Start by marking “Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,654 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A book whose sales have not diminished but rather increased dramatically since its publication 45 years ago, this bestselling classic is the ultimate manual of drawing taught by the late Robert Beverly Hale, who’s famed lectures and classes at New York City’s Art Student League captivated artists and art educators from around the world.

Faithfully producing and methodically
Published August 1st 1989 by Watson-Guptill (first published June 1964)

Parka
Dec 04, 2012 Parka rated it it was amazing

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

Drawing Lessons From the Great Masters is an art book that teaches by looking at the art fundamentals used by great art masters themselves — Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Rodin, Goya, Rembrandt, among others.

There are 100 master drawings analysed by Robert Beverly Hale on the fundamentals such as line, light and planes, mass, position and thrust, and anatomy. These are all figure drawings. Each illustration is printed full on one page with a certain section s
Martha Smith
Jul 05, 2014 Martha Smith rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
As a student of art and art history, I was disappointed in how few photographs and drawings the book contained. There were a few illustrations. The title of the book was misleading. I would have like to have seen multiple drawings in color by the masters. As a student it helps to see examples of art principles clearly demonstrated. I feel this book missed the mark. I have read numerous books that did a better job of illustrating the principals in art. Therefore, this book was not that helpful to ...more
Justin
Apr 06, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing
Wow, a master class in the fundamentals and application of drawing with examples from the World's great masters.

Learning to Draw, Line, Light and Planes, Mass, Position Thrust or Direction, Artistic Anatomy, and Driving all the Horses at Once.
Rachel Ramm
Dec 21, 2012 Rachel Ramm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a very helpful guide on drawing and I learned much about how to approach my own drawing studies. It includes drawings in various stages of finish from a wide variety of Greats such as da Vinci, Durer, Titian, Rembrandt, Degas, and many more. Full page illustrations were each followed with an analysis by Robert Beverly Hale complete with a smaller version of the artwork, labeled for easy reference.

The forward is by Jacob Collins, one of the leading realist artists working today. He foun
Ray
Oct 18, 2015 Ray rated it it was amazing
The author shows how the great artists created the illusion of three dimensions on a two dimensional surface with their drawings. This is a great book for not only art students but those who want to appreciate art more.
Kevin de Ataíde
Nov 06, 2012 Kevin de Ataíde rated it really liked it
A very basic primer in drawing based on classical techniques and the work of the great masters, usually the post-Renaissance Italian masters. The material is very basic, going through the primaries of line, form, shade and structures, but the real gold is the simplified analysis of master drawings. An interesting book and worth a look through. Four stars, not five.
Michelle
Jul 25, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-instruction
I am still going through this book, but I absolutely love the in-depth analysis and tips and advice for the artists. Ever since I got a glimpse of Robert Beverly Hale's lectures, I knew he was a gold mind of information. A pity that he passed away.
Jessica
Sep 04, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Mine copy is worn and loved. Even if you have been doing art for quite some time, there is so much to learn by studying the works in this book. I think ever visual artist should keep a copy and experiment with it.
Annie
Mar 15, 2008 Annie rated it it was ok
Shelves: artdrawing
It has a good basic over view of everything ones needs to know for the basics of drawing. But I dont think it breaks the steps down well enough or analyze each area but it also does give good examples of artwork.
Makingamark
Sep 19, 2011 Makingamark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those wanting to develop advanced drawing skills
One of the standard "must have" books for people wanting to understand more about classical drawing and what the drawings of the great artists looked like
HELLO
Jun 02, 2012 HELLO rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
must read for artists and aspiring artists alike. contained within is a lifetime's worth of artistic wisdom and 100 plates to copy and practice from
Luc
Aug 18, 2013 Luc added it
Shelves: likes
If you're going to explore all the possibilities, I recommend that you learn from the best.
Michael Mentler
Apr 13, 2013 Michael Mentler rated it it was amazing
Classic... Read it a least 6 times! Reading it again now... New meaning with each reading
Apryl Anderson
Aug 22, 2011 Apryl Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves:
I'm not keen on the text, but the reproductions are excellent.
RLance Garcia
Mar 21, 2010 RLance Garcia rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. Brilliant.
Jedkimball
Great introduction to figure drawing concepts
Pedro Balduino
Pedro Balduino marked it as to-read
Beanlee
Beanlee marked it as to-read
Micaella De
Micaella De rated it really liked it
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Aasif Afzal
Aasif Afzal marked it as to-read
Mortimer Mcpherson
Mortimer Mcpherson marked it as to-read
Myra
Myra marked it as to-read
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Koby Flores
Koby Flores rated it it was ok
Carmela Porral Chang
Carmela Porral Chang rated it it was amazing
Valerie McKay-Harvey
Valerie McKay-Harvey rated it it was amazing
Sahar Elkady
Sahar Elkady rated it it was ok
Minahil
Minahil rated it really liked it
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
  • How to Draw What You See
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Fun with a Pencil
  • Sketch Book for the Artist
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting (Mastering (North Light Books))
  • Figure Drawing Without a Model

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »