Start by marking “The Apostle Paul (Great Courses)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Apostle Paul
Luke Timothy Johnson

The Apostle Paul (The Great Courses #657)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Course Lecture Titles
1. An Apostle Admired and Despised
2. How Should We Read Paul?
3. Pauls Life and Letters
10. FellowshipLetters from Captivity
11. History and Theology
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The Apostle Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apostle Paul

Audio download.
Not being a particularly religious person, I have recently become curious as to the basis for the tenants of the christian religion, as well as the other major mystical cults through history. Since Paul is responsible for writing a large portion of the New Testament, and Prof Johnson is an engaging and well-spoken lecturer, I figured that these lectures would serve me well on my search. I was only slightly disappointed.
I understand that, in the context of Paul's time, the Hebrew w
Religion, like history, mythology and science are subjects that fascinate me. The Teaching Company's Great Courses fill my need for knowledge. The Apostle Paul was a course taught by Luke Timothy Johnson. He teaches many of the religion courses in The Great Courses. This was the first one that I listened to by him.

Pr. Johnson is a professor of theology specializing in New Testament studes. He used to be a Benedictine monk. He is well spoken, and he knows his material. Johnson is a bit on the dry
Fr. Ted
This was the CD version of the course and my 2nd time to listen to it while driving in my car. Helpful insights into understanding St. Paul from someone who is both scholar and believer. He holds a very traditional view that St. Paul at a minimum influenced all of the Epistles bearing his name in the New Testament. He argues that Paul as a rhetorician uses the methodology of rhetoric to change "his voice" in his various letters. Thus Paul is not inconsistent, but when writing to different situat ...more
My first lecture series by Luke Timothy Johnson from the The Great Courses and it was excellent. In my opinion, a wise, scholarly, and balanced approach to Paul. Perhaps I am biased, however, as his view line up pretty well with my own views. But a great overview of the issues surrounding this epic and controversial figure.
Paul's works are the oldest extant works in the New Testament canon (in terms of chronology, Paul's letters predate the Acts and the Gospels) so anyone wanting to trace back the history of Christianity can trace it all the way back to Paul. While I was educated in a Catholic school, I am ashamed to admit that my spiritual education was very limited and if one wants to truly understand the Christian faith, one has to take matters into his own hands and study it on one's own. This is a great resou ...more
David Williams
Excellent lecture series. I first came across Dr. Johnson in an undergraduate class. I have loved his writings ever since that first encounter. Highly recommend it for anyone who wants to know more about the writings of Paul.
Wow, someone who actually believes in Pauline authorship. Dr. Johnson's approach to the text is lucid and contextual. A very helpful series
Hank Pharis
Okay survey from a comparatively moderate Catholic scholar. Critical of critical scholars yet diverse himself.
Interesting views on Paul, the writer and rhetorician and argues for the Pauline authorship of the pastoral epistles. Of cause, these are arguments from a literary point-of-view and not from an inspirational POV. Nonetheless, his arguments lends credibility to the basic authorship issue on the human basis.
I loved this course and I really like Luke Timothy Johnson. For a survey of Paul and the Pauline letters this is fantastic. It is 6 hours long and worth every minute of your time if you are interested in Paul, just wait till it is on sell at the teaching company for $20.00.
I highly recommend these lectures to anyone that professes a belief in the New Testament. I can read the letters of Paul with completely new insight.
I love LTJ's simple and useful explanations of the significance of greek rhetoric when reading the epistles
12 lectues and course book. Very educational and enjoyable.
Elizabeth  Holter
Elizabeth Holter is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2015
Monnie marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Greg marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Anton Rasmussen
Anton Rasmussen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Daunavan Buyer
Daunavan Buyer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Dawt Bawihrin
Dawt Bawihrin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Delia added it
May 30, 2015
Dale added it
May 20, 2015
Doug Moore
Doug Moore marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
He is the R. W. Woodruff Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins at Candler School of Theology and a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University. Professor Johnson's research interests encompass the Jewish and Greco-Roman contexts of early Christianity (particularly moral discourse), Luke-Acts, the Pastoral Letters, and the Letter of James.

He has taug
More about Luke Timothy Johnson...

The Great Courses (1 - 10 of 293 books)
  • My Favorite Universe (Great Courses, #158)
  • Understanding Literature and Life: Drama, Poetry and Narrative (Great Courses, #210)
  • King Arthur and Chivalry (Great Courses, #245)
  • Shakespeare: The Word and the Action (The Great Courses, #273)
  • From Plato to Post-modernism: Understanding the Essence of Literature and the Role of the Author (Great Courses, #295)
  • The Odyssey of Homer (Great Courses #302)
  • Ancient Greek Civilization (Great Courses, #323)
  • Neolithic Europe (Great Courses, #329)
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)