Start by marking “The Apostle Paul (Great Courses)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Apostle Paul

Luke Timothy Johnson

The Apostle Paul (Great Courses)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Course Lecture Titles
1. An Apostle Admired and Despised
2. How Should We Read Paul?
3. Pauls Life and Letters
11. History and Theology
12.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The Apostle Paul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apostle Paul

Jim
May 06, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgc
Audio download.
Not being a particularly religious person, I have recently become curious as to the basis for the tenants of the christian religion, as well as the other major mystical cults through history. Since Paul is responsible for writing a large portion of the New Testament, and Prof Johnson is an engaging and well-spoken lecturer, I figured that these lectures would serve me well on my search. I was only slightly disappointed.
I understand that, in the context of Paul's time, the Hebrew w
Mark
Mar 04, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Religion, like history, mythology and science are subjects that fascinate me. The Teaching Company's Great Courses fill my need for knowledge. The Apostle Paul was a course taught by Luke Timothy Johnson. He teaches many of the religion courses in The Great Courses. This was the first one that I listened to by him.

Pr. Johnson is a professor of theology specializing in New Testament studes. He used to be a Benedictine monk. He is well spoken, and he knows his material. Johnson is a bit on the dry
Rich
Apr 30, 2016 Rich rated it really liked it
Highly recommended! As a Biblical scholar LTJ takes a well thought out individual approach that does not necessarily comply with the standard consensus of prevalent opinion or interpretation of historical analysis. Yet he defends his position with Paul's writings themselves and a vast knowledge of language and the social setting in which they are based. As a believer I have found a new way of reading Paul with the help of this course that I feel only enriches and strengthens understanding. The a ...more
Fr. Ted
Sep 17, 2011 Fr. Ted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the CD version of the course and my 2nd time to listen to it while driving in my car. Helpful insights into understanding St. Paul from someone who is both scholar and believer. He holds a very traditional view that St. Paul at a minimum influenced all of the Epistles bearing his name in the New Testament. He argues that Paul as a rhetorician uses the methodology of rhetoric to change "his voice" in his various letters. Thus Paul is not inconsistent, but when writing to different situat ...more
Kevin
May 05, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first lecture series by Luke Timothy Johnson from the The Great Courses and it was excellent. In my opinion, a wise, scholarly, and balanced approach to Paul. Perhaps I am biased, however, as his view line up pretty well with my own views. But a great overview of the issues surrounding this epic and controversial figure.
Ycel
Paul's works are the oldest extant works in the New Testament canon (in terms of chronology, Paul's letters predate the Acts and the Gospels) so anyone wanting to trace back the history of Christianity can trace it all the way back to Paul. While I was educated in a Catholic school, I am ashamed to admit that my spiritual education was very limited and if one wants to truly understand the Christian faith, one has to take matters into his own hands and study it on one's own. This is a great resou ...more
David Williams
Apr 27, 2015 David Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent lecture series. I first came across Dr. Johnson in an undergraduate class. I have loved his writings ever since that first encounter. Highly recommend it for anyone who wants to know more about the writings of Paul.
Jerome
Nov 25, 2014 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nt
Wow, someone who actually believes in Pauline authorship. Dr. Johnson's approach to the text is lucid and contextual. A very helpful series
Hank Pharis
Sep 22, 2014 Hank Pharis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay survey from a comparatively moderate Catholic scholar. Critical of critical scholars yet diverse himself.
Peter
Aug 08, 2013 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting views on Paul, the writer and rhetorician and argues for the Pauline authorship of the pastoral epistles. Of cause, these are arguments from a literary point-of-view and not from an inspirational POV. Nonetheless, his arguments lends credibility to the basic authorship issue on the human basis.
Kim
Jun 29, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I loved this course and I really like Luke Timothy Johnson. For a survey of Paul and the Pauline letters this is fantastic. It is 6 hours long and worth every minute of your time if you are interested in Paul, just wait till it is on sell at the teaching company for $20.00.
Sid
Sep 01, 2011 Sid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I highly recommend these lectures to anyone that professes a belief in the New Testament. I can read the letters of Paul with completely new insight.
Kevin
Jul 22, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love LTJ's simple and useful explanations of the significance of greek rhetoric when reading the epistles
Elizabeth
Dec 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12 lectues and course book. Very educational and enjoyable.
Ephrem Arcement
Ephrem Arcement rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Mario Russo
Mario Russo rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Olivia Reagan
Olivia Reagan rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Bogdan
Bogdan rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Bryson
Bryson rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
John Thomson
John Thomson rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Alanis Coleman
Alanis Coleman rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Elisa F.
Elisa F. marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Ted Daugherty
Ted Daugherty marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Romy
Romy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
He is the R. W. Woodruff Professor of New Testament and Christian Origins at Candler School of Theology and a Senior Fellow at the Center for the Study of Law and Religion at Emory University. Professor Johnson's research interests encompass the Jewish and Greco-Roman contexts of early Christianity (particularly moral discourse), Luke-Acts, the Pastoral Letters, and the Letter of James.

He has taug
More about Luke Timothy Johnson...