Start by marking “Coffin County” as Want to Read:
Coffin County

Coffin County

The small town of Cedar Hill is no stranger to tragedy and terror. Nearly two centuries ago, when the area was first settled, a gruesome mass murder baptized the town with blood. More recently there was the Great Fire, the notorious night the casket factory burned down, taking an entire neighborhood with it.

But no one in Cedar Hill can be prepared for what is to come - sho
Mass Market Paperback, 334 pages
Published May 27th 2008 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Coffin County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffin County

Dirk Grobbelaar
I'll come right out and say that this was, frankly, one of the most bizarre Horror novels I've read. I have since learned that Coffin County is, in fact, part of the bigger Cedar Hill mythos, which explains a lot of things. While, by all indications, this book can be read as a stand-alone, it is probably advisable to read it as part of the bigger whole.

They did something so dreadful, so atrocious, something so horrible that even the Devil was sickened.

If there is such a genre as Apocalyptic Horr
Kasia
Oct 08, 2011 Kasia rated it really liked it
This being my second time reading Braunbeck I would have expected to be used to his lyrical and poetic style of writing but it still shakes me. His writing is different, more philosophical than your average horror stories; his thinking dissects ideas to the core and reaches deeper levels of emotion while still giving the reader a fantasy like story where the reality blurs with magic.

Cedar Hill, Ohio is the fictional place all his books take place in. A place that has murders, terror and non stop
Edward Lorn
Aug 12, 2014 Edward Lorn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 52-in-52-2014
We'll start off with everything this book does wrong, and then end on a positive note. Since this book is older, I don't feel so bad about spoiling the entire thing for you, but you should know... SPOILERS!

COFFIN COUNTY doesn't even start until page 90. The first 89 pages don't mean shit concerning the overall story. Nothing. That right there made me want to thug-punch an invalid. How the hell do you spend 89 pages on superfluous details? I was hoping Braunbeck would give me a reason not to hate
J.M. Cornwell
Aug 04, 2008 J.M. Cornwell rated it really liked it
The end of time postponed in Cedar Hill, Ohio.

Charlie Smeds, night watchman at the Franklin Beaumont Casket Company, makes his evening rounds and come dinnertime takes his meal outside on the bench across from Talley’s Hideaway. Eugene Talley, the current owner, joins Charlie, two old friends enjoying each other’s company and good food. Out of the darkness, comes a procession of mourners following wagons piled high with the dead. A little girl holding her doll walks behind. She stops and asks C
Randolph Carter
Sep 18, 2014 Randolph Carter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, fiction, owned
Another berserk outing by Braunbeck featuring again one of the worst places to live: Cedar Hill, Ohio. After beginning with a breathing, bleeding cedar tree (that's a hint) that blows up a coffin factory Braunbeck seemingly gets down to a typical slasher gore fest type of terror/horror novel, but he never writes books like that. Soon the goings on become so bizarre and the body count and blood rises so fast that you just cannot figure out how it will all end. Butterflies and angels appear. ...more
Ben Loory
May 16, 2015 Ben Loory rated it it was amazing
This book is remarkable: one of the bloodiest and most violent books I've ever read; while at same time maybe the gentlest? It's horror born of sorrow and compassion and understanding; it never even occurred to me that was possible.
Renae
Apr 29, 2012 Renae rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Coffin County! I think out of the four most recent books that I've read, this is by far my most favorite. That is not to discredit the others as I enjoyed every single one that I've read. Those being: In Silent Graves, Keepers, Mr. Hands, and of course Coffin County. I once asked Gary if there was a reason to read them in order, and he said it wasn't necessary but it was up to me. I chose to read them in order and was very happy that I did. I think Coffin County brings the other ...more
Craig
Jun 09, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing
This latest in the Cedar Hill cycle showcases Braunbeck's skills admirably. As do most of his other novels, it starts in a somewhat scattered fashion (perhaps because his style seems more at home in shorter lengths), but all ties together satisfyingly in the wrap-up. The series is becoming a mosaic greater than the sum of its parts, with familiar characters, themes, and settings lending an air of documentary authenticity to his narratives. I wouldn't suggest this one as a good starting point for ...more
Jack Haringa
Dec 30, 2008 Jack Haringa rated it it was ok
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 William M. rated it it was amazing
4 AND 1/2 STARS

Whenever the horror genre begins to wane, I dive into a book by Braunbeck and that sinking feeling always goes away. Coffin County, set in the familiar world of Braunbeck's fictional town of Cedar Hill, delves deeper into the mythology he has created, giving us a look at the past, the present, and the future. And all three are pretty damn terrifying, I'll tell you.

