Start by marking “The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics” as Want to Read:
The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  10 reviews
First developed during WW2, the Trachtenberg speed system makes possible high-speed arithmetical calcula tions with a remarkable degree of accuracy. The system has e ven been known to beat computer calculations - in some insta nces - in terms of speed '
Paperback
Published December 1st 2007 by Souvenir Press (first published 1960)

Be the first to ask a question about The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

Michael
I'm a math major in school. I'll be applying to graduate school for math in a few months. I'm taking the General GRE in a couple weeks and the Math Subject GRE not long after. So, to help me prepare I bought a few books on... arithmetic?

Yes. See, I have a problem. I screw up arithmetic constantly. I have actually written the following on a Calculus test: "6 + 3 = 8." Usually I'm not quite that bad, but when adding/multiplying large numbers, chances are extremely high I will make a mistake.

So I...more
Richard Craig
Dec 24, 2010 Richard Craig rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: science, text-book
If you or perhaps your child,has difficulty with mathematics,the Trachtenberg system is well worth a try.
Trachtenberg developed a clever system of mental mathematics and arithmetic whilst he was being held as a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.Trachtenberg was an outspoken pacifist and openly condemned Hitler and the Nazi regime.
The Trachtenberg method is not only speedy but simple.There are no multiplication tables and no long division as we know it.To add long columns of numbers we need n...more
Priyank
Simplified techniques to solve the basic day-to-day mathematical problems. Very good book to read at an early stage to get a glimpse of the magic of arithmetic!!!

Although most of the methods need some practice to get a hand-on, some methods are very natural, that we might be doing without consciously knowing about it.
Hilary
Genius book! Trachtenberg devised a new system of teaching mathematics while incarcerated in a Nazi concentration camp -- true story! The system works! It is more efficient, effective, and accurate than anything else I have ever seen. This approach should be used in every public school!
voong
Jul 17, 2012 voong marked it as gave-up-on
I bought the book on impulse, as it looked promising, but never did finish reading it. The new system appears rather interesting, but (from what I can gather) it seems to require more effort than it is worth. Maybe I'm wrong; one day I'll take a second go at it.
Michelle Ye
Very interesting, somewhat useful. Seems like the authors exaggerate the benefits of the system though. Explanations of the methods are very thorough. A fun read. Lots of cool arithmetic tricks.
Adrian Goh
Didn't really find the system effective or quick. Neither did I find it intuitive. The traditional system was more intuitive and more efficient it seems.
Yingtai
I know it was not part of the brief of this book, but I really would have liked to know why these methods work.
Mazhar Shakeel
best one
Pandu Reddy
Flintlock
Flintlock marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Sep 14, 2014
nxsc
nxsc marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Alexander Krasnukhin
Alexander Krasnukhin marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Eric
Eric added it
Aug 21, 2014
Rohan
Rohan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jorge
Jorge added it
Aug 05, 2014
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Seyi Ogunyemi
Seyi Ogunyemi marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Miriam
Miriam added it
Jul 28, 2014
Arvind
Arvind marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Vimal Rajaseharan
Vimal Rajaseharan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Y.s.subramanya
Y.s.subramanya marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
The late Jakow Trachtenberg, founder of the Mathematical Institute in Zurich, Switzerland, and originator of the startling new system of arithmetic, was of firm opinion that everyone comes into the world with 'phenomenal calculation possibilities.'

Trachtenberg married Countess Alice, a member of the [German] aristocracy. An outspoken pacifist, Trachtenberg wrote Das Friedensministerium, a widely r...more
More about Jakow Trachtenberg...
Speed System of Basic Mathematics