time of its writing, it was published as a…moreI'd say probably yes, but check with your teacher if you can count it for a class requirement -- at the time of its writing, it was published as a children's book.

That said, Pyle's writing style and language were deliberately archaic, to lend an appropriate tone of these tales, which are set in the Middle Ages, so there are many turns of phrase and words that require modern readers like us to look up and learn a bunch of new vocabulary words!

At least one other high schooler used it for her reading requiremnts: (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...?)

It's a fun read, and is one of the primary influences on many later Robin Hood retellings, in its recasting of Robin as a heroic outlaw, rather than as a straight-up outlaw.
(less)

Karen
Jul 29, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Seldomly I've been so touched by a book as I was by Robin Hood. From the very beginning it was a lighthearted and happy tale of an outlaw and his adventures, told in a careless, joyful and entertaining language - depicting Robin Hood not as a criminal, but a lovely young man with a sharp wit, sense of humour and excellent skills with the bow. He is the king of his band of men yet they are equal, he shows mercy for the needing and sympathy for the weak. You wish him all good in the world and it i ...more
Rob
Apr 13, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young, fiction, folklore
Marry, I didst learn to prate e'en as those stout fellows did in Merry Old England. 'Tis true, there are other accounts of Bold Robin's merry doings, but this one, I wot, pleases me most of them all. By the bright eyes of the lass I love best, I'll say you, do you give yon 'Bloody Quaker' the chance, thou wilt likewise fall, willy-nilly, under his spell, both with the pen, and the brush, for he is a fair hand with both, withal.

And to whoever did lightly reave away my copy (I've since obtained an
Diamond Cowboy
Aug 31, 2015 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful reread from my childhood. A wonderful romp through the Sherwood forest with Robin and his merry men. A tale of good and evil stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
I recommend to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
PS It makes it a lot more fun if you read it aloud to a child.
Diamond
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
I liked this book until the end...I wont ruin it for those of you who have not read it...but after you read it I think you will understand what I mean. Another iconic character that has evolved to this day (Green Arrow and Hawkeye).
Liz Janet
Jun 07, 2015 Liz Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did a review for the BBC series, it is not as historically accurate as I would like, but I love it nonetheless.

Robin Hood: He Shot An Arrow Through My Heart
Steve Hemmeke
Jul 11, 2012 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking good time. This long version by traditional storyteller Howard Pyle hums with the merriment of Robin's band of brothers. Their adventures involve bringing justice to folks in need, at the expense of the apathetic or oppressive rich and powerful passing near Sherwood forest.

It struck me that Robin Hood presents some lessons from the 1200s on masculinity, which we might not learn in our culture. The typical reference to Robin's merry men today tends to be an off color homosexual refer
Dave Skaff
Feb 26, 2011 Dave Skaff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the first thing every new Kindle owner does is download a shitload of free classics. And hey why not? They're much lauded - and free! And among that set for me was this book.

I loved the Robin Hood tales as a child, read some other more kid-friendly versions of it time and time again as a boy and so I thought I'd tackle the original* here.

And? It was awesome. If you liked it then you'll like it now. Friar Tuck, Little John, Will Scarlet - the whole band is there, frolicking and robbi
Ahmed
Kirsten
Oct 25, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was I genuinely life altering book for me. I read it for a 12th grade book report and I absolutely loved it. This one book sparked a revolution in my reading habits. No longer was I a participant of the young adult genre, devouring books like Harry Potter or The Series of Unfortunate Events(and that's nit to say I don't like them anymore or that I think they're stupid, I still love them), I now belonged to a more scholarly class of literature. A whole new world was opened up for me.

In the
Katy
Oct 02, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one over time using the Serial Reader App for iPad.

Each installment was another adventure for the "merry men." The first few were the joining of several characters to the band of men. And such a sad ending that I had no idea had happened.
Nikki
Read this for my Robin Hood module, as with Ivanhoe. This is the second book which I just couldn't read as anything but an English Literature student; my lit student hat remained firmly jammed upon my head. It pains me to read other people's reviews and thoughts on this, given that they're so wildly inaccurate about it. E.g. someone thinking it was "the" book of Robin Hood (and not knowing about the ballad tradition, or the forerunners to this such as Ivanhoe). Or someone thinking it's written i ...more
Brian
Jan 05, 2011 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/1/2000 - 7/10

After getting a taste of Robin Hood in Ivanhoe, I decided to find out more about him. The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood takes its basis from the many old ballads about Robin Hood. As a result, it is a combination of mini-stories. Howard Pyle does a commendable job in joining all these stories into a cohesive novel. It was fun following the adventures of Robin, Little John, Friar Tuck, and the rest of the merry band!

