Start by marking “Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)

Sword of the Highlands (Highlands #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  18 reviews
One minute, she's New York heiress and art curator Magda Deacon, enraptured by the Highlander captured in an old portrait. The next, she's falling through time to 17th-century Scotland--and embarking on the most erotic journey of her life.
Published May 27th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Sword of the Highlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword of the Highlands

Sharon
Meh. I wasn't crazy about this book, the second in the Highland series by Veronica Wolff. Usually romance + the highlands + time travel = an hour or two of enjoyable reading for me. In this case, not so much. I was a little surprised, since the first book was pretty decent, but this one just never came together enough to really hold my interest. I will try the next one in the series to see if this was an anomaly, or if I need to give up on Wolff.
As an aside- the author was inspired to write thi
Jul 08, 2008 Sarah marked it as couldnt-finish
Shelves: traded
I could not finish this book. The characters were just boring. The 21st-century heroine travels back to 17th-century Scotland and into the bed of James Graham. He then drags her on a campaign to protect Scotland's religious freedom, which is where the story centers. Honestly, the time-travel element has so litte to do with the plot and characters (since Magda adjusts to 17th century life and speech within a day it seems) that it may as well not have been included at all. She even talks like a wo ...more
Brittany
I enjoyed it but I do not know if it was the edition I had or what... It was very hard to follow. There was no space in between different characters and conversations. It made it hard to figure out what was going on.... other than that it was ok not terrible...
Darlene Daniel
she is a great writter this one was based on a true person it was full of history. It is a must read if you like to read about the highlands which I love to read.
Anne
As I have said before, I am not a fan of time travel as I do not believe in it, but if it was possible, this one was very well written.
Recommended
Kendra
Bk. 2, Magda and James. Another fast enjoyable read with a historical twist.
Tammy
WOW! Okay, so the first book in the series was okay, nothing spectacular but acceptable. This second book I had to delete after having read only 27%. I read a book a day and have since I was 4 years old. I love reading and have read daily even when it wasn't considered cool to read when in high school. I've been reading daily for 36 years and for the first time in my life I have had the fun of reading sucked right out of me. I thought that maybe it was just this second book that was terrible and ...more
Amanda
Book #20
This had quite a bit more substance than a normal romance. The Male lead was based on a real historical figure - 17th century James Grahm, first Marquis of Montrose in Scotland. A lot of the novel dealt with James' military campaigns in Scotland. The romance with 21st century, time travelling Magda was almost like a second thought. I thought the ending was bittersweet. Surely it was happier than James' true ending (he was hanged in Edinburgh in 1650, a fact that you learn very early in t
Kathrynn
New York City (present day) to Scotland (1638), this time-travel was an okay read. The characters, Magdalen (Magna) and James were odd names for me. "James" seemed more modern and "Magna" was very different.

Started off good, but there were places that the book really dragged. And the interruption or switch to different scenes became annoying. I missed the sexy Scottish language as they seemed to talk, for the most part, in modern times.

There were some annoying parts, for me, by both characters
Jennette
I just couldn't get into this story. It was struggle to finish. I can't really say exactly what it was. I guess I just didn't feel the passion or connection but I just can't pinpoint what exactly the problem was.
Laura the Highland Hussy
I liked the beginning, but the rest of it was boring, and skipped around alot. The whole book was kind of like that. Okay, James is going off to war, oh wait it's two weeks later, oh no wait, it's next month. It was kind of aggravating, and there was a lot of battle strategizing, but the battles weren't what I wanted to read about, what about Magda?! It was okay. Not a great read, and not a bad one, just...meh. It's a shame since the one that comes after it is really good, but now I don't even w ...more
Keely
I was very disappointed!!! Veronica is a good writer and did a great job with her 1st book. This book she was all over the place. She focused to much on the history and not enough on the character development. The romance seemed thrown in, as a after thought. She brought the old witch from the 1st book back to give Magda the Helbain, but Lonan the monk with foresight could have done that without any confusion. The story just didn't hang together at all.
Denise
This really seemed like book 1 not book 2 in the series since the folks in this book were some of the same in the last book but younger. I am not sure why she did it this way but maybe book 3 will explain things. This was an interesting book again time travel and highlanders - couldn't go wrong. Lots of waring in this book but that was the time period.
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
OMG!! I never read such a boring romance 'sigh'. Too bad I need to finish it. The beginning was superb, after that hurm boring boring boring.

Much² better in the middle. I always love time-travel romance but this books really not up to my standards.

Beccie
Good story didn't like it as much as the first one. I would have thought this would have been the 1st of the series since Ewan (who is the main character in the first book) is still a teenager.
Shadee
This book was okay. Heroine was a bit wimpy, hero was interesting (actually historical figure re-written by Wolff) but it just wasn't that exciting.
Erin
skipped over 100 pages.
Ram
Ram marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Laura Spencer
Laura Spencer marked it as to-read
M.S
M.S marked it as to-read
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
B
B marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Choko
Choko marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Max Renee
Max Renee marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
  • A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Highlander's Challenge (Challenge, #1)
  • A Highlander for Christmas
  • Tempting the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • Highland Sinner (Murray Family, #16)
  • Awaken the Highland Warrior (Connor Clan, #1)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Hot & Heavy (Viking II, #5)
Once upon a time there was a girl. She liked horses and Shaun Cassidy and Gunne Sax dresses, like many of the other girls her age. She had a big, loving family and, since their dad was in the Navy, they moved around. A lot. She was shy, though, and generally preferred a day spent in the company of her Trixie Belden books to running around with the other kids, whom she really didn’t know very well ...more
More about Veronica Wolff...

Highlands (4 books)
  • Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
Isle of Night (The Watchers, #1) Vampire's Kiss (The Watchers, #2) Blood Fever (The Watchers, #3) The Keep (The Watchers, #4) Master of the Highlands (Highlands, #1)