While I wasn't as emotionally affected by this book like I was with Braunbeck's MR. HANDS, I was still mesmerized wi
Rusty
Jul 20, 2010 Rusty rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, hard-to-find
Braunbeck is very good at quickly endearing the reader to the characters. He’s also good at bouncing back and forth through time. So just when you’ve begun to empathize with a character or characters, he has jumped to another time period. I’ve seen other authors employ this device, and it often engenders a sense of disconnect and annoyance. But Braunbeck manages to pull it off, causing the reader to invest more and more in the central story. This book is essentially a haunted house story….except ...more
Robert
Aug 10, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
This is the second book I've read by Gary Braunbeck, and like Mr. Hands, it is very confusing and scattered to start but if you stick with it you'll find yourself liking it. He's a good writer, no doubt about that, maybe a little too informal with the antagonists, making them a little funny and less threatening but it dosn't overshadow the dark complexity of the plot. There are two short stories at the end. I'll Play The Blues For You was interesting and pretty good. Union Dues was weird and ...more
Victoria
Jan 27, 2014 Victoria rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who love horror novels
What a strange book... an interestingly convoluted plot, with clear, character-driven narration that was quite well-written. But it was one of the gorier and graphic books I have ever read - truly horrific in a violent and awful way. The premise was original and though overall, it was quite disturbing, I did enjoy reading it. But it certainly isn't for the faint of heart! The "bonus" short stories at the end were an unexpected surprise, too.
Kim
May 11, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
I read every Braunbeck novel/short story that I can in hopes of finding the perfection that was "In Silent Graves" but it hasn't happened yet. ("Keepers" came close.)

"Coffin County" is incredibly original. I have never read anything like it and at times it literally took my breath away. But there is something about the police procedural aspect that takes away some of the magic.
A.R.
Feb 24, 2009 A.R. rated it it was amazing
This is the BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ. Never before have I read an author so beyond horrifying, yet with heartfelt sentiment. Gary, you are the HORROR GOD!
C.
Jul 16, 2012 C. rated it really liked it
RUSA CODES
Feb 22, 2011 RUSA CODES rated it it was amazing
This was a Reading List Short List honor title in the Horror category for 2009. For the complete list, go to http://ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/aw...
Frankie
Nov 07, 2011 Frankie rated it it was ok
Such a strange book. I found myself slogging my way through it. Parts of the story were riveting and other parts were just dreary and dragged.
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it it was amazing
Another great Cedar Hill tale.
Amy
Coffin County 2010
This book is filled with gruesome images that will haunt my mind for quite some time... blood galore. However, while I did get the jist of the story --maintaining the balance = preventing the end of the world-- I'm still unclear on some points. Kudos to Gary A. Braunbeck for writing an original horror novel, even though I felt unsatisfied when I finished reading it, like I missed something. The story did jump around a bit --the butterfly effect taken to a hideous extreme-- so p
Kristen
Jun 01, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
This is my first Braunbeck novel, I was surprised to find that it has not only the main novel, but a few short stories in it as well. I always think that's a nice touch. My review will be of the main story, Coffin County.

Coffin County has a LOT of promise. The opening is good, the gore is there, the characters are interesting, and there is violence a-plenty. We have an unnamed narrator guiding us along in the tale as we follow Ben Littlejohn (a local police officer on the homicide unit) trying t
Richard Wright
Jan 22, 2011 Richard Wright rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
A book that almost needs two reviews, one for frequent visitor's to the author's infamous Cedar Hill township, and those who have never been before. A great deal of Braunbeck's fiction is set in Cedar Hill, a small American town where 'weird shit happens'. This novel begins to pick away at the reasons why. For the long term reader, there's plenty to make your jaw drop, revelations about several recurring characters, and some of the events that have defined the place over the years. For the Cedar ...more
Gef
Dec 01, 2009 Gef rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Small town mayhem achieved by a very skillful writer. Despite the existence of preceding novels that tie in to this one, I didn't feel the least bit lost in the narrative and almost all of the characters were fleshed out nicely. The very few that felt like they had an unspoken past were incidental and didn't affect the main plot. I certainly enjoyed this book enough to want to go back and read those preceding novels.
Maicie
Mar 21, 2010 Maicie rated it really liked it
A 3 and 1/2 star book.

The answer to why do bad things happen to good people is chillingly answered in this book.

I felt like I missed a lot in this book. Not sure if it was because of me or the author. But I like Braunbeck and will assume it was me. I will definetely read more of his stuff. And I'll need to reread this book more carefully at a later date.
Bob
Dec 17, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Cedar Hill is one messed up place!
Braunbeck is an excellent writer with an interesting style. Coffin County was the fourth Braunbeck novel I read and easily my favorite. He went for the throat and never let go. I highly recommend.
Brian
Jun 28, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
Gruesome and gory, but Coffin County is still an enjoyable read with a few very interesting twists.
Mike
Mar 30, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Took me right to near the end to figure out what was going on. Because of this, it really kept up my interest. Can't say much more without giving away the plot, but it was very original.
Lily C
Jan 22, 2014 Lily C rated it did not like it
Too gory for me, gave up half way through with relief!
Elisabeth Walker
Elisabeth Walker rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Chicory Johnson
Chicory Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
  • Bloodstone
  • Crimson
  • Johnny Gruesome
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • The 13th
  • Deep in the Darkness
  • Mirror
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • A Gathering of Crows
  • The Nightmare Chronicles
  • The Bridge
  • Skull Moon
  • They Hunger
  • The Flood (Blackwater, #1)
Gary A. Braunbeck is a prolific author who writes mysteries, thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, horror, and mainstream literature. He is the author of 19 books; his fiction has been translated into Japanese, French, Italian, Russian and German. Nearly 200 of his short stories have appeared in various publications.

His fiction has received several awards, including the Bram Stoker Award in 2003 fo
More about Gary A. Braunbeck...