Start by marking “What It Felt Like: Living in the American Century” as Want to Read:
What It Felt Like: Living in the American Century

What It Felt Like: Living in the American Century

This treasure of a book gives us a vivid and captivating evocation of the social, cultural, and spiritual tenor of the 20th century, decade by remarkable decade. Each of the ten chapters is a virtual time capsule which reminds, as we plunge headlong into the future, of the richness and importance of our past. Illustrations throughout.
Published October 3rd 2000 by Pantheon (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What It Felt Like, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What It Felt Like

residentoddball
Jul 28, 2009 residentoddball rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
By no means a mere chronological history of events, this book carries you through each decade of the last century like a ride whirling you through a Small World at Disney, but with tremendous substance and profound significance. It's the literary form of watching a filmstrip of the American landscape and its society; Snapshots of "now" from ten different eras.

What It Felt Like describes quite vividly what it indeed must have felt like to live in the 20th Century, honing in on the vibe of the tim
Terry
Jan 28, 2008 Terry rated it it was amazing
REad it. he takes every decade of the American Century, and you hear the music, smell the streets. Very evocative
Hank Stuever
Aug 17, 2013 Hank Stuever rated it it was amazing
When the odometer on the 20th century was nearing the rollover point to the 21st, the Washington Post assigned Henry Allen (or Henry assigned himself?) to tackle the impossible job of putting each of the century's decades into some sort of elegant summary. Henry focused on a guiding principal -- What did it feel like to be alive in the 1910s? The '20s? etc. -- and began reporting. The series ran in September 1999, right as I joined the Style section staff, and is reprinted here. The pieces were ...more
Yvonne
Feb 26, 2015 Yvonne rated it really liked it
A must read for those who enjoy history, the author takes you through the last century decade by decade you are given the sights, sounds, smell and feel of each decade.

I love the quote from Charles Baudelaire that the author starts the book off, he said that each age has "a department, a glance, a smile of its own."

TrumanCoyote
Apr 29, 2011 TrumanCoyote rated it liked it
A very intriguing idea, though almost impossible to pull off. I really thought he might do it though for a while there. First half is definitely better than the second, which progressively deteriorates until we get to the final two chapters, little more than a diatribe/screed (not an evocation). Still, lots of fun old expressions ("Well, aren't you a sketch?" and so forth).
David Ward
Jan 25, 2016 David Ward rated it liked it
What It Felt Like: Living in the American Century by Henry Allen (Pantheon Books 2000) (973.9). The author paints evocative pictures of each decade of the twentieth century to help the reader understand the tone and tenor of America at each point in the century. My rating: 7/10, finished 2001.
Sep 13, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I love the poetry of this book. I enjoy reading it over and over again. Each chapter captures a different decade from the 20th century, so I can pick a decade at random and enjoy all the wonderful images of the time that Allen's creatively descriptive writing invokes.
Crysta
Sep 22, 2015 Crysta rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-politics
Charming little book, with evocative vignettes from each decade of the 20th century. It's not a linear history, but rather the things that mattered to those who lived through it, and what they did, smelled, said, worried about, and rejoiced over.
Scott Whitney
Apr 26, 2011 Scott Whitney rated it liked it
This book started out as a happy book, then the realities of life since the 60s came into sharp focus. It made me remember what life was like and that was not a happy thing. It is very well written and has the ability to take the reader back to a time before the turn of the century.
Dave
Jun 06, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
Written in a way that helps you really feel what it felt like. It made me feel happy and I enjoyed it very much.
Steve Scott
Steve Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Liveinfaith234aol.com
Liveinfaith234aol.com rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Lockc
Lockc rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2011
BillyPilgrim
BillyPilgrim rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2011
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Valeri Bent
Valeri Bent rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2014
rytr_1
rytr_1 rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Natalie Wickman
Natalie Wickman rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Katri
Katri rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2007
Angie Bates
Angie Bates rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2010
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Dave Morehouse
Dave Morehouse rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Helen Loewenthal
Helen Loewenthal rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2009
Madeline
Madeline rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Calysta
Calysta rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2016