Start by marking “Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter” as Want to Read:
Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  5,418 ratings  ·  79 reviews
There's a centuries-old trove of true history, folklore, and mythology behind Harry Potter's fantastic universe. Now back in time for the November 2002 release of the Warner Bros. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, his zillions of fans can school themselves in the fascinating reality that inspired J. K. Rowling, to learn more about the magical practices, creatures, a ...more
Library Binding, 0 pages
Published September 18th 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sorcerer's Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorcerer's Companion

Titty
YOU GUYS, I LOVE THIS BOOK!
As you may know (or may not know), I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter so when this book came out I immediately bought it.I think I didn't even know what it was about!
It was so interesting for me to read about mythical creatures, Harry Potter-related school subjects and magical objects.I even forced my friends to buy it so we could pretend that we were students at Hogwarts (don't blame me, I was only 12, I think).
It's truly a very fascinating read and whenever I
Lula
Feb 05, 2012 Lula rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lula by: Magali
Shelves: mythology
This it's a really good book that sums up all the mythology we can found in Harry Potter's book. It's really interesting.
Erika
A well researched compilation of different cultures' lore on creatures, characters and practices mentioned on the Harry Potter series. I read this book for the first time almost ten years ago and it was a nice, friendly introduction to folklore and interesting historical information on how magic was regarded in past times, all this with illustrations to aid younger readers get a better idea of what the text is referring to. I reread this book after all these years and I still find it enjoyable, ...more
PurplyCookie
Harry Potter's fantastic world of magic has its roots in true history, mythology, and folklore; father-daughter team Allan Zola Kronzek and Elizabeth Kronzek have now made this wealth of astonishing information available to Muggles in their "A Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter". From astrology to Grindylow to reading tea leaves to witch persecution, this fascinating volume gets to the bottom of every magical mystery connected with Hogwarts.

It's an invaluable com
Crystal
I am a Harry Potter geek. Get over it. I love those books and I love this one because it's really really cool. And I'm equally cool for having read it. If you think otherwise, I suspect it's jealousy and I forgive you.
Miss Abernathy
Recuerdo tener 11 años y haber suplicado a mi padre que comprara este libro porque hacía referencias a Harry Potter.

