The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day

The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Announcing the wedding bible: the most complete, lively, handholding, step-by-step guide to help every couple have a perfect wedding—no matter their budget, taste, or personalities. More than 2.2 million North American couples tie the knot each year; until now, only a mere fraction could work with celebrity wedding planner Mindy Weiss. But the significant fact is not Ms. W...more
Published April 17th 2008 by Workman Publishing Company (first published March 27th 2008)

Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brides
Shelves: nonfiction, weddings
The gospel of wedding books. I actually interviewed Weiss a few months ago for a wedding piece and I can see why she is Planner-To-The-Stars. There is something about her voice and tone that makes you really, really relaxed. Suddenly, my deadline meant nothing to me.

Anyway, I also used this book for my own wedding and found it superlative for it's level of detail and scope. The timeline was extremely helpful. In all the other wedding books I noticed that the timelines were vague and unhelpful....more
Laurel
Nov 08, 2008 Laurel marked it as to-read
I hope that by borrowing this book, I will take a quiz to find out what kind of a wedding I want, and it will tell me exactly how to create it, without spending any money.

So far the quiz tells me that I am a "novice."

I'm not reading this anymore because it just stresses me out!
I have to think of one thing at once, and Mindy makes me want to create invitations and try on dresses before I even know where the hell the wedding is going to take place. Can I just do the creative things and let someone...more
Kimberly Ann
I read as much of this book as I am going to. It helped me for the most part to let me in on things I may not have thought of otherwise. The lists in the back were very helpful for the last month or so before my wedding. There were certain things I wanted answers to and was surprised that the book didn't have them, which was frustrating at times. My only other criticism was that the writer seemed to provide more traditional answers and advice than I wanted-- though she was uncritical about many...more
Kim
The wedding-planning BIBLE. Seriously, my sister is the best MOH for picking this up for me. It goes beyond a checklist, providing images, diagrams, samples, historical facts and stories, and suggestions that go above and beyond anything I would have ever even thought about, yet is still necessary to plan the big day. I'm actually really enjoying this book for its literary quality, if you can believe that - its graphic organizers are great, and the "For Him" stickers are awesome to remind me wha...more
Brittany
This book was my bible when I was planning my wedding. I didn't need any other books. There was so much I didn't realize I didn't know, especially in the etiquette department.
Mandy Decker
I bought three books for planning my wedding and this was my favorite by far. Tons of useful information and tons of information you won't need (like ceremonies for various religions) but the headings are extremely clear and it's easy to skip over the stuff that does not pertain to your wedding.

This is definitely an all in one book an the only one you need!
Claire
This book is definitely going to be my number one resource as we plan our wedding this year. Weiss is billed as the "wedding coordinator to the stars," but she's perfectly down to earth. The book is organized in a helpful chronological sequence, and she doesn't assume you have an endless budget. The timeline in the back is detailed and a great way to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. My fiance is already asking who this "she" is I keep referring to (as in "She says..."). Above and beyo...more
Jessica
Mindy Weiss is a celebrity wedding planner, and so you have to take some of this book with a grain of salt, in terms of etiquette and whatnot. (You do NOT, in my opinion, have to serve alcohol at a wedding). It is so in depth and such a perfect resource. It has pictures of the different trains, sample wedding invitation wording, questions to ask your vendors, a budget worksheet, etc. If you only buy one wedding book, you should buy this one. I didn't buy it and racked up quite a library fine--I...more
V. comprehensive, which is exactly what I - who knew little to none about the intricacies of wedding planning (obviously, or I would have eloped..) - needed. As could be foreshadowed by the authors' names, chuppahs are mentioned on every other page, but they certainly give at least lip service to all varieties of weddings. The timeline is great. For a budget, go with a GoogleDocs template. Mazel Tov!
Emily K
This book was the ULTIMATE wedding handbook when I was planning my wedding this summer. Mindy Weiss is a very talented, experienced wedding planner for many celebrities, so when I saw her book, I trusted the book at first glance! It was the BEST go-to guide and covered many topics and issues that might arise if you are planning your wedding without hiring a planner. HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!
Erin Landers
This is *the* wedding book. You don't need another wedding book.

You are walked through every step of the process, including questions to ask vendors, budget breakdowns, every possible option for every choice you have to make, and there are interesting tidbits about the history behind the customs along the way.
Colleen
I started reading this book cover to cover. While I didn't finish the entire book that way, I thought it had a lot of good information for brides planning a wedding, regardless of the type of wedding you wanted to have. I would recommend this book to any bride, especially one doing their own wedding planning.
Christa
This is someone who is used to planning big budget celebrity weddings. I needed a dictionary to understand some of the terms. It was overwhelming to sit down and read the whole book. Better to read the section I was working on at the time.
Adeli
ITs Great!!! What a book to add to this, huh!?!?! Its got great tips on every single detail, from sketches of bridal dress silohuettes to various traditions on every kind of religious ceremony and how to combine them and etiquette on everything!!!
Andrea
This book was informative, & the ideas in it really could be scaled down to fit any budget. I found the timelines & lists very helpful. I haven't finished it because our wedding plans changed, but I would recommend it to engaged couples.
Erin
I won this book in a writing contest for InStyle magazine - it arrived after we got married, but is still fun to look through. It's a little overwhelming though. I think I could write a much better book!!
Charlene
After reading four other wedding planning books, this was by far the best and most thorough! I have 5 months until my wedding and will STILL be referring to it for its tips, helpful hints, and checklists!
Carla
Great resource for every step of wedding planning. Of all the books I read on wedding planning, I think this was the most helpful. I plan to purchase it for all of my friends as soon as they get engaged!
Rebecca
The most important take-away from this book was knowing what sorts of things to ask or think about while planning. She provides lists of questions that I saved and used with vendors.
Lauren Ann
Apr 19, 2012 Lauren Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: engaged folk who want a combination of practical and background information
I feel well-versed in the wedding world now. Many options and approaches are covered: good for any budget or style. The book if full with sidebars, appendixes, and sticker flags.
Allison
Feb 15, 2012 Allison added it
Shelves: own, read-in-12
I'm convinced that this is the best wedding planning book out there! I learned sooo much about etiquette, the history of weddings, and tips that nobody ever tells you about!!
Jessica
This book was a necessity when planning our wedding. It has all the answers to the million questions that arise during the planning process.
Jennifer Yost
I HIGHLY, highly recommend this book for any bride to be. Everything you could possibly need is in this thing. I took it with me everywhere.
Heidi
This book demystifies the wedding planning industry and helps you navigate planning, dealing with vendors, and getting the wedding YOU want.
Victoria
I'm loving this for reference! Lots of great traditional advice, but with a twist to make it your own!
Stephanie Jenner
The only book I ever read while planning my wedding. It had it all. One-stop-shop right here!
Stephanie
Some helpful information here, but so much to wade through to find it!!
Shock
Completely comprehensive. Fantastic source for wedding questions!
Meghan Kitz
Eh, just okay. A little too traditional for me.
Shiela
HUGE help! I would be utterly lost without it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Wedding Planner & Organizer Your Dream Wedding on a Budget: 47 Cost-Cutting Secrets from America S Favorite Wedding Planner The Baby Keepsake Book and Planner The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day