Start by marking “Uniform Justice (Commissario Brunetti #12)” as Want to Read:
Uniform Justice (Commissario Brunetti #12)

Uniform Justice (Commissario Brunetti #12)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  3,997 Ratings  ·  280 Reviews
As Uniform Justice opens, Venetian detective Commissario Guido Brunetti is called to investigate a parent's worst nightmare. A young cadet has been found hanged, a presumed suicide, in Venice's elite military academy. Brunetti's sorrow for the boy, so close in age to his own son, is rivaled only by his contempt for a community that is more concerned with protecting the rep ...more
Published August 4th 2003 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Uniform Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uniform Justice

Alex is The Romance Fox
Uniform Justice, the riveting 12th addition to Donna Leon's Commissario Brunetti Series is a complex, thought-provoking and sad story that captures you from the very first page and lingers in your mind long after you finished the last page.

Commissario Guido Brunetti called to the exclusive San Martino Military Academy, where Cadet Ernesto Moro dead , which the academy authorities have very quickly consider as a suicide and are doing everything possible not to co-operate with the Venetian police.
Emily
The plot in this book is basically nonexistent and is an excuse for Donna Leon to have Many Opinions on the Military, as well as the inefficiencies of Italian government. This might not work for you if you, you know, care about plot, but luckily for everyone, I would read Brunetti's diary and be perfectly happy with it.

Highlights of this installment:

- Brunetti struggling with "unfamiliar" Euro coins as he gets on the traghetto. The Brunettiverse has transitioned off of lire, y'all!
- Comparisons
Gerald Sinstadt
Feb 12, 2012 Gerald Sinstadt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Anyone who buys this book seeking a standard whodunnit will be disappointed, as at least one reviewer has plainly been. How sad to miss the growing depth of Donna Leon's portrayal of Venice, corruption in the Italian way of life, and the effect it has on the people who inhabit it.

Strangely, it seems to me that the crime element of Uniform Justice - an apparent suicide in a military academy - makes for a more interesting and plausible narrative than has been the case in some of the author's novel
Jeanette
Feb 17, 2016 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was deeper than the average Brunetti. It had a lot of politico slant, most of which I disagree with from at least a partial all the way to a fully opposite degree. But regardless, the interpretation of consequence for the appearance OR for the reality of a committed murder was superb. And also in outcome completely Italian. Not only in logic but in the process.

Corruption reigns. And stats put into category of complete opposition to the reality of truth in occurrences. Brunetti is as dup
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it really liked it
Shelves: brunetti, mystery
12th in the Commissario Brunetti series, set in Venice, Italy.[return][return]A young student is found hanging from the ceiling of a bathroom in the military academy of San Martino. It is an apparent suicide. To complicate matters, however, the dead boy is the son of a former politician who rose to fame in Italy for his unimpeachable honesty in investigating corruption in Venetian health services. Brunetti, put off by the hostile attitudes of both Comandante and students at the Academy and tales ...more
Ed
Nov 24, 2014 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Crime fiction fans.
This, the 12th in the Commissario Brunetti series, is one of the best. A refreshing change from the usual "who dunnit" genre. It is full of well drawn characters and a plot that, while it doesn't keep the reader guessing as to who is guilty, nevertheless does keep the reader guessing as to what is going to happen next right up to the last two or three pages.

The story opens when a young student is found hanging from the ceiling of a bathroom in the San Martino military academy. While it is an app
Larraine
May 31, 2013 Larraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uniform Justice is the 12th in the Inspector Brunetti series and was published in 2003. This is one of the darker books in the series. The story centers around the apparent suicide of a 16 yr old cadet at an exclusive military school in Venice. It is largely attended by the children of previous attendees. In this case, the cadet is the son of a prominent oncologist and former member of parliament known for his absolute honesty in a country where political corruption is a foregone conclusion. Nei ...more
Kylie Holcombe
I have enjoyed earlier books in this series, but this one and particularly the ending left me feeling there was unfinished business.
There is a lot of political rambling in this book and in the end I skipped over some of these paragraphs just to find out where the plot was going.
Watchingthewords
While many books can take you on adventures in new places, give you new ideas to contemplate, and introduce you to new and complex characters, there is comfort in curling up to drop in on old friends. I love a good mystery (OK, even some not-so-good ones) and a good mystery series is even better. I will not bore everyone by carrying on about every book in a series, but I will occasionally highlight the one I’ve most recently read, hoping it will inspire someone else to check it out!

I just recen
Lindsey
May 02, 2013 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
There were several small problems with the book, and this ended up adding up to it not being a very enjoyably novel to read.

First of all, not much happens in the course of the book. This is not a deal-breaker--if the book was well written. I ended up feeling like the characters were just killing time until something happened. Or just wandering around musing about nothing in particular.

There were a lot of comments or events in the book that didn't fit, didn't make sense, or weren't followed throu
Mary Miller
"Uniform Justice" is my first Donna Leon/Commissario Brunetti book. I listened to the audio version read by David Colacci. Collaci's reading is excellent, distinguishing between characters with a good variety of voices and intonation. I will probably read/listen to a few more Brunetti stories.

My reservations that caused me to give the book 3 stars concern the ending, The setting of Venice is fascinating, showing a side of the city not normally seen by tourists. The suspicious death of a cadet a
Shari
Jan 18, 2013 Shari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Political corruption, unyielding military brotherhood, the arrogance and entitlement of the nobility and aristocrats--life as usual, it seems, running roughshod over the ordinary people and taking vengeance on those of their own social strata who dare to think for themselves and get in the way of healthy stock returns. Then murder and conspiratorial subterfuge are just the way things are handled.

Commissario Brunetti runs headlong into an iron wall of silence--even the families of the victims are
Melissa McCauley
To be brutally honest: as a mystery novel, this is sub-par. It flounders around for almost two hundred pages where nothing much happens to advance the plot. As a glimpse into the mindset of Venetians, it was excellent. This is no gleaming Disney fantasy of sunken palazzos and romantic singing gondoliers - workaday Venice is a cold, gray, cynical place.

Brunetti is struggling to do an honest job as a police investigator despite incompetence and corruption. His world is dominated by a public distr
Nancy
Jun 10, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Donna Leon consistently delivers novels with substance and depth. As other reviewers have indicated, as readers experience several of her books the city of Venice becomes less of a background for the stories and more of a character.

It is clearly the seductive villain in her novels. In many ways they are not so much mysteries, but psychological dramas exploring the complex, multi-layered culture of Venice.

Uniform Justice was darker and less optimistic than some of her other stories. It wasn't jus
Janet McGee
Dec 17, 2015 Janet McGee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of Leon's books I've read to date. Her take on detective fiction is like none other's. Instead of giving you a tidy conclusion, she leaves you hanging, caught, like Commissario Guido Brunetti, in the labyrinthine, malfunctioning, Italian justice system. Yet, Brunetti stays true to his calling and delivers the answers to the crime that you, the reader, seek. Leon lets you feel less like a reader and more like a tourist on an expertly-guided tour through the can ...more
Deborah Moulton
Mar 02, 2010 Deborah Moulton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things get darker in these later novels as Brunetti grows more cynical about his society, "the men from the south," and the futility of doing good in such a world. An honest politician is scared off publishing an accurate and damning study on the military procurement system when his wife is injured in a deliberate shooting. His son attends an elite military academy in Venice and is found dead of a supposed suicide. Like a biblical tale, the sins of the fathers are extended through the next gener ...more
Sandra
Se há algo que valorizo num policial é um bom final.

Este final simplesmente matou-me.

Ao virar a última página percebi que perdi tempo ao ler este livro.

Tempo que poderia ter usado para ler outro livro que me poderia ter oferecido algo melhor.

