The Last Roundup (Star Trek: The Original Series)

The Last Roundup (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Soon the torch will be passed to a new generation.

But not just yet...

Having saved the Federation one more time in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country®, Capt. James T. Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise™ have finally gone their separate ways. Spock, McCoy, Sulu, and the others are spread out across the galaxy, pursuing their individual destinies -- until an in

Audio Cassette, Abridged, 3 pages
Published July 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published June 25th 2002)

Katharine Holden
David Kaye is a terrible reader. All the men and the narrator have the same voice. Uhura sounds just like the men. Scotty misplaces his accent. No one sounds like the emotion they're supposed to be feeling. David Kaye should find another line of work. As for the novel itself, it's a lackluster plot. Big climactic techno plot point was just not believable. Orion Syndicate is made to look wimpy.
Kim
A method of bridging the gap between The Undiscovered Country and the prologue of Generations, I wasn't wholly satisfied with this book. Christie Golden has written some amazing books for Star Trek in the past (her Dark Matters trilogy is one of my favorites), but I just didn't feel like she had the same grasp of these characters like she does of those for Voyager.

(view spoiler)...more
Michael
The latest Star Trek hardcover novel, "The Last Round-Up" promises to be the "final" adventure of the origianl series crew. However, instead of sending the crew riding off into the sunset in a blaze of glory, we instead get them slumping to the finish line in a novel that is rather derivative of a lot of things you've read before in Trek fiction.

The story starts out with Captain Kirk, teaching classes at the Acadamy, but not fully satisfied with his life now that he's not commanding a starship (...more
Michael
Shane Amazon
Over the past few years I've read a fair share of Christie Golden books, and particularly enjoyed her recent work in the Star Wars franchise. However, this book is probably the worst written book I've read in a while, by any author. For me the book's writing is bland but readable, it's the way the story is told that is its own worst enemy. Golden builds suspenseful story arcs that in the end she just gives up on. Never before have I seen such a lazy execution to a compelling idea.

I don't want to...more
Jonathon Laudinsky
I like Christie Golden, her new Star Trek Voyager relaunch books are excellent...this is her early work, and it shows. I over all liked the novel, and want to see the old crew's last mission. The book leads right into the Star Trek Generations prologue, which is neat. It also contradicts Star Trek Ashes of Eden...which also was the "last mission" of the original crew. Many Trekkies would disagree with me, but I think Ashes of Eden does a better job of Kirks last mission. The two books are simula...more
Relstuart
I feel like I've read better books by Christie Golden. The novel didn't feel like the characters were fully fleshed out with the long history we know about them. I suppose that is a challange to communicate with as much history as there is to keep in mind with writing with these characters.

I usually don't add these books on here but I'm trying to be more complete with my records.
C. Conner
The book was boring, the action scenes ill-conceived. The climax left the reader feeling as is something more should have happened. Not a horrible audiobook, but glad I found a second-hand version rather than buying new.
Mike
Most reader's reviews of this book were like 2 stars, indicating it was weak compared to Goldens other books (predictable story, etc). Bah! I really enjoyed it. I thought she captured Kirk, Spock and Scotty perfectly.
Benjamin Plume
Somehow I missed updating this one when I read it a while ago. I include this in my review only because it says something about the book's quality. Not bad, but not particularly memorable.
Read1000books
1 1/2 stars. One of the poorer ST books I have read. And since it was the last mission of the original crew together, that was a real disappointment.
Scott Williams
This is a quiet little story that bridges the gap between The Undiscovered Country and Generations. It's not excellent but it is entertaining.
JParsons1974 Parsons
285 pages Science fiction Star Trek novel. Lack luster novel. Not a good story.
Greg Lindsay
3.5 Stars, overall a enjoyable story.
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Travis Anderson
Travis Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Fraser Skillen
Fraser Skillen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn...more
More about Christie Golden...
Omen (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #2) Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6) Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2) Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2) Allies (Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi, #5)