Start by marking “Being Someone” as Want to Read:
Being Someone

Being Someone

Being Someone is a life story, a love story, a human story. James has fallen through life, plotting a course of least resistance, taking each day as it comes and waiting for that indefinable something to turn up, to give his story meaning. His journey lacks one vital element a fellow traveller. Then he meets Lainey. Confident. Beautiful. Captivating. And James rewrites him

Published May 1st 2014 by Urbane Publications Limited

To ask other readers questions about Being Someone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Someone

Tripfiction
Jul 02, 2015 Tripfiction rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novel set in Mysore and London (“the writing in this book is extremely engaging”)

I came across this book because there was a spike of considerable hype on social media, highlighting the author’s use of location and quality of his writing. There were also some impressive reviews around, so it sounded like a top pick.

There are essentially two strands to this book. The first concerns the relationship between a mahout and his elephant in India and the process of training this particular elephant, wh
Jackie Law
Oct 08, 2015 Jackie Law rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being Someone, by Adrian Harvey, is a story of relationships, love and of personhood. It explores how each individual lives with themselves; how this may be moulded; how each is seen through other’s eyes, and how difficult this is to control. With the lightest of touches the author burrows deep into the human psyche.

The tale is told in non-linear fashion, moving around in time and place. It opens in India with the story of an elephant and a death at a parade. It then takes the reader to late 199
Katie Brock
Sep 12, 2016 Katie Brock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I received this book from a fellow book blogger, I admit at first, I was sceptical. I actually really enjoyed it, the contrast between the settings of India and London gave me an insight into a culture that I've never really read about much, especially the relationship of the elephant and his mamout. Elephants being a big part of Indian culture, it was nice to see them included. At first, I had no idea why the story of Iravatha and Annayya was included, but in some ways, I feel that it ...more
Lizzy Baldwin
Jun 17, 2015 Lizzy Baldwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, the writing is absolutely beautiful; mature and with a deep understanding of how to construct characters, the writing is warm and inviting. James comes across as intelligent and worldly whilst Lainey comes across as bubbly and delicate but with an intelligence and darker, milder side that makes her even easier to warm to.

I couldn’t put the book down, as the words seemed to roll from the page and wrap themselves around me as I was consumed into the relationship between Lainey and James.
Leah Moyse
May 04, 2015 Leah Moyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books starts us off in India a long time ago with an elephant that went by the name of Iravatha. Admittedly not the start I was expecting upon reading the synopsis. It soon becomes clear though, when in the following chapters we change time and location altogether and meet James the main protaganist of the story.

James, James, James. I went from wanting to take him for a pint and give him a good talking to, to falling out with him. In the end all I felt for him was compassion. It took the f
Sonya Alford
Dec 31, 2015 Sonya Alford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in return for an honest review.

James has gone through life, taking each and every day as it comes, whilst all the time waiting for that special something to turn up. Amongst other things he loves travelling to India. His ongoing journey seems to be lacking one vital element though, a fellow traveller.

Then he meets the lovely Lainey. She is everything James wants and more and he is determined to win her heart. Lainey gives James a reason to grow an
Michelle Ryles
Sep 05, 2015 Michelle Ryles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
It started off a bit odd, with an elephant in India - I thought I had picked up the wrong book, but then the description of the parade was so atmospheric that I could have read a whole book about Indian elephants and been completely content. Then the author flies us across continents to London and James makes an appearance. He meets Lainey in a professional capacity and, when they accidentally meet later in a social environment, I really felt that something special had begun.

James and Lainey app
Dave
Dec 04, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring, and thought provoking literary Novel. A change of genre for me, but what a refreshing piece of writing to make that change with. A tale of love, loss, self preservation and every emotion any human has experienced. I can't recommend this book enough. Lovely!
Linda Hill
Jul 10, 2015 Linda Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No spoilers review of an excellent book https://lindasbookbag.wordpress.com/2...
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2015
Gozde
Gozde rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2015
MaikeK
MaikeK rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Daniel Gothard
Daniel Gothard rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Urbane Publications
Urbane Publications rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Shira
Shira rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Renate B. Dorrel
Renate B. Dorrel rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Juliawoollams
Juliawoollams rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
CLINT
CLINT rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2016
Lucy Merrell
Lucy Merrell rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Anishka Bagla
Anishka Bagla rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Annabel London
Annabel London rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Guy Portman
Guy Portman marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Pensacolaleslie
Pensacolaleslie is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Aneesha
Aneesha marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Tracey-anne McCartney
Tracey-anne McCartney marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Heba Mohamed
Heba Mohamed marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Rawan El-shafaay
Rawan El-shafaay marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Mahmoud Aman
Mahmoud Aman marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Rowayna
Rowayna marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Melanie McKissock
Melanie McKissock marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Yahti
Yahti marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Marwa Ahmed
Marwa Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Brigitte
Brigitte marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Emma Clarke
Emma Clarke marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2016
Since escaping the East Midlands to find his fortune in the big city, Adrian Harvey has combined a career in and around government with trying to see as much of the world as he can. He lives in North London, which he believes to be the finest corner of the world's greatest city; Being Someone was his first novel, The Cursing Stone his second.
More about Adrian Harvey...