For more info on Robin Hood check out:

واستمتعت به أيما متعة...على خلاف المعتاد حيث لم أكن من محبي
أفلام الكرتون في صغري
***
ويبقى السؤال الذي تطرحه هذه الرواية شائكا
هل يجوز لنا عمل شيء سيء لتحقيق هدف سامي...وهل الغايات النبيلة تبرر استخدام الوسائل الدنيئة؟؟؟

E.F.B.
3 stars stands for, “Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. Just kinda feel meh about it.”

FYI: I listened to this on audio book.

I was a teeny tad disappointed in this book. I had hoped it would be a lot more fun that it was, and it was fun in some places, but in others it was, IMO, boring/unneeded, and there were things about the writing style that drove me absolutely bonkers.

Things started out pretty well. I thought the way the narrator talks to the reader in the prologue and asks you to take his hand
Holly
Dec 30, 2009 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At my high school, I have to read 500 pages worth of classic books. I'm not the kind of girl to fawn over Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. I wanted an interesting classic, so I picked up Robin Hood (because who doesn't like him?) I was especially drawn to him thanks to a recent viewing of Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Thank you, Mel Brooks.

Anyway. Back to the book. I was concerned about the whole "steals from the rich and give to the needy" at first because the whole premise seemed to be this: Robin
Brittany
The stout yeoman Robin Hood and his broad-shouldered band of outlaws make for an awesome reading adventure. The boys (ages 4 & 7) and I loved listening to the stories the in the car. The book was just as good as I remember it from my childhood.

I love how the reader does all the voices. And when the characters burst into song, as they are wont to do on occasion, the narrator even sings in character! I laughed at the fun language Robin Hood and Little John use: Any good character is stout and
Mary
May 03, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite different from many modern retellings of the story. The men where really men (it seems like beating someone up was the equivolent of a handshake), but they were also really women (I'm looking at you, Will Scarlet.) Maid Marian is present only as a thought in Robin's head. The really excellent stories, like how Robin keeps tricking people out of their clothes to keep the vengeful King Henry off his tail (by the time King John shows up, Robin is--oddly--working for him) or carrying Friar Tuc ...more
Krista Baetiong Tungol
Howard Pyle gave an interesting glimpse into the escapades of the lighthearted Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men, and with so many adaptations about this infamous folklore—both in print and film/TV—I must say that this version was entertaining enough. If there is only one thing that challenged me throughout the read, it is the archaic wording.

On another note, it took me forever to finish this book because I was watching the BBC TV adaptation of Robin Hood (starring Jonas Armstrong) the same t
Nile
Sep 03, 2012 Nile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my most favorite book of all time.......
Steven
Feb 12, 2017 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, finally getting back to some of those classics I always meant to read, I finally got around to this one. This lengthy work tells of the many episodes of Robin Hood and how he came to assemble his band of merry men while thwarting the dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham. Maid Marian is mentioned once or twice but makes no other showing, the tales of her and Robin getting together having been added in other tellings.

Now, the general theme of the book being known, I'm afraid I have to differ with m
Maurean
Mar 11, 2009 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maurean by: Nanna Vogan
Classic Educator Edition, vol. 6; 272 pgs.
The particular issue that I read has been a part of my library, apparently since my 6th Christmas, as it is inscribed on the back from my grandmother, with the date: 12/25/72. Mine is a Classic Press Educators Edition, and while the cover shown isn’t exactly correct, it is as close as I could find. I have very clear memories of perusing these books throughout my childhood (this is one of a set of classics that includes such beloved tales as Kipling’s “Th
Kollen
Jan 27, 2010 Kollen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hood
By: Kollen Erickson

The book I just finished was Robin Hood. That’s the book I’m doing this book report on. The author of this book is Roger Green the author retold this book.

