Start by marking “Democracy in America Volume 2” as Want to Read:
Democracy in America Volume 2

Democracy in America Volume 2 (De la Démocratie en Amérique #2)

Volume 2 of the classic commentary on the influence of democracy on the intellect, feelings, and actions of Americans. With an introduction by Phillips Bradley.
Published August 11th 1990 by Vintage (first published 1840)

To ask other readers questions about Democracy in America Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Democracy in America Volume 2

Jenny
Apr 11, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Written over 150 years ago, Democracy In America is even more important and compelling today than it was then. This past fall, I had the opportunity to teach a Government class for my college. My class studied the second volume of this invaluable classic. It was such a pleasure to study it through a mentor's eyes. It truly came alive for me in a way that it never had before as I prepared to teach it.

Despite his young age, Tocqueville was a master at understanding human nature. Volume II is fille
Jill
Mar 01, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
it's amazing to read a book from so long ago that is so exquisitely detailed about what's going to happen in the future. tocqueville follows democracy through to its most minute consequences and sets forth warnings. many sections of this book were very dense for me, but it was still enjoyable. mostly i appreciated the warning of the gentle power that will eventually permeate from the government throughout all society into the individuals until they become unmotivated to exercise their moral agen ...more
Berta  Viteri
Jan 11, 2016 Berta Viteri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tesis
La tercera vez que lo leo; esta vez tomando notas en el ordenador...he conseguido reducir los dos tomos a 45 páginas de pasajes que me interesan. Tiempo de cocción de una tesis: mil años.
Norman Cook
This second volume is much more of a generic philosophical treatise than the first volume that dealt with the nuts and bolts of the structure of U.S. government. As such, it didn't have as much punch or relevance of the first volume. This volume is divided into two main sections: Section I: Influence of Democracy on the Action of Intellect in The United States. Section 2: Influence of Democracy on the Feelings of Americans.

Here are some quotes I thought were particularly interesting:

"It must nev
Dec 03, 2016 Katie Anderson rated it liked it
Actually better than Part I
Christy
Jan 08, 2010 Christy rated it liked it
I don’t know if I can be as forgiving as others have been in responding to Democracy in America. Tocqueville’s Volume 2 is filled with distracting, generalizing statements comparing an aristocracy to a democracy, amassing every American into unfavorable observations. I have read some book reviews that change how Tocqueville worded his comparisons into a less absolute manner, letting him get away with all of his inflexible, degrading statements. I found that I was so annoyed with his judgments th ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jul 03, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Interested in American History and Political Science
De Tocqueville said the first volume of Democracy in America was more about America, the second more about democracy. The introduction by Mansfield and Winthrop, the translators and editors of the edition I read, called it both the best book on America and the best on democracy. The first volume was a popular bestseller in its day, the second a more modest success, and I can understand that. I rated the first volume five stars, this volume is getting quite a bit lower. It's still well worth read ...more
Mara
May 13, 2013 Mara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I need to read more about de Tocqueville and critiques of his theory. I have tentative criticisms of his main tenets - mostly questions that I hope someone else might have noticed and studied for me. Perhaps I missed this section, but did he address how the despot produced by equality and democracy interacts with the other branches of our government? I suppose he would say that even if we begin with those three branches checking power, eventually the executive branch will dominate.

And then,
L.M. Smith
May 14, 2012 L.M. Smith rated it it was amazing
This book was required reading for my political science class in college but, to my surprise, I found it absolutely fascinating. Alexis de Tocqueville was a Frenchman who visited America shortly after the ratification of the United States Constitution and wrote Democracy In America vol. 1 praising our nation for it's determination, work ethic, and politics. He revisited the country some time later and wrote this book to express troublesome changes that he witnessed from one visit to the next and ...more
Jeremy Egerer
Feb 06, 2014 Jeremy Egerer rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the six greatest secular books I've ever read. Somehow predicted the rise of socialism and the nanny state, the disappearance of truly great men from the political scene, the concentration of governmental power and its broadness of scope, the rise and dangers of the modern corporation and the mass-media, and the ever-shrinking individual amidst an increasingly dominant equality. Nobody has ever written such powerful and insightful social commentary with such force: Tocqueville is a ...more
Dorian Neerdael
Ce deuxième ouvrage sur le système démocratique en Amérique est un peu plus intéressant que le premier. Il quitte le point de vue purement historique, il arrête l'analyse institutionnelle pour se pencher sur les moeurs de la population dans une démocratie. Cela tient assez de la sociologie, mais il y a aussi toute une partie très philosophique, notamment les deux premiers chapitres de la première partie (sur la tendance cartésienne des américains, et sur la relation au dogme).
Bob G
May 19, 2013 Bob G rated it liked it
Shelves: top100
In the first volume, the author described what he saw in the American people and system of government.