Cuando lo tuve en mis manos lo devoré prácticamente, lo leía una y otra vez.
Christian Brown
This book looks at the world of magic from a educational perspective framed in the world of Harry Potter. It gives the historical background for many of the things in the Harry Potter world in a brief, encyclopedic way. It gets 3 stars simply because it barely scratches the surface, but, for a person with simply a cursory interest in the magical world, it is a very useful and educational book.
Particle_Person
While not actually a horrible book, this didn't contain many facts that I didn't know already. I suppose it depends on who the book is read by — I might have gotten more from it at age 12 than at age 28 (when I read it a bunch of years ago). If you're reasonably fluent in mythology and so forth, you won't learn much.
Tessa
Another library whim . . . as immersed as we are in the world of HP right now! I even find myself intrigued by the HP-land at Disney World! I blew through this book pretty quickly as it was easy to skim like an encyclopedia. Very enjoyable!
Angélica
Very informative and interesting. This got me even more interested in Harry Potter, and helped introduce me to myths, legends, and fairy tales from other countries (I read an earlier edition when I was in first year high school).
Anna xayavongsa
In harry potter and the sorcerer's stone,harry an orphan, lives with the dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and thier abominable son, dudley. harry potter series is about fantasy that use a lot of magic, i like to watch and read this movie very much,when i read i feeling enjoy. one day just before this eleventh birthdays an owl tries to deliver a mysterious letter, the first of event of sequence of events that end in harry meeting a giant man named hagrid. hagrid explains harry's history to ...more
Valentina
i have this book since i was little and just recently i reopen it and look at it, and it gave me a lot of nostalgia: it's very helpful for understanding the backstory of the saga of harry potter and the tales of the wizarding world, because there are explanations of every beasts, spells and magical stories. this is ceirtanly one book that could help some very young reader of the firsts books of the j.k. rowling's saga to understand in a better way this magical world.
Carly
This book is so fun! I got a signed copy as a birthday gift when I was a kid and loved it. It gives you tons of information about a lot of the creatures and concepts in the Harry Potter books. Great illustrations. You can also use it to do a few "spells" of your own! My sister and I used to love to do tea leaf reading based on the examples in this book. A great read for the Harry Potter fan in your life.
Nicholas Doran
Seeing as this book was not optioned nor produced by J.K. Rowling, I was hesitant to attain it. But I was thoroughly glad I did for it does give insight into the magical world behind Harry Potter. Although it does not emit the charm Rowling's writing does, it's still very enjoyable. Definitely get this if you enjoyed the HP series.
Nina
If you liked the Harry Potter series, this book is a beautiful insight in how the world of magic is connected to our own; through history, legends and cultures... A sort of a scientific view on creatures and notions throughout the first four books of Harry Potter series.
Natalia Coronado
Que manera más bonita de regresar en el tiempo y recordar a todas esas criaturas que en alguno momento nos emocionaron y nos hicieron investigar un poco más sobre ellas, en este libro se aprenden muchísimas cosas pero es ese hecho el que hace que las entradas se tornen un poco largas, lo que me hizo dudar en la calificación, las entradas se tornan repetitivas y eso me desanimo un poco, pero las imágenes y la calidad de la edición es hermosa.
Ayelén Glasswen
Es bastante divertido para prestar atención a detalles interesantes que durante la trama pueden pasar desapercibidos.
The best thing about this book by far was its collection of strange beliefs that people have had and customs they have observed. For instance, it was thought that church bells would prevent witches from flying. At least one town in Germany ordered all churches to constantly ring their bells from dusk to dawn to prevent witches from flying then.

At first, I was a little bummed that there wasn't more about the origins of the Harry Potter character names (because the book has the most entries about
Evanille
Me sirve mucho de referencia para cuando escribo fantasia
Geneviève Decock
Hm, I love Harry Potter, but I don't really like this book.
Marijo Alvarez
:D Genial para entender todo este mundo!
Karla
Mucha información sobre criaturas mágicas!!!
Maca Contreras
Mi ultimo libro del año <3
Jess
This was definitely designed as a reference book. Since I borrowed it from the library, I didn't have the luxury of reading it as such. It bothered me that the authors stated legends as facts, but it was interesting to see some of the legends behind JK Rowling's series. I'm sure there are better books out there with the same purpose, though.
Omly
While I was fairly familiar with the background of the traditional mystical and mythological figures and practices Rowling drew from when she wrote the Harry Potter series, I could see this as interesting for someone who liked the novels, but was unfamiliar with them. Having said that, I wasn't surprised by anything in here, but was mildly amused at how the authors kept trying to pull HP references in to remind you that this was supposed to be appealing to that audience.
Lizzie
Aug 29, 2013 Lizzie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
I LOVE this book! I am a huge fan of Harry Potter and this book is a perfect way to learn about the history behind the magical things that J.K. Rowling did not make up. It is well written and very informative. The sections on Hippogriffs and Dark Magic are particularly fascinating. I would recommend this to any harry potter fan.
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
It was interesting and mildly informative, but next time I get a non-fiction book about Harry Potter, I'd like it to be more about Harry Potter. Also I'd prefer to get one written by a non-American author because it always bugs me to read "Sorcerer" instead of "Philosopher" and etc.
  • Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter: Analysis of Books 1-4
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • The End of Harry Potter?
  • Harry Potter and History
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter
  • The Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy: Hogwarts for Muggles
The Secrets of Alkazar: A Book of Magic 52 Ways to Cheat at Poker: How to Spot Them, Foil Them, and Defend Yourself Against Them