Start by marking “The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics” as Want to Read:
The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

First developed during WW2, the Trachtenberg speed system makes possible high-speed arithmetical calcula tions with a remarkable degree of accuracy. The system has e ven been known to beat computer calculations - in some insta nces - in terms of speed '
Paperback
Published December 1st 2007 by Souvenir Press (first published 1960)

Be the first to ask a question about The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics

Michael
Jun 10, 2009 Michael rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm a math major in school. I'll be applying to graduate school for math in a few months. I'm taking the General GRE in a couple weeks and the Math Subject GRE not long after. So, to help me prepare I bought a few books on... arithmetic?

Yes. See, I have a problem. I screw up arithmetic constantly. I have actually written the following on a Calculus test: "6 + 3 = 8." Usually I'm not quite that bad, but when adding/multiplying large numbers, chances are extremely high I will make a mistake.

So I
Richard Craig
Dec 24, 2010 Richard Craig rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: science, text-book
If you or perhaps your child,has difficulty with mathematics,the Trachtenberg system is well worth a try.
Trachtenberg developed a clever system of mental mathematics and arithmetic whilst he was being held as a prisoner in a Nazi concentration camp.Trachtenberg was an outspoken pacifist and openly condemned Hitler and the Nazi regime.
The Trachtenberg method is not only speedy but simple.There are no multiplication tables and no long division as we know it.To add long columns of numbers we need n
Mainak Jas
Dec 30, 2016 Mainak Jas rated it it was amazing
I read this book long ago (more than 10 years ...). Yet, it is still crystal clear in my head as if it was yesterday. What I really love about this book is not just the methods but the fact that the author offers proofs in the book's appendices. This is in sharp contrast to many books on Vedic mathematics which also dealt with speed mathematics, but the reader is left to trust the author without any proofs. The techniques themselves are rather ingenious. He not only offers methods to compute the ...more
Smallllama
Jun 19, 2016 Smallllama rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. This man should have universities and cities and libraries named after him. Nonetheless, I would not give this book to a child. Its methods could greatly speed up the child but, until a person is sophisticated enough to understand what is going on behind the scenes and WHY these things work, learning to do math this way provides a weak foundation for learning higher concepts. This system's weakness is that it makes math seem like mystical powers.
Priyank
Jul 16, 2013 Priyank rated it really liked it
Simplified techniques to solve the basic day-to-day mathematical problems. Very good book to read at an early stage to get a glimpse of the magic of arithmetic!!!

Although most of the methods need some practice to get a hand-on, some methods are very natural, that we might be doing without consciously knowing about it.
Hilary
Feb 25, 2009 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Genius book! Trachtenberg devised a new system of teaching mathematics while incarcerated in a Nazi concentration camp -- true story! The system works! It is more efficient, effective, and accurate than anything else I have ever seen. This approach should be used in every public school!
voong
Mar 22, 2012 voong marked it as abandoned
Shelves: nonfic-sciences
I bought the book on impulse, as it looked promising, but never did finish reading it. The new system appears rather interesting, but (from what I can gather) it seems to require more effort than it is worth. Maybe I'm wrong; one day I'll take a second go at it.
Michelle
Sep 03, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Very interesting, somewhat useful. Seems like the authors exaggerate the benefits of the system though. Explanations of the methods are very thorough. A fun read. Lots of cool arithmetic tricks.
Tushar Gargava
Jan 21, 2016 Tushar Gargava rated it liked it
I'll re-read it. But in one read, it seems more complicated than what I'd expected it to be. Maybe once I start working on the methods mentioned, I might understand the significance of it better?
Yingtai
I know it was not part of the brief of this book, but I really would have liked to know why these methods work.
Adrian Goh
Nov 02, 2012 Adrian Goh rated it did not like it
Shelves: math-and-science
Didn't really find the system effective or quick. Neither did I find it intuitive. The traditional system was more intuitive and more efficient it seems.
M Kashif
M Kashif rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Shirley Apley
Shirley Apley rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2009
Shantanu
Shantanu rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Dumbfox
Dumbfox rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2014
Nikhil Rathod
Nikhil Rathod rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2017
William G
William G rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Pandu Reddy
Sep 12, 2013 Pandu Reddy rated it it was ok
Genevieve Morgan
Genevieve Morgan rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Garry
Garry rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Claus
Claus rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Christina Beveridge
Christina Beveridge rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Thérèse
Thérèse rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Nor Mazrah
Nor Mazrah rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Neelesh
Neelesh rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Alex Frost
Alex Frost rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Mazhar Shakeel
Jul 16, 2013 Mazhar Shakeel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fs
best one
Michael R.
Michael R. rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Camilasc
Camilasc rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
EXTENSION TO TRACHTENBERG SYSTEM 1 4 Feb 05, 2015 11:10PM
  • How to Calculate Quickly: Full Course in Speed Arithmetic
  • Calculus: A Complete Course
  • Solving Mathematical Problems: A Personal Perspective
  • Math Magic: The Human Calculator Shows How to Master Everyday Math Problems in Seconds
  • Michael Schumacher
  • 50 Mathematical Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
  • Uncovering the Logic of English
  • Power Reading: The Best, Fastest, Easiest, Most Effective Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed: The Fastest, Best, Easiest Course on Speedreading and Comprehension Ever Developed!
  • Miracle Math: How to Develop a Calculator in Your Head
  • Unknown Quantity: A Real and Imaginary History of Algebra
  • The Science of Everyday Life: Why Teapots Dribble, Toast Burns and Light Bulbs Shine
  • Use Your Perfect Memory: Dramatic New Techniques for Improving Your Memory
  • In Search of the Edge of Time: Black Holes, White Holes, Wormholes
  • Schaum's Outline of Differential Equations
  • Dynamics of Software Development
  • The Pleasures of Counting
  • Short-Cut Math
The late Jakow Trachtenberg, founder of the Mathematical Institute in Zurich, Switzerland, and originator of the startling new system of arithmetic, was of firm opinion that everyone comes into the world with 'phenomenal calculation possibilities.'

Trachtenberg married Countess Alice, a member of the [German] aristocracy. An outspoken pacifist, Trachtenberg wrote Das Friedensministerium, a widely r
More about Jakow Trachtenberg...