Family Blessings

Family Blessings

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  3,042 ratings  ·  73 reviews
LaVyrle Spencer is a New York Times best-selling author and has touched the hearts of millions with her moving novels filled with gripping emotional power. Lee Reston, a 40-something widow, feels she has a rewarding life until the tragic death of her oldest son, Greg throws her into turmoil. Comforted by Gregs best friend Christopher, Lee tenuously puts her life-and heart-...more
Audio Cassette
Published 2002 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Family Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Blessings

BJ Rose
WOW! This story was so emotionally draining through the first part that I had to put it down and do something physical to recharge. As this story opens, the heroine is a widow who loses her oldest child in a motorcycle accident, and we soon learn that two decades earlier she lost a baby to SIDS. This sounds like a bad soap opera, but in this author's hands, it becomes an uplifting story of dealing with loss.

Unfortunately, IMO, this is marketed as a romance, and the focus in readers' minds is on...more
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description...

Even with the errors in grammar and predictability of the story, this book was amazing! Very emotional, with a real personal feel to it. I really didn't want it to end, and it was so refreshing to me to read a book like this. I completely loved it, I'd gladly/willing read a story like this every day.

Jane Stewart
A wonderful relationship - much more than lust. A full story, a good story.

This is romance with a womens fiction feel. There is a lot of grief in the first third of the book. A mother Lee loses her 25 year old son Greg in a motorcycle accident. Chris is Greg’s roommate and coworker. Chris mourns the loss with Lee and her family. I don’t want to read books about grief and depressing topics. But this was less troubling than I expected. The author wasn’t focused on making me cry or feel bad. Instea...more
kim
Great descriptive writing,

This is the 2nd book I've read by this author and have enjoyed them both. Though she is billed as a 'romance' author, she is really a 'relationship' author, because her character definitely develop relationships. This author does a great job with character development, and with descriptions of people and places.

I did feel the book dragged at one point, shortly after the relationship became physical. I guess the point was to let us know how passionate they were for each...more
Virginia Markhart
I picked this book up at the library, mainly because I have read a couple by the same author that I enjoyed so much. This one was a disappointment. I am learning that I don't necessarily love every book by a favored author. This is the story of a woman who falls in love with a man 15 years younger than herself. He was a good friend and room mate of her son who died in a motorcycle accident. Her adult daughter harbors feelings of her own toward the man she has fallen for and the whole extended fa...more
Beth Peninger
Here's the story about me and Spencer's books. When I was in high school my boyfriend's mom knew how much I loved to read and loaned me one of Spencer's titles and got me hooked. In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best kind of book to get me hooked on. Spencer has great story lines but her books have a lot of sex in them. And she's one of those authors that employs every euphemism possible for body parts and sexual acts. As a high schooler reading these you can imagine how equally ho...more
Kelsey M. Miller
"Family Blessings" is about a mom named Lee who has a son that works for the local police department, named Greg. Greg's best friend, Chris is also a police officer. One afternoon, Lee got a phone call from the police department saying that someone got into a very bad motorcycle accident. Since the accident was so bad that had a hard time identifying who the person was so Lee had to tell them if that person was Greg. Unfortuanately, it was Greg. Lee was full of grief and didn't know what she wou...more
Kat
Quite frankly at the time I started reading this book a good friend's father died and I had been helping her work through her grief. The ENTIRE first 1/3 of this book is about the death of the main character's son. Dealing with the death, the funeral, cleaning out his apartment, etc etc. It was actually pretty sad..especially when going through something like that for real at the same time. It was like death overload.

The book and romance itself really were "meh" to me. I didn't care too much ab...more
Jessica
I'll kick off this review by stating that Lavyrle Spencer has long time been and continues to be my favorite author, no question about it. It has taken me years to find a copy of Family Blessings, and while it is not at the top of my list of favorites by her, I'm glad to own it and to have read it. And because it's Lavyrle Spencer, the writing is beautiful and hard to put down.

Many of her books are romance ones, and this is no different. The romance in this really failed to captivate me. It's th...more
Becky
Lee Reston is a woman in her forties with 3 children who are her life, and co-owns a floral shop with her sister. When she gets word from Officer Christopher Lallek,her son Greg's best friend and fellow officer, that he has been killed in a motorcycle accident, Lee's world and her family's is shattered apart. Already experiencing the death of another child and her husband, she wonders how much more she can endure. She becomes close to Christopher as a crutch through her grief, until their relati...more
Pygmy
Cougar romance, lol. Fashion descriptions date this, but they are easy to gloss over if I imagine, say, Ben McKenzie in his Southland cop uniform and Morena Baccharin in her Homeland wife role (though I guess the actress is technically in her 30s...). Then all is well!

Extremely sentimental romance that has way too much crying and grieving in the beginning-- while understandable, it was tedious to read through, so I skimmed. Once the story progressed, however, the slow pace sold me 100% on the re...more
Caroline
A sweet story of a love that knows no age, of laughter, heartache and struggles. As usual, Spencer writes with such grand emotion, such expressive feelings, it's hard not to feel attached to such human characters. I am a bigger fan of her historical period stories as opposed to her contemporary works, but this was definitely a great read.

