Start by marking “Swan Sky” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Swan Sky

Keizaburō Tejima

Swan Sky

Imbued with the vitality of the natural world, Tejima's group of swans and haunting multi-colored woodcuts convey the poignancy of this gentle story of life and death. Full-color illustrations.
Published October 20th 1988 by Philomel Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Swan Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swan Sky

Sylvester
Sep 09, 2014 Sylvester rated it really liked it
5* art
4* story

Stunning artwork.
Here's the cover, as it's not shown above.

Rafael
Feb 13, 2012 Rafael rated it it was amazing
This is a very touching story for young readers (age 4-8 is recommended) and has a lot of valuable lessons about family life and facing challenges. There is a simplicity to the story and the illustrations incorporate woodcuts, creating a unique and memorable look. The pictures give young readers a great look and feel of nature. There is a benefit to reading this story to any child who has recently suffered a loss of a loved one because the theme is very healing and caring in terms of accepting ...more
Garren
Sep 06, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
I didn't care much for the story, but the woodcut art is top notch!
Morgan
This book is kind of sad. There is a family death. The family realizes that the swan is sick so they stay with her until the very end. This can be something that the students relate to if they have ever had a family death. I would really have to know my students to be able to read this book aloud.
John Beeler
Jan 15, 2008 John Beeler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sharedwithcosi
Cosi wasn't that interested in it, but like Tejima's Owl Lake, the art is fantastic.

But this story is so sad! I kind of like childrens' stories that ballsy enough to portray death.

Yes, I cried.
Kelly
Originally published in 1983 in Japan under the title Ōhakuchō no sora. (Wasn't published in U.S. until 1988.)
Beautiful woodcut illustrations.
It's rare to find a children's book that deals so beautifully and gently with death while still being honest.
Sasha
Nov 29, 2009 Sasha rated it it was amazing
My absolute favourite book when I was about 7. I read it to bits. Owl Lake is pretty fantastic too. This was the first book to ever make me cry.
Savannah
Sep 16, 2013 Savannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I was so sad when I read that the swan died and my son was even more shocked. I loved the ending though and how you can discuss healing and love even when something or someone has passed.
Library
Library rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2016
AAEM
AAEM rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
Robyn
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2012
Moses Seenarine
Moses Seenarine rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
C.
C. rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2012
Sadie
Sadie rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Raya
Raya rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
John
John added it
Apr 08, 2009
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
May 11, 2011
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 12, 2011
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2011
Kcarmack
Kcarmack marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
RAW
RAW added it
Sep 23, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016