Start by marking “The Making Of Goodnight Mr Tom” as Want to Read:

Book Review

Title of Book: Goodnight Mr Tom
Author: Michelle Magorian

Theme
Goodnight Mr Tom is a powerful and moving story about how love and trust can slowly develop in a relationship between a grumpy old man and a boy from a deprived background. The story is set during World War 11 and we see the contrast between London which was being bombed and the serene and peaceful countryside. The book is written from the perspective of the young boy.

Outline of the Story
At the beginning of the second World
Jordan
Jan 06, 2014 Jordan rated it really liked it
i had to read this book for school, and i never thought id like it, but by a few chapters in, i was captivated by the characters and plot. it was surprising and brilliantly written. Id definitely read this agian.
Lisa
Mar 31, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: wwII fiction fans
Shelves: teenfiction
I usually dislike war fiction, but this is touching story of a young boy who finds family love with a grumpy old man when he is sent away from the city for his protection in WWII.
Victoria
Jun 12, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it
The book was a complete thriller, always continuously wanting more. I didn't put the book down for two straight days as the flexibility with in the book grasped at my attention. The tale of William meeting Mr Tom really made me question the thoughts I had on people and what it was really like to witness how William or "Willy" as he's addressed in the book - was feeling. It left me with a great desire for more and a passion to stick to a similar gene of writing.

Considering I needed to read this
Alicia
Jun 26, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is amazing I am currently reading when Tom has taken Willie back to littlewierwold from the hospital
Nadine
Jul 29, 2014 Nadine rated it it was amazing
amazing
Lloyd Walker
Jun 28, 2015 Lloyd Walker rated it really liked it
A great story of a war time evacuee and his time in his adopted home in the countryside. I liked it for the telling of how evacuees formed good memories in war time Britain and reminds me of my grandfathers stories of his time as an evacuee. I would recommend this is a class book in Upper Key Stage 2 and could be studied at the same time as studying World War Two and could link to English through the children rebelling the story as if it was them. Using metaphor, similes etc.
Isabelle
Mar 20, 2013 Isabelle rated it really liked it
This novel is about the life of an evacuee during world war two. Willie is evacuated to Little Weirwold and has to live with Mr Tom. This story portrays the fear and horrors that people had to go through during the war.

One of my favourite aspects of the story was the school, comparing it to our school today, you can certainly see a big difference. I really enjoyed this book because one of the characters (Zach) reminds me of my brother and how you join the journey as Willie finds friendship, disc
Mahek
Nov 02, 2012 Mahek rated it liked it
The book was alright although it was really sad and depressing. The start was REALLY slow and kind of boring
Annie Bell
Apr 30, 2012 Annie Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
The review is for the book, not the making of. Still one of the best books I've ever read!
Michelle Fallon
One of my favourite books. Probably the first 'novel' I ever read. I loved the tv programme too.
Gary Gannon
Oct 25, 2012 Gary Gannon rated it really liked it
Brilliant book ... Film does not live up to the clever words in the book
Begonia74 Daniels
One of my first favorite books!
Cindy
Mar 19, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book...made me cry.
Olivia Flaherty
Jul 18, 2007 Olivia Flaherty rated it it was amazing
reali gd film is even better
Amber
Amber added it
Apr 07, 2016
Nikki Maynard
Nikki Maynard rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Hel Ellison
Hel Ellison rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Grace Graham
Grace Graham rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Adrianna
Adrianna rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Brooklyn Siler
Brooklyn Siler marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
sara snaddon
sara snaddon marked it as to-read
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Suzanne Ruby
Suzanne Ruby rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016