Start by marking “Dancing at the Harvest Moon” as Want to Read:
Dancing at the Harvest Moon

Dancing at the Harvest Moon

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  524 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
His letters thrilled her as a young woman in love for the first time, and now, many years later, they mean more than ever to Maggie McIntyre. After her husband of twenty years leaves her for a younger woman, it's the discovery of Robbie's letters that gives Maggie a renewed sense of purpose: to return to Little Bear Lake and recapture the woman she once was - the woman she ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 187 pages
Published December 31st 1998 by Wheeler Publishing (first published September 15th 1997)

Christine
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who like a good love story
Recommended to Christine by: German book magazine
One of the best novels I ever read!
The perfect love story. An American woman who teaches at college finds out that her husband of many years is in love with a younger woman and wants a divorce. She returns to Canada to a lake where she fell in love for the first time.
The TV movie is with Jacqueline Bisset.
There is another novel by K. C. McKinnon, "Candles on Bay Street", it's also a very good read!

This is a great book for a deserted island...
Nancy Crawford
Aug 27, 2012 Nancy Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read, couldn't put it down. Interesting turn of events. Her insecurities were relatable even if the material wasn't. Nice to see a woman do what men have been doing forever!!
Lisa Thomas
Jul 06, 2013 Lisa Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great summer read. Well written. Quite sentimental, but works for a hopeless romantic like me. A sweet story, worth passing on.
Sally Lindsay-briggs
Maggie has gone through a divorce. She finds a remnant from her former single life from long ago and rushes to Canada to find her lost love. Maggie works hard to make the Harvest Moon dance hall a reality. This is a very lovely but tempestuous story of romance. The plot is rather thin but the 1960's music they talk about and dance to, reminded me of my own fond memories. Bear Lake and the loons brought back happy times at Saranac Lake in the Adirondacks; with the the haunting calls of those maje ...more
Jeffree Itrich
Jun 03, 2013 Jeffree Itrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at the bottom of my book shelf. Not sure when I got it; possibly when I worked for a big book wholesaler a decade ago. I don't know why it took so long to read it but I'm glad I did because I really liked it. This is definitely chick-lit but not a romance novel. Yes, it has a lot of romance, in fact it is obsessed with it, but not in the romance genre kind of way. So why you may ask did I finally read this book? The back cover enticed me with the following:

"For some people, the
Kayla
Aug 31, 2007 Kayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'm not one for cheesy romance novels, but I liked this one. The author does get a bit wrapped up in describing scenery every now and then, but I just sped up my reading through those parts to get to the meat of the story. It's a pretty quick read and it doesn't have all the "filler" that a lot of novels have just to increase the number of pages. I recommend it if you are in the mood for a story about second chances for love.
Donna Girouard
Maggie's husband, Joe, has a mid-life crisis and leaves Maggie for a woman half his age. Maggie reacts by trying to recapture her youth and her first love. When she finds out that that is not possible, she falls in "love" with a BOY less than half her age, thus having her own mid-life crisis.
Okay, here are my issues with this book:
First: Maggie is 46 and the barely-adult she falls for is 21. Ew.
Second: this boy (really) is the SON of her first love. Ew.
Third: As a college professor (as am I), Ma
Katieosborn
This book was alright. I found myself a little disturbed by the story line--the main character falls in love with her (now deceased) ex-lover's son. I just thought that the plot was a little weird.
Sherry Grussing
Oct 15, 2011 Sherry Grussing rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse Blayne
May 05, 2014 Jesse Blayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet escape - just what I needed on a rainy weekend.
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
maggie is feeling kind of lost: her husband of 20 years has left her for a younger woman and her children are out on their own. feeling let down, she comes across some love letters from her first love, and decides to buy the old dance hall where she was working when she met her love. when she gets there, she finds out that her love had married and then died. she comes across someone who she thinks is a ghost at first, because he looks like her first love. instead, it is his son, and he
Carolyn F.
This was an older woman, younger man story that I thought would give me the heebie jeebies. Maggie's husband leaves her for a girl 20 years younger. After almost a year she comes across old love letters from her beau before she met her husband while she worked a summer job in Canada at the Harvest Moon. She decides to go on sabbatical and check out the place maybe reconnecting with her old love. She learns he died a few years back. His son lives there and is the spitting image of his dad. The so ...more
Gerry
Apr 14, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maggie’s 46, her daughters are grown, and her husband has just left her for a 20-something paralegal. She decides to return to Canada, where she worked summers as a college student, to find her first love, whose heart she’d broken 25 years before. He’s gone, though, but left behind a son, with whom she falls in love. A very romantic and enjoyable read.
Rita Mahan
Maggie's first love took place in 1967 and so did mine so guess I enjoyed this book for that reason.
We never really forget our "first love" and after Maggie's 20 year marriage ends, she heads back
to Little Bear Lake to find the life she left behind. Her best friend is there, the Harvest Moon is for sale and thus begins her tale.
Emily
Aug 12, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-university, fluff
I read this years ago. But I heard the Neil Young song today and was reminded of the book and thought I'd look it up. I remember really enjoying it when I read it after it had first come out. If you're looking for something light for a fall afternoon this is it.
Barbara
Dec 21, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dancing at the Harvest Moon is another lovely, little gem of a book. It is one of the best used books that I've picked up at the library. I really related to the story of the older woman in a transitional phase of her life. Even though my transitional issues are different, I loved the way the main character bravely set out and moved forward in her life... making decisions that were "outside of the box" and not always what others thought she should do. The simple story and illustrations were very ...more
Jenn Engle
Quick but thought-provoking read about the decisions we make in life and their ripple effect. Resounding message: make the choice to live the life you deserve.
Erica Hudson
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Bill
Dec 25, 2014 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was somewhat of an introspective read in that it encourages the reader to think back to more youthful days and summer romances.
Diksha
Jan 04, 2011 Diksha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, romance
I have read this book four times already and I absolutely love it. It is a simple story about the unique path love can take sometimes. After getting a divorce Maggie goes to Canada where she had spent a couple of summers and found her first love. It was a time in her life when she was defining who she was. Now, after losing her husband, her children all grown up, she feels that she needs to define herself all over again. She goes in search of the love she once turned away from but finds another ...more
Marie Buccellato
Life is full of memories - leave them in the past & make new memories is what I got from reading this book!!!
Megan
Nov 01, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very heartwarming story about second chances. Definitely a keeper.
Jennifer Hazlett
Enjoyed the story and that it was set in Canada.
Wanda
Oct 28, 2011 Wanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: set-free
Three things disappointed me about "Dancing at the Harvest Moon:"

1. The book I was reading has the question marks upside down. It was startling and distracting. Also made me focus on how many questions were asked in this book.

2. The Cathie Pelletier (K.C. Mckinnon is a pseudonym) humor was not there.

3. I believe you cannot go back. Life is a journey forward.

And, really, can a relationship with 20 year ago difference work? And why isn't Eliot angry about Maggie breaking his dad's heart?

Laurie Sacrey
Apr 17, 2016 Laurie Sacrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book
Candice
May 21, 2014 Candice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utterly predictable from the first chapter.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read this several years ago and rated it a 6 out of 10. It is a story about a divorced woman in her forties who decides to go back to visit the lake in Canada where she met her first love and eventually "broke his heart". This time she buys the old inn where she had worked, and meets the son of her old flame.

I can't remember the details about why I gave it a 6/10; it could have been the style, or maybe it just didn't ring true. I should have written it down.
Pamela Pickering
I never really felt engaged by this story. In fact, my mind often wandered while reading it. For me, the character development was lacking. Especially in regards to the character of Eliot. All we get of Eliot is that he could be his father's twin--same looks, mannerisms, interests. We really don't get anything of his personality or why Maggie falls in love with him other than he reminds her of his father. Due to the lack of depth, I found myslef skimming my way to the end.
Amanda McCrohan
Dec 01, 2014 Amanda McCrohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I absolutely loved this book! I really love books where strong female characters reinvent themselves & "Dancing at the Harvest Moon" is definitely one of those novels. I really want to read more books by K.C. McKinnon. What a wonderful read!
  • Wild Oats (Wild Oats, #1)
  • Maximum Exposure
  • Texas Destiny / Texas Glory / Texas Splendor (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Tamara's Spirit (Corralled #2)
  • Rico (Rock Creek Six, #3)
  • Children of Salem
  • Hot and Bothered (Out of Uniform, #1-3)
  • Steve's Story (Circle of Friends, #2)
  • The Lover
  • Naughty Bits 2: An Anthology of Short Erotic Fiction
  • The Art of Desire
  • Highland Obsession
  • The Seduction of Shamus O'Rourke (Jamesville, #4)
  • Night Train to Lisbon: A Novel
  • Scandal's Daughter (Series, #1)
  • Twice a Bride (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #4)
  • Scoundrel's Kiss (Medieval, #2)
  • Cowboy Up