Start by marking “The Way of the Master” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Master

The Way of the Master

"The Way of the Master" is the flagship work of Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron's organization. It anchors their television program, radio program, and website. Considered by many to be the definitive text in evangelism, this book is coming to Bridge-Logos to be updated, expanded, and illustrated with photographs for Spring 2006 release. It's an anecdotal, loaded with comment ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Bridge-Logos (first published February 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Master

D.I. Telbat
Mar 03, 2012 D.I. Telbat rated it it was amazing
The subject matter: This impressive and inspiring book teaches how to accurately and biblically witness to the unsaved. The Master at witnessing was, of course, Jesus Christ. This book stresses the use of the Ten Commandments while sharing the gospel message, leaving the conviction work to the Holy Spirit and the choice in the sinner's life.

What I especially liked: I've seen the television programs by the same title, but the book was much more helpful. What I found most useful as teaching tools
Jeffrey
Aug 03, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Quite honestly a must read for every Christian. It will change the way you view the significance of the Gospel message. It will change you as only God can.
Clint Mccain
Aug 28, 2010 Clint Mccain rated it it was amazing
After initially hearing Kirk Cameron's presentation of "Hell's Best Kept Secret," I eventually read this book & was changed by it; I heartily recommend it!
Adam K.
Jul 11, 2010 Adam K. rated it did not like it
falsehood. I am frightened that impressionable believers will read this book and question their salvation and that of others as well as put themselves back under the shroud of legalism. This is wrong. Granted, I didn't finish it, but when I got to about page 80 and Comfort implies that you'll know false converts because they sometimes act selfishly, I realized that he was saying that most of us, then, including myself, are going to hell when I was actually under the impression that I accepted Ch ...more
Neil McKinlay
Jun 28, 2012 Neil McKinlay rated it really liked it
The Way of the Master. I recommend this particular book of Comfort!

Ray Comfort, with helpful comments by Kirk Cameron, takes head on the "Easy Believism" movement that has been distorting the Gospel. (See my own book review of John Bevere's Driven By Eternity for related subject matter).

Comfort and Cameron want Christians to use God's Law - properly. No more of the "Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life..." stuff. No! Though they don't state it as such, it's back to the Biblical
Janelle
The Way of the Master is a short book about how to be an effective evangelist. Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort take their readers through numerous of steps to show this. For example, Cameron and Comfort uses the "speak directly to the conscious" method; first they would use an ice breaker to start a conversation, "Hello, do you mind playing a game.....do you consider yourself a good person?...have you ever lied before?..well what would you call someone that lies?" By going through these steps the l ...more
Julie
Sep 04, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
This book was so amazing. I have never heard the salvation message delivered this way before. it was so powerful. I had no idea there were so many false converts in christianity simply because they didn't know the way true way to heaven. It gives you so much insight into God, and what he expects from us. i felt so convicted, and at the same time so full of love for him. I see my sins in a new light, and will be forever changed by this book. God is amazing, and his forgiveness is there when we ar ...more
Luis Villasenor
Oct 04, 2009 Luis Villasenor rated it really liked it
If you ever had a question about how to what the Bible said about how to witness to an unbeliever, this is the book. This book comes with a cd. This book will change the way you witness!!!
Justin
Jun 18, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
This was the most powerful and convicting book of evangelism that I have ever read.
This book should be read by every person on the planet.
Nancy
Jul 10, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it
Candace Cameron Bure mentions this book in her convocation address at Liberty University (which I saw on youtube), so I decided to check it out. I am really glad I did, because I enjoyed it and greatly appreciate the message. The main theme is the issue of today's evangelists focusing only on God's grace but neglecting to stress the importance of the LAW, i.e., Joel Osteen and most megachurches. Ray Comfort does a great job of writing in a simple, convincing, heartfelt style and his sincerity an ...more
Megan
Mar 02, 2014 Megan rated it did not like it
No no no no no. This is an instruction book from the foundation of the abuse of Holy Scripture. It corrupts the Gospel with formulaic, legalistic, dogmatic praise. It was a struggle to complete this material for my seminary course list. Though it is regarded as necessary material by many, I find it turgid and rather "American".
Dave Jones
Oct 26, 2010 Dave Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
One of the best books on evangelism I have ever read.
Evangelist Michael
Aug 29, 2012 Evangelist Michael rated it it was amazing
A must read for all those that call themselves Christians.
Miamibaby13
Feb 28, 2012 Miamibaby13 rated it it was amazing
Best book I ever read. A read eye opener
Amy
Jul 20, 2010 Amy rated it it was amazing
Want to know how to evangelize? READ THIS BOOK.
Susan Hillard
Sep 14, 2011 Susan Hillard rated it it was amazing
Wonderful informative eye opening book!
Ann Scott
Sep 08, 2011 Ann Scott rated it it was amazing
Great witnessing tool!!
Julie
May 01, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
The basic idea is that, as Christians, we tend to over-emphasize God's grace and under-emphasize God's law when speaking to the lost. Romans tells us that the purpose of the law is to convict people of their sin, so when we don't mention the law, we end up with people who become Christians because they want the "wonderful life" we told them all about when they should seek grace out of fear of eternal damnation...

This book really got me thinking if nothing else... For the first 8 or so chapters I
Mar 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
This is a good book to learn more about evangelism. It's great that the author advocates using the Ten Commandments to bring people to Christ, because then people will know that they are sinners. However, the way Comfort describes it, he makes it sound easier than it really is to bring someone to Christ. If it is so easy, then we would not need to disciple believers and show them what Christian life is all about. He has a good approach, but did not really develop the idea of evangelism enough.

Fa
Heather Richmond
What a wonderfully refreshing technique for sharing the gospel! Jesus did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill it! The Law exposes sin and shows our deep need for a Savior! God extends grace and mercy to sinners by sending His Son to pay OUR sin penalty. What a glorious gift He has offered us! Oh, that all would come to know Him!
Michael Mechsner
Faithful Repentance

The Church needs to reclaim the first use of the Law - to bring the sinner to repentance. Faithful confession, accountability, and absolution need to be brought back into the Church!
Oct 03, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This needs to be read by everyone who claims to be a Christian! Not only does it remind us to see our sin for what it truly is: disgusting and able to send us to hell, but it also shows us how to share our faith Biblically the way Jesus did. As Christians we are not called to live comfortably, we are called to reach out and take hold of those who are perishing. Using the 10 commandments before you show people what God did for them, is vital! It shows them their desperate state and then the cross ...more
Donna Goetter
What a great book. The Bible is number one and this book #2.
Jeremiah
Nov 25, 2014 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
Very convicting and persuasive book, must read for today's christian.
Job Dalomba
Read this years ago and found it helpful. Much of it still is.
Natasha
Jun 16, 2015 Natasha rated it liked it
This was a very difficult/heavy read but it was a major eye-opener and I think will be very helpful when witnessing to others to make sure you are doing so in a Biblical way. Many churches today preach on God's wonderful plan for your life...but I don't think as many of those churches preach on God's law and the importance of confessing our sins and in truly understanding WHY we need Jesus to save us. Many important messages in here.
Dave Moore
Jun 12, 2013 Dave Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Dave by: Ray Comfort/Kirk Cameron
A great teaching tool on how to talk to people about Jesus Christ. This book shows us how to use the 10 Commandments to help people to see their sinful and lost condition, and their need for a Savior. I learned a lot and would recommend this book to all Christians. I will be re-reading it.
Jess
Oct 02, 2014 Jess rated it it was amazing
Not only does this book show you a clear and correct way to point someone to Christ, but it gives you a sense of urgency to share with those who don't know Him as Savior and Lord. This is one book I will probably pick up and read parts of again and again.
Stacy
Jan 08, 2009 Stacy rated it it was amazing
At a different time in my spiritual walk, Comfort's book may not have earned 5 stars. But in my current state of fighting complecancy, His challenge to replace the thinking of "What Would Jesus Do?" and replace it with "What Did Jesus Do?" was what I needed.
Aaron Loy
Dec 19, 2014 Aaron Loy rated it really liked it
A great book on evangelism. It really breaks down our own depravity to believers and unbelievers alike in a very simplified way. Definitely recommended for those who don't have much experience sharing their faith with others.
  • One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • Charismatic Chaos
  • Revolution in World Missions
  • Already Compromised
  • Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • The God Makers: A Shocking Expose of What the Mormon Church Really Believes
  • Evangelicalism Divided: A Record of Crucial Change in the Years 1950 to 2000
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
  • Romans
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and a Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • Major Bible Themes: 52 Vital Doctrines of the Scriptures Simplified and Explained
Ray Comfort is a Christian.
He is also the founder of Living Waters Publications. After relocating from New Zealand to Southern California in the late 1980s, Ray introduced a long line of pastors and churches to a biblical teaching which he called Hell's Best Kept Secret. From humble beginnings, Living Waters has become an internationally recognized ministry, reaching the lost and equipping Christi
More about Ray Comfort...

“In Mark 10:17-21, a man came running to Jesus, knelt before Him, and asked how he could obtain everlasting life. It would seem that his earnest and humble heart made him a prime candidate as a potential convert. Yet Jesus didn’t give him the message of God’s grace. He didn’t even mention the love of God. Neither did He tell him of an abundant, wonderful new life. Instead, Jesus used the Law of God to expose the man’s hidden sin. This man was a transgressor of the first of the Ten Commandments. His money was his god, and one cannot serve both God and money. Then the Scriptures reveal that it was love that motivated Jesus to speak in this way to this rich young man.” 0 likes