Start by marking “Permissions, A Survival Guide: Blunt Talk about Art as Intellectual Property” as Want to Read:
Permissions, A Survival Guide: Blunt Talk about Art as Intellectual Property

Permissions, A Survival Guide: Blunt Talk about Art as Intellectual Property

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then it's a good bet that at least half of those words relate to the picture's copyright status. Art historians, artists, and anyone who wants to use the images of others will find themselves awash in byzantine legal terms, constantly evolving copyright law, varying interpretations by museums and estates, and despair over the complex ...more
Published June 23rd 2006 by University Of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about Permissions, A Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Permissions, A Survival Guide

Nov 18, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this book highly enough to all non-fiction authors. Not only does it give sound, practical advice on how to acquire rights to reproduce images in printed works, and carefully tackles the difference between copyright permissions and "use" permissions, it also answers all those "what if" questions everyone attempting to find the right illustrations or photographs to accompany their text grapples with. What if I just sneak into a museum and take my own pictures? What if I just sca ...more
Mar 03, 2016 Spotsalots added it
Shelves: art, reference
A valuable, and fortunately also entertaining, guide to the generally painful and expensive process of clearing image rights for publication. Last year CAA came out with a statement on Fair Use, which I read before this book and provides something of an update on the problem, having surveyed and interviewed numerous people in the field. And yes, many of us have taken to working on topics that don't require many images, which is a curious turn for art historians to take. When publishers now expec ...more
Aug 31, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, thoughts
Bielstein is an executive editor for art publications at a university publishers and approaches the question permissions from the point of publishing images of works of art in academic books (scholarly works).

She starts by covering what copyright, and public domain is (which takes some explaining with American copyright law) and what the current state of play is in regards to obtaining permissions from copyright owners and those who own artworks which are now public domain.

The very small margin
Jun 19, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: aprm
for museum archives.

So, this is actually really interesting. The cost of doing business when writing art books is much, much higher than I thought - prohibitively so, really, which means that entire industry is in danger of disappearing. Call me crazy, but I don't think it should cost the author hundreds of dollars to print an image of a 400-year-old painting. Also, museums calling copyright on works that are actually in the public domain is ridiculous.

Recommended for: librarians, archivists
Christy Grant Glaze
Sep 10, 2014 Christy Grant Glaze rated it really liked it
A good intro without too much boring detail. Well written and actually quite pleasant to read.
Jan 29, 2010 Cara rated it really liked it
Bielstein does a great job of exporing copyright issues in the world of art publishing. Her writing style is conversational and she employs a fair amount of humor. My favorite part was her inclusion of captions for each photo in the book, along with how much she had to pay for the rights to display it on the page. At the end she gives a summary of her total copyrights and fees cost, and it's a pretty astounding number.
Apr 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Bielstein gets five stars from me for writing clearly about copyright. Usually, just seeing these letters in this order: c-o-p-y-r-i-g-h-t is enough to give me a headache. Bielstein not only prevents the headache, but generates understanding. My intellectual hat is off to her!
Sep 12, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
My criteria for giving this 4 stars were quite a bit different than for my normal fiction fare. I read this in preparation for a talk I'm giving at work on art and copyright. For the subject matter, it was extremely readable as well as informative.
Mar 02, 2008 Martha rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: writers wanting to input art work images into their work
Recommended to Martha by: Grad school reading
Shelves: non-fiction
Required reading for school but interesting information which was sprinkeled throughout with very funny & sometimes absourd stories of how people or property owners dealt with copyright issues in the art world.
Sep 14, 2009 Mira rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, witty and informative. Oddly enough, for such a dull subject (that I had to learn more about for professional reasons), this was a great read!
Margot Note
Entertaining read about intellectual property; the most straight-forward explanation of art reproduction and publishing I've ever read.
Oct 24, 2013 Molly rated it it was amazing
A excellent source, to be read and re-read. Now when will a new edition come out?
Jun 02, 2011 R. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A little outdated but still mind-bending.
Jul 06, 2007 Lucy rated it really liked it
Quite a fun read.
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Brad marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Christian Winting
Christian Winting marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Smeadows marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Shelley Carr
Shelley Carr marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Whitney marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Lily Morgan
Lily Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Brittney marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Sierra D.
Sierra D. marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Jon Wesick
Jon Wesick rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Sara G.
Sara G. marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Margaret Vaughan
Margaret Vaughan rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Jessica Yoder
Jessica Yoder rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015