Para quem gosta de ver os criminosos devidamente castigados este não é um livro que aconselharia.
Sharyn
Aug 04, 2016 Sharyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just really enjoying Brunetti. This book was more unsettling than the others as justice never really got served. Am now going to earth the TV show and see how they changed the book. Leon's take on the corruption and the military and the government is so interesting. As I am soon to be a tourist, I am also a little unnerved st how Venetian 's view tourists, especially Americans.
Chris Witkowski
Have had Donna Leon recommended to me time and time again, but it took an impending trip to Venice to compel me to pick one up. Ok, I'm hooked. And what makes me really happy is that there are so many more Commissario Brunetti books to read!
Palomablue
Aug 28, 2014 Palomablue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could love Donna Leon's Brunetti series. I love the settings, etc., however, I find the pervasively bitter and cynical tone of her writing rather offputting. I read one other of her crime series, and decided I don't have time for this level of negativity.
Claude
Apr 02, 2013 Claude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favourite book in the series up to now, with maybe the exception of Murder at the Fenice and Acqua Alta.
Quite a dark novel, in which justice is NOT served.
Sara
Mar 06, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saddest ending and the most ironic title.
Bebe
Sep 12, 2013 Bebe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale is almost too depressing, young boy murdered at a military school.....Brunetti finally solves the crime, but cannot punish the perpetrator.
Anne
May 18, 2017 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Guido Brunetti mystery revolves around the death of a student at a military school, apparently by suicide. Brunetti's attempts to figure out exactly what did happen to the young man lead him to other mysteries. Who shot the mother of the young student 2 years previously, and was that an accident or intentional? Where is the boy's sister, removed mysteriously from her school, also two years before? And how do these seemingly unrelated events tie together? This is one of the most intriguing o ...more
Katharine Blatch
A good Brunetti, although there are better ones.

Still love the series though and it feels like I've just visited Venice.
Susan
Feb 03, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just in case you hadn't figured out how much I love this series. And how I really want to wander the streets of Venice...and then head to Guido and Paola's for dinner!
Kilian Metcalf
Apr 28, 2017 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By now I've read several of Donna Leon's mysteries featuring Commissario Brunetti, the Venetian detective. I first started reading them because Venice is my dream trip. I read everything I can get my hands on that feature Venice. Of all Leon's books I've read, this is the best. Dottore Brunetti's dogged persistence, aided by Signorina Elettra's magic fingers on the computer make it possible for him to get within closing distance of the truth about the death of a young cadet in a very prestigious ...more
Lucile Barker
Mar 03, 2017 Lucile Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
26. Uniform Justice by Donna Leon
Brunetti is called to a military academy to investigate the supposed suicide of one of the cadets, the son of a former politician who tried to stop corruption in the procurement of military equipment. The regular ongoing characters reappear, and so do the wonderful descriptions of Venetian food, both in and prepared by Brunetti’s wife. I really like the way Leon adds in Paola’s love of English literature and Brunetti’s fondness of history and philosophy. The stra
Tara
Jan 23, 2013 Tara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's probably not entirely fair for me to judge this. I picked this book up, mistakenly thinking it was the first in the series, and the book was chock full of interactions and vague hints about past events that I obviously wasn't familiar with. Yet, I'm going to go right ahead and judge it anyway.

I tend to love reading books set in places I've never been; even when a book doesn't exactly paint its setting in a great light, I always seem to walk away with the sense of wanting to explore the plac
Spuddie
Apr 19, 2010 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#12 Commissario Guido Brunetti mystery set in Venice, Italy. When a teenage boy at a military academy is found hanging in his bathroom at the school, it's first presumed a suicide. Brunetti, Vianello and the others investigate, but it's believed by everyone--including Brunetti's politically saavy boss, Vice-Questore Patta, that it will be a cursory investigation and everyone will go on their merry way.

Brunetti smells a rat, however, and begins digging deeper into the boy's life and that of his
  • Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
  • Vendetta (Aurelio Zen, #2)
  • The Last Judgement (Jonathan Argyll, #4)
  • The Marshal and the Madwoman (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #6)
  • Hades
Donna Leon (born September 29, 1942, in Montclair, New Jersey) is an American author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.

Donna Leon has lived in Venice for over twenty-five years. She has worked as a lecturer in English Literature for the University of Maryland University College - Europe (UMUC-Europe) in Italy, then as a Professor
More about Donna Leon...

Commissario Brunetti (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
  • Dressed for Death (Commissario Brunetti, #3)
  • Death and Judgment (Commissario Brunetti, #4)
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
  • Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)
  • A Noble Radiance (Commissario Brunetti, #7)
  • Fatal Remedies (Commissario Brunetti, #8)
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • A Sea of Troubles (Commissario Brunetti, #10)