Start by marking “The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale” as Want to Read:
The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale

The Great White Man-Eating Shark: A Cautionary Tale

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Greedy to have the cove where he swims all to himself, Norvin, who looks a bit like a shark, pretends to be one, scaring off the other swimmers and leaving him in happy aquatic solitude--until he is discovered by an amorous female shark.
Published March 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published 1989)

The Brothers
Jan 30, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: sharks
The book's main character, a little boy names Norvin, enjoys darting through the water a great deal, but doesn't like how crowded the beach is. So, taking advantage of his "shark looks" he straps on a dorsal fin and scares everyone out of the water so he can have the beach all to himself. His plans go awry when a real shark finds him attractive.

Rather fun illustrations.
Jen
Dec 29, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, audio
I listened to this today - the first time ever listening to a picture book without the book in hand, and it was MARVELOUS. Cheers to the narrator.

(the story was fun too. plucky kid almost gets his comeuppance - isn't rewarded for his bad behavior.
Katie
Jun 11, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: margaret-mahy
Norvin, who looks like a great white shark, and swims really well, scares all the other swimmers at Carmel Bay.

A cautionary tale? The moral at the end is not pushed or even stated?
Amar Pai
Aug 17, 2015 Amar Pai rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The way they drew Shark-Boy made me laugh. Other than that pretty basic moral about sharing and caring and not crying wolf (shark)
Mrs. Carey
Jun 17, 2015 Mrs. Carey rated it really liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
Truly a cautionary tale after the recent shark attacks. Another spin on crying wolf.
Amy
Feb 06, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-books
Used BookFlix to share this story with my first graders. They thought it was hilarious!
Austin Patterson
Jun 19, 2015 Austin Patterson rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Norvan was greedy and he was selfish. I really enjoyed this book.
Philip Martin
Feb 09, 2016 Philip Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great examples of descriptive language and complex words
Megan
Jun 30, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Kids love this story on audio in the car.
Mona
Aug 07, 2015 Mona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
My shark-obsessed 5 year old adored this story!
Katie Curry
Sep 26, 2011 Katie Curry rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a child who has a few similar characteristics as a real great white shark. Unfortunately, Norvin was selfish and loved to swim by himself. Norvin concocted a plan to strap a fake dorsal fin to his back and swim around. He scared everyone out of the water so that he can have the ocean all to himself. In the end, this turns on him and he is scared out of the water by a shark too.
I would use this book in my classroom to discuss sharing and how we must always think completely thr
Jodi Santora
Jan 14, 2012 Jodi Santora rated it it was ok
I read this book because I thought the title was funny, and may read it to my class just to discuss the important of the hyphen! After actually reading it, it is an OKAY book. A cautionary tale about a boy who is greedy about the cove where he swims. In order to get the water to himself, he pretenders to be a shark. After doing this several times, Dorvin encounters a a real shark and gives himself up.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A strange tale of a boy called Norvin who looks like a shark. He loves swimming at a local bay, Caramel Cove. But he didn't like Caramel Cove to be crowded with other swimmers, so Norvin straps a dorsal fin on his back and pretends to be a great white so he can scare all the other swimmers away. Of course Norvin gets his comeuppance for being so greedy and unfeeling.
Shelli
Jul 28, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
The moral of this cautionary tale: Dishonesty may end up biting you in the butt... or cause a dangerous betrothal you have no interest in.

Kids love hearing stories about sharks, and they will love reading (or hearing) this story of Norvin the practical joker of a young boy who looks and swims like a shark.
Rebecca Clarke
Jan 17, 2013 Rebecca Clarke rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I can remember reading. I loved it!
I still remember going down to our local book store 'London Bookshop' in New Plymouth to meet Margaret. She signed the book, leaving a special message for me, I'm saddened to this day I can no longer find the book :(
Shivers
Dec 27, 2011 Shivers rated it really liked it
This is one of the stories that is in the Margaret Mahy treasