Start by marking “Hail To The Chief (87th Precinct, #28)” as Want to Read:
Hail To The Chief (87th Precinct, #28)

Hail To The Chief (87th Precinct #28)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Detectives Steve Carella and Burt Kling set out to end the racial warfare that caused the deaths of six teenagers.
Published September 1st 1975 by Macmillan Education Australia (first published January 28th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Hail To The Chief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hail To The Chief

James Thane
Of the twenty-eight novels in the 87th Precinct series thus far, this one, for me, is the least successful of all.

The story opens on a bitterly cold winter night when six naked bodies are found thrown into a trench. The detectives of the 87th must first identify the victims and then figure out who killed them and why.

It turns out that the deceased are victims of a gang war being fought by the three principal gangs that dominate the city, one black, one Hispanic, and one white. The point of view
Skip
Six naked bodies, on of whom is an infant, are dumped in a ditch with no identification. Fortunately for the 87th Street Precinct, one of the girls of a gang member is horrified over the accidental killing of a baby tips the police to the fact that this was gang-related. This book oscillates between the police work and the gang leader justifying his actions of the killing and aftermath.
Desiree Zamorano
I love Ed McBain and snap up his titles when Amazon promotes discounts for Kindle.
This book, as you may gather from the title, is a send up of positions of authority, in this instance, a president of a club (read gang). Perhaps other 87th Precinct tales have this not to subtle subtext, but this was clearly an attack on Nixon's war policies. Fascinating!

WHAT I HATED ABOUT THIS COVER:
Oh, we have black thug on the cover. Who's the actual thug in the novel?
A WHITE GUY. I hate this cover--it has not
Cathy
I liked this story quite a lot - written quite differently from most of the books in this series. The story was told using the third person narrative, alternating with a prolonged confession of the mastermind of a multiracial gangland killing of six people - the leader of the black gang and his wife, along with the leader of the Latino gang and his wife - those were deliberate - in order to bring about peace between the gangs. Which, I know, makes no sense. Also killed were the baby of the black ...more
Steve
Another great tale by Ed McBain. Very interesting POVs. Fast and fun read.
Hamlen Mark
The 87th precinct never gets old.
Shirley
Loved the first in this series so hoping for another good one. And I was not disappointed. Great story and some good recipes as well--always a great combination. Information about the workings of the White House especially appropriate right at this time.
Karl
I've been rereading the 87th precinct books; hadn't read this one in a long time, and was pleasantly surprised. The form was pretty experimental for McBain, along with the usual sharp police mystery.
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
One of his better books. Story told from cops' POV intertwined with criminal's POV which worked really well. But I'm getting a bit fed up of 'the male gaze'. (Read it in a day)
Michael Moats
good quick read. like mcbain's writing style. it's concise and direct. feels more life like than most writers in this genre.
Rose
Feb 10, 2010 Rose added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
The head gangster, Randy, reminded me so much of David Brent from The Office. This cracked me up the whole book through.
Mike O'connell
Still another fast moving 87th Precinct novel. This oner tells the story of big city street gangs.
Joan
McBain is usually better than this. Slow, awkward, uninteresting...
Doug Haskin
Classic 87th Precinct, but with a different point of view!
Sandi
Typical Ed McBain. I really like his 87th precinct series.
Simon Parsons
Gritty cop thriller - very good.
Cherylrose Budd
Cherylrose Budd marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Ellyn
Ellyn marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Jay Kilgore
Jay Kilgore marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Candyland
  • Not Comin' Home to You
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • The Kill: A Hunt Country Suspense Novel
  • Damned in Paradise (Nathan Heller, #9)
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • Stealing Trinity
  • The Dark Door
  • The Blackpool Highflyer (Jim Stringer, #2)
  • Killer in the Rain
  • One Police Plaza
  • Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #1)
  • The Railway Viaduct
  • The Hand in the Glove
  • Noble Cause, A
  • The Doomsday Brunette
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
Ed McBain is a pseudonym of Evan Hunter, who was born and raised as Salvatore Lombino in New York City, living in East Harlem until the age of 12, at which point his family moved to the Bronx. He attended Olinville Junior High School, then Evander Childs High School, before winning an Art Students League scholarship. Later, he was admitted as an art student at Cooper Union.

Hunter served in the Nav
More about Ed McBain...
Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1) Ice (87th Precinct, #36) The Mugger (87th Precinct #2) Let's Hear It For The Deaf Man (87th Precinct, #27) Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)