Start by marking “The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale” as Want to Read:
The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale

The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Greedy to have the cove where he swims all to himself, Norvin, who looks a bit like a shark, pretends to be one, scaring off the other swimmers and leaving him in happy aquatic solitude--until he is discovered by an amorous female shark.
Published March 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published 1989)

Dec 29, 2014 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio, kids
I listened to this today - the first time ever listening to a picture book without the book in hand, and it was MARVELOUS. Cheers to the narrator.

(the story was fun too. plucky kid almost gets his comeuppance - isn't rewarded for his bad behavior.
Norvin, who looks like a great white shark, and swims really well, scares all the other swimmers at Carmel Bay.

A cautionary tale? The moral at the end is not pushed or even stated?
Amar Pai
The way they drew Shark-Boy made me laugh. Other than that pretty basic moral about sharing and caring and not crying wolf (shark)
Mrs. Carey
Truly a cautionary tale after the recent shark attacks. Another spin on crying wolf.
Used BookFlix to share this story with my first graders. They thought it was hilarious!
Cynthia Patterson
Norvan was greedy and he was selfish. I really enjoyed this book.
Kids love this story on audio in the car.
My shark-obsessed 5 year old adored this story!
Katie Curry
This book is about a child who has a few similar characteristics as a real great white shark. Unfortunately, Norvin was selfish and loved to swim by himself. Norvin concocted a plan to strap a fake dorsal fin to his back and swim around. He scared everyone out of the water so that he can have the ocean all to himself. In the end, this turns on him and he is scared out of the water by a shark too.
I would use this book in my classroom to discuss sharing and how we must always think completely thr
Jodi Santora
I read this book because I thought the title was funny, and may read it to my class just to discuss the important of the hyphen! After actually reading it, it is an OKAY book. A cautionary tale about a boy who is greedy about the cove where he swims. In order to get the water to himself, he pretenders to be a shark. After doing this several times, Dorvin encounters a a real shark and gives himself up.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A strange tale of a boy called Norvin who looks like a shark. He loves swimming at a local bay, Caramel Cove. But he didn't like Caramel Cove to be crowded with other swimmers, so Norvin straps a dorsal fin on his back and pretends to be a great white so he can scare all the other swimmers away. Of course Norvin gets his comeuppance for being so greedy and unfeeling.
The moral of this cautionary tale: Dishonesty may end up biting you in the butt... or cause a dangerous betrothal you have no interest in.

Kids love hearing stories about sharks, and they will love reading (or hearing) this story of Norvin the practical joker of a young boy who looks and swims like a shark.
Rebecca Clarke
This was the first book I can remember reading. I loved it!
I still remember going down to our local book store 'London Bookshop' in New Plymouth to meet Margaret. She signed the book, leaving a special message for me, I'm saddened to this day I can no longer find the book :(
This is one of the stories that is in the Margaret Mahy treasury my little brother got for christmas. I've heard this one before and I like it, it is quite a funny one. The treasury is a really good book.
Lisbeth Solberg
Parallel episodes!

My level 2s in Vietnam cut out paper sharks and then taped them to the window in a feeding frenzy around a little fish.
This is a wonderful funny story about a selfish boy who happens to look shark like. One of my all-time favorites. Ages 4+
wonderful cautionary tale to warn children of the dangers of deception and selfishness. very amusing!
norvin is a tricky boy who tricks fellow beach goers into thinking hes a great white man eating shark
Very hysterical! Never get tired of reading this one to the kids.
Ellen Brandt
A silly book that ties (vaguely) into the Grade 2 "ocean unit"
Such a cute tale and also can be seen on Scholastic DVD.
Zoe marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • The Mysterious Tadpole
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
  • The Library Dragon
  • Demolition
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo
More about Margaret Mahy...
The Changeover The Seven Chinese Brothers The Haunting The Tricksters Bubble Trouble