In this volume he generalizes more about the future (from his point of view) and centers his thoughts about "democratic ages". He tries to relate the American experience to France. I can understand why he did that, and, if I were steeped in French history, I could probably relate much better to what he was saying. But I am not, and don't.
Yann
Jul 22, 2011 Yann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dans cette deuxième partie, Tocquville parle moins de l Amérique et prend de la hauteur pour ne plus que s intéresser a la démocratie proprement dite. Je la trouve plus inégale que la première, quoique certains chapitres soient réellement impressionnants de pénétration.
Alexis
Oct 03, 2015 Alexis rated it really liked it
7: Brilliant, incisive and still very relevant.

"if I am asked how we should account for the unusual prosperity and growing strength of this nation, I would reply that they must be attributed to the superiority of their women."
Alethea Hammer
Nov 14, 2015 Alethea Hammer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it is a clear window back in time. His observations about human nature under different political systems is interesting, but sometimes debatable. His predictions for the future of the Union probably would have been correct except for the Civil War.
Jacqueline
May 06, 2009 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard and wonderful book. I loved it. This Frenchman in 1840 could see the very soul of men 150 years ahead of his time.
Dmitry D Tankov
Nov 21, 2015 Dmitry D Tankov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great work

Great classic read! Highly recommend to anyone interested in history and politics. So many things described in this masterpiece are true today as well.
Jean-Loup
Jul 08, 2011 Jean-Loup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livre tres interessant sur les Etats Unis, tres lucide en ce qui concerne son fonctionement et son avenir.
Audra Tompkins
Audra Tompkins rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Eric Gulliver
Eric Gulliver rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2008
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2009
Dean Orr
Dean Orr rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2012
Ignacio
Ignacio rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Jeff Orenstein
Jeff Orenstein rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2015
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
C
C rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Kathy Cockerham
Kathy Cockerham rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Jesus Galindo
Jesus Galindo rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Ross Richey
Ross Richey rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
  • Crisis and Leviathan: Critical Episodes in the Growth of American Government
  • Liberalism and the Social Problem: A Collection of Early Speeches as a Member of Parliament
  • Orwell in Spain: The Full Text of Homage to Catalonia, with Associated Articles, Reviews and Letters from the Complete Works of George Orwell
  • History of Political Philosophy
  • Let Our Fame Be Great: Journeys Among the Defiant People of the Caucasus
  • Essays: Moral, Political and Literary
  • Resurrecting Empire: Western Footprints and America's Perilous Path in the Middle East
  • The Debate on the Constitution : Federalist and Antifederalist Speeches, Articles and Letters During the Struggle over Ratification, Part Two: January to August 1788 (Library of America)
  • The Crisis of German Ideology: Intellectual Origins of the Third Reich
  • An Essay Concerning Human Understanding 2 (Books on Western Philosophy)
  • Tocqueville's Discovery of America
  • The Class Struggles in France, 1848-1850
  • Political Liberalism
  • Holy Madness: Romantics, Patriots, and Revolutionaries, 1776-1871
  • FairTax: The Truth: Answering the Critics
  • The Morality of Capitalism: What Your Professors Won't Tell You
  • Crises of the Republic: Lying in Politics, Civil Disobedience, On Violence, and Thoughts on Politics and Revolution
  • Rebooting the American Dream: 11 Ways to Rebuild Our Country
Alexis-Charles-Henri Clérel de Tocqueville (July 29, 1805 – April 16, 1859) was a French political thinker and historian best known for his Democracy in America (appearing in two volumes: 1835 and 1840) and The Old Regime and the Revolution (1856). In both of these works, he explored the effects of the rising equality of social conditions on the individual and the state in western societies.

Democr
More about Alexis de Tocqueville...

De la Démocratie en Amérique (2 books)
  • Democracy in America Volume 1

“When the taste for physical gratifications among them has grown more rapidly than their education . . . the time will come when men are carried away and lose all self-restraint . . . . It is not necessary to do violence to such a people in order to strip them of the rights they enjoy; they themselves willingly loosen their hold. . . . they neglect their chief business which is to remain their own masters.” 127 likes
“It would seem as if the rulers of our time sought only to use men in order to make things great; I wish that they would try a little more to make great men; that they would set less value on the work and more upon the workman; that they would never forget that a nation cannot long remain strong when every man belonging to it is individually weak; and that no form or combination of social polity has yet been devised to make an energetic people out of a community of pusillanimous and enfeebled citizens.” 28 likes