The theme of this book Robin Hood is about a boy named Robin Hood would go around and steal the rich peoples money to give to the poor. An example of how he achieved this was that he entered tournaments with the money that he stole from the rich people.

The second way that he achieved this was that that he made
Johnny Waco
Leave it to a Yankee Quaker to write the best-known version of the Robin Hood myth, one that emphasizes Robin's everyman identity and abhorrence of overbearing nobility. This novel, complete with Pyle's incredible illustrations, flies along with all the familiar tales of how Robin meets (and gets bested by) Little John, how he befriends Friar Tuck, and how he disguises himself to enter and win the sheriff's archery tournament. What's different here is that Robin is merely a yeoman (a freeman, ra ...more
Mrs. C.
Jun 29, 2011 Mrs. C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At the classical school where I teach, I combine this with the writing of a Refutation (one of the elements of the classical progymnasmata), disproving the twentieth-century interpretation of Robin Hood as a person who "robbed from the rich and gave to the poor." Students examine all of the stories and try to find the common denominator amongst the motley crew of commoners, churchmen, the Norman rulers, etc., and discover it to be their ill-gotten gains. What Robin Hood is doing is not stealing ...more
Susan
Nov 23, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Gadzooks and forsooth! Me thinketh the author doth use the words 'lusty' and 'stout' muchly. :) Kidding aside, this was quite a rollicking adventure with Robin Hood and his band of men. There were stories on how Robin met the men and how they came to join him, and their exciting adventures together. We even got a chapter on Sir Guy, riding up on his horse in some sort of hairy costume. Personally, I like the TV series Sir Guy better - in the book he lasts only about half a chapter, whereas he la ...more
Sharon Thompson
Jul 07, 2013 Sharon Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-boys
Read to my boys when they were in 2nd grade. At first I attempted to modernize the language but ultimately read it word for word. By far one of the favorite books we have read. Stopping on occasion to talk about new words or discuss the situation was just fine. Tough to get through the tear jerker ending without sobbing. If I had been reading it on my own it may not have had the same effect. I wish someone could make a really good Robin Hood movie that followed this plot and was appropriate for ...more
Ken Davis
Jun 02, 2016 Ken Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-completed
A merry adventure to be sure. There is something about Robin Hood that reminds me a bit of The Godfather; perhaps it is the unswerving loyalty of his men, or the way that he manages to help powerful people who owe him debts of honor, but either way, this adventure does not disappoint.
Jason
May 27, 2017 Jason rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids, Adults, Anyone
Recommended to Jason by: Me
Pre-read note, 5/27/17: Just found out this is an edited version of the original. The content is the same, but the language has been changed to make it "more accessible" to the modern reader... Man, I hate it when they do that shit. Oh well. Maybe I'll enjoy it anyway. I hope it's not too dumbed down.

Real review, 6/10/17:

Solid four stars for the Townsend Library Edition of this book.

This was delightful, and I'm actually glad I read this one instead of Pyle's original. I checked out a couple of t
Katy
Mar 20, 2017 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say that I don't think I would have enjoyed Robin Hood as much as I did if I had read it instead of listened to it. There are lots of "thee's" and "thou's" and "quoth's". The narrator did a great job. I've always love the movies and tv shows of Robin Hood, so it was great to finally read the book.
Teri-k
I read this when I was a little girl and loved it. Over the years I've picked it up many times and I still really enjoy it. Now I can listen to it on audiobook, too. The stories never grow old for me. I consider it a classic for children and adults.
Increasing reading speed 1 5 Sep 15, 2016 07:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing details and wrong description 3 15 Jan 15, 2016 05:37AM
Crazy for Young A...: ✔Pair 2: Kristen and Natalie (December 2015) 11 107 Dec 06, 2015 09:45AM
  • King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol 2
  • Bambi
  • The Mark of Zorro
  • Bedknob and Broomstick
Howard Pyle was an American illustrator and author, primarily of books for young people.

During 1894 he began teaching illustration at the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry (now Drexel University), and after 1900 he founded his own school of art and illustration named the Howard Pyle School of Illustration Art. The term Brandywine School was later applied to the illustration artists an
More about Howard Pyle...

“Will you come with me, sweet Reader? I thank you. Give me your hand.” 49 likes
“He who jumps for the moon and gets it not leaps higher than he who stoops for a penny in the mud.” 38 likes