Start by marking “The Troll's Grindstone” as Want to Read:
The Troll's Grindstone

The Troll's Grindstone (The Wizard's War #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published June 12th 1986 by Del Rey (first published June 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Troll's Grindstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Troll's Grindstone

Arrow of the Mist by Christina MercerThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Last Dragon Slayer by Martyn Stanley
Magical and Mystical Creatures (Titles ONLY)
344th out of 494 books — 129 voters
Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Literary Fantasy
112th out of 189 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Austin Poulsen
Almost couldn't finish.

There was potential.

There was no execution.

First off, the cover art was barf.

Second, none of the characters were likeable, and I could never quite tell what their motivations were, which was annoying.

Third, the prose was very bland. Nothing was said in an original way. After having just finished a Patrick rothfuss book, the prose here made me cringe.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend.
Erin Davis
Fantastic book. I loved the ties to Viking society. Wonderfully complex characters, and I'm kinda bummed that I don't have the other books in the series.
John Cook
Apr 15, 2013 John Cook rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens or older.
Recommended to John by: Bookshelf at Cole's Bookstore.
This was the first Elizabeth Boyer book I read. I didn't realize at first that it was the first of a series. I am usually not interested in reading series unless they are all completely published. I was hooked from the first chapter. When I finished it, I had to find more of her books. I filled the interim between the trilogy releases with other previously published works.

I would recommend this book and the whole series. The second book was a little weak, in my opinion, but the following books
Mike (the Paladin)
This is another great read from Elizabeth Boyer based in the mythology and folklore of the cold north. They have gone out of print, sad and a shame but if you can find them at a descent price you won't be disappointed. I ran down most anything I could find by her "back when".
Heather
Read this whole series as a teenager and loved it! I've been trying to think of the author's name for at least a month and it finally came to me yesterday!

Medieval fantasy with a Scandinavian setting.
Miriam
I read this years ago and never found the rest of the series (I think this one is not the first installment).
Bradley
Not bad fantasy fare. Most predictable but there are several hidden plot twists.
Bill Lutowski
Bill Lutowski marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
MelMel
MelMel marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Sivagowry
Sivagowry marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Keitorin
Keitorin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Oriol
Oriol marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
  • The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2)
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • Riders of the Winds (Changewinds, #2)
  • The Mountains of Channandran (Winter King's War, #3)
  • Treasures of Fantasy
  • The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • Child of the Grove (Wizard of the Grove, #1)
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • The Unwilling Warlord
  • The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)
  • Gilden-Fire
The Sword and the Satchel (World of the Alfar, #1) The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2) The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart The Wizard and the Warlord The Curse of Slagfid