Start by marking “The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life” as Want to Read:
The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life

Every Character Has a Voice

Point of view isn't just an element of storytelling–when chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readers–persuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their t
Published March 11th 2008 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Point of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Point of View

Alicia Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 Alicia Rasley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this, and would be glad to talk about it. My blog about writing and editing is http://www.edittorrent.blogspot.com, so meet me there! Also lots of my articles about writing are archived at www.rasley.com.
Thanks.

Alicia
Felipe Lerma
Aug 14, 2015 Felipe Lerma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding my creativity as levels within one point of view.

I'd read and thought about this book for several months, pretty much thinking it was "4 stars" for not having enough examples to get it's ideas about pov across well enough for me to consciously apply them.

Then very recently, pondering over a rare negative but constructive review of one of my fiction pieces, I think I finally got it.

One of the complaints was about some of the language (esp expressive thoughts and perceptions) being o
Jasmina
Dec 10, 2013 Jasmina rated it it was amazing
I’ll tell you how much I like this book:

Someone enters my study with his jolly stride and rosy cheeks, his summer curls bouncing around a friendly face. He asks if he could have a look at THE book.

I look at him and leave my work on the side. I’m knitting a sweater. Without taking my eyes off him I stand up. Slowly. I stand now stone-hearted, my hands are on the sides, ready. The small trembles of my fingers are the only movement of my body. I hold my breath.

Suddenly, with the speed of a crazy co
Katherine Trail
Sep 27, 2015 Katherine Trail rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. I'm a fiction editor, working mainly with self-publishing authors, and I ALWAYS recommend this book to clients. It's extremely comprehensive, but doesn't fall into the trap of being dry or dull. If you're interested in writing fiction, I'd strongly recommend reading this book first. Even if you are an experienced writer, I bet you will learn something from it!
Diana Green
Sep 21, 2015 Diana Green rated it it was amazing
This was one of the better writing books I've encountered. The author knows her stuff and brought a lot of depth and insight to the subject. I am sure this will help me with my own writing.
Bill
Apr 18, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-how-to
One Person’s Point of View.

Rasley, Alicia. (2008). The Power of Point of View. Cincinnati, OH: Writer’s Digest Books.

When people hear or read a story, they want to know two things: What happens? And they want to know, Who is telling the story? That second question concerns point of view. If somebody is telling you a tale, whether around a campfire or over a cup of tea, it is important to know who this stoyteller is, what their attitudes are, and how they came to know of the events reported. In a
Nancy Butts
May 08, 2013 Nancy Butts rated it really liked it
This is the second time I've read this, and I think it's the best book available on viewpoint for writers. Rasley parses POV in a way I've never seen before. For example, she divides omniscient narration into three categories: objective, classical omniscient, and contemporary omniscient—all of which are different from distant third. Interesting. I don't always agree with her, especially in her application of voice and viewpoint to children's books. [Though I love the Narnia chronicles, I most em ...more
Bart
Jun 05, 2015 Bart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-craft
This is probably the best book on the craft that I've read so far. It takes one subject, POV, and tells you everything you need to know about it. It shows what POV is, and what kinds of POV there are. It shows, for every kind of POV, what the advantages and disadvantages are of using that kind of POV, the dangers of using that kind of POV and gives several tips for writing in that kind of POV. All this is done in a very clear way with many great examples.
Most of all, this book makes clear that
Dana
Jul 02, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a group member when I posted a thread on multiple points of view and I'm glad I took up his suggestion. Well-written and comprehensive, "The Power of Point of View" covers the basics right through to the intricacies of "voice". As I'm currently writing a novel from a multiple of view, I found the last section "The Master Class" invaluable. I highly recommend it to all writers as it goes to show that the more you know the more there is to learn.
Christy
Nov 20, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-skills
Every Character Has a VoicePoint of view isn't just an element of storytelling�when chosen carefully and employed consistently in a work of fiction, it is the foundation of a captivating story.

It's the character voice you can hear as clearly as your own. It's the unique worldview that intrigues readers�persuading them to empathize with your characters and invest in their t...more
Lisa Eckstein
Apr 26, 2013 Lisa Eckstein rated it really liked it
I was so excited to read a book by someone who is more geeky about point of view than I am, because most writing guides don't cover the topic in nearly enough depth. Rasley analyzes each possible narrative perspective and discusses when it might be appropriate for a story. Highly recommended if that sounds exciting to you, too.
Jeffrey Rasley
Oct 30, 2010 Jeffrey Rasley rated it it was amazing
Great examples for novices and multi-published writers. Deeply thoughtful and insightful about understanding POV.
Carole
Feb 15, 2010 Carole rated it it was amazing
If you write fiction or just love to read it well, a must-have book. Buy it, re-read it, take a master's class in the art and mystery of point of view. Brilliant.
Miranda Honfleur
A very strong overview of POV, with a thorough and useful section on character voice to which I refer again and again. Highly recommended for new and experienced writers.
Nourddine Boughaba
Apr 24, 2013 Nourddine Boughaba rated it it was amazing
Jillian
Jan 02, 2013 Jillian rated it it was ok
Shelves: lady-authors, 2013
I got this as a half-assed gift and didn't have the highest expectations, but it was decent for what it does.
L.G.C. Smith
L.G.C. Smith rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2011
Monika Kalina
Monika Kalina rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2009
Griflet
Griflet rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Sarah Mendonca
Sarah Mendonca rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Dawn Silver
Dawn Silver rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Laura Wilson
Laura Wilson rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jenn Crowell
Jenn Crowell rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Nicole Lingley
Nicole Lingley rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Faye
Faye rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
William Thomas
William Thomas rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Kaye
Kaye rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2014
C.M. Doporto
C.M. Doporto rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot: A Guide for Screenwriters
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Plots, Characters and Complications
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Description & Setting
  • 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists: Insider Secrets from Top Writers
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within