I have to admit, when I see a couple with a large age difference (10 years or more) my eyebrows would go up and the usual thing. I never judged but I never real...more
Elaine
This book is such a wonderful story of love and loss. But the pain and suffering of both these m/c are too much to bare alone. What they find together is overwhelming and so wonderful. What the people outside don't understand is that it doesn't matter the age difference. It is the love that binds them.
Jacqueline
May 09, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacqueline by: amazon lists
I liked this book. I cried at the death of the son which happens on the first page and occupies about half of the book. The relationship between the older woman and the younger man was good but sometimes I get tired of the woman always being so upset about falling in love with a younger man. I married a younger man (granted just 7 years not 15 but even books with a 5 to 7 years difference make a big deal out of it) and it just didn't matter to either of us. The romance was good and well written....more
Tressa
Family Blessings had a slow pace and a predictable plot.
Babs Pennant
A sad but lovely book and a great romance for fans of Ms Spencer.
Karin
I think I've only read this once or twice before. As a high school girl, contemporary romances were not my favorite, especially ones about 30&45 year olds. As an adult, I'm enjoying some of the oddities of a contemporary romance set in 1993, especially since I was still a kid then. No cell phones or direct deposit. Hot pink Croakies, Standard Oil and Northwest Air!

I finished the book, and I have to say, it's a pretty solid read, I enjoyed it. Especially since I found myself in Anoka while re...more
Dana
This was actually the second time I read this story. The first half of the story is very emotional. Lee's 25 year old son, Greg, has been killed. Lee and Greg's best friend, 30 year-old Chris, are drawn together in their grief. What follows is the story of how their relationship deepens and evolves. The 15 year age difference didn't bother me, as they are both mature adults. I did feel that the second half of the story dealt too much with their physical relationship. The ending almost seemed too...more
Verena Meier
Heavy stuff but really love that book !
Jeannine
A lovely love story, and I did enjoy it, but to me it just dragged on too much at different parts of the book. A third in it was all still about Greg's death - I kept waiting for the story to actually begin. His death is of course what brought them together, but there was just too much crying before the story began taking shape. Other parts also dragged along. I guess the story was just a bit slow for me.....hehe. I love LaVyrle Spencer's books, and even though I did enjoy this one, it is my lea...more
Bev
I am looking through some of the books I had read in the past so I can get up to 20 on here and have books recommended to me! :) When I came across this one I remembered how much I truly loved this book. I highly recommend it...it was one of my all time favorite books! It opens with a tragedy, but progresses as a book to always remember.
...Just finished reading this...for the second or third time, which is unusual for me to read a book more than once. It's just as good the second time around :)
Julie
Great, great book and not at all what I expected! I went into it having no idea what the plotline was all about (older woman younger man) and simply loved it. As always, Spencer's realism sucks me in. I must admit, the first part of the book is heart wrenching and I had to put it down several times and take it in small doses, but then I got into it and it was smooth sailing from there (though not for Christopher and Lee). Teary-eyed HEA ending, though.

4.5/5
Liska De Freitas
Hermoso libro. Me ha hecho llorar muchisimo, pero valió la pena.
Brenda
This was a most unusual type of book for one of my favorite authors, LaVyrle Spencer.

As usual, she finds a difficult topic and sucks the very life out of it.

This is a book about an older woman who falls in love with one of her recently deceased son's friends. Despite the differnce in their ages, the way the story is written makes you want their relationship to work.

Somehow, the brilliant Spencer makes everything A-Okay.

Maddux
This was a good read. It felt a little heavy on the grief in the first part of the book.

This is the second book I've read by LS where our hero seems to have a "mother complex" or whatever. Not a bad thing, in particular, I'm just wondering if this is something characteristic of her.

Not the best LS I've read, but not because of the writing. LS writes an excellent story.

I give this one 3 stars. But you may like it better.
Rebecca Dean
One of my favorite books of LaVyrle's. Love her writing and love this story. Lee Reston and Christopher are such a wonderful pair - loved the whole premise.

I read this book back in the 1990's when it first came out and have read it every 10 years or so. It is a great book, just my kind of book.

Well-developed characters, interesting plot lines, struggles and triumphs.
Laurie Stoll
This story is worthy of every one of the five stars I gave it.

Family Blessings is a remarkle story. I am very glad I read this book while I was home because tears streamed down my face frequently. The characters felt so real I felt their pain, sadness, joy, and every other emotion this story seem to provoke.

Not only a good read........a great read!
Jaime Atkins
This book was amazing! Extremely emotional and personal. I felt every feeling, cried every tear, and smiled every smile the characters did. I couldn't read fast enough and was so disapointed to get to the end. This was one of those rare books that grips you and refuses to let go. I wish I could be in the midst of a good book like this one every day!!!
Carolyn F.
Very slow start but about 2/3 of the way through the audiobook started to speed up. Barbara Rush is the narrator who was good at everyone but Lee the heroine. She made her sound at least 20 years older than the book listed her. The ending was a little strange, when compared to the rest of the book. If you've ever read it, you'll understand.
sihaya
.....this is actually the 2nd book i read from this author back in 2003 when i was pregnant with my eldest child....i just reread it and was also lucky to watch a preview of the tv serries courtesy of online website on youtube ....i must say Linda Carter really do justice playing the character of Lee Reston....and Steven Eckholdt as Chris...
4DRAKE: Family Blessings 1 4 Dec 11, 2013 04:42PM
  • For My Daughters
  • Tangled Vines
  • Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • No Place Like Home
  • One Summer
  • The Tender Texan
  • Morning Comes Softly
  • The Lightkeeper
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu...more
More about LaVyrle Spencer...
Morning Glory Separate Beds Small Town Girl That Camden Summer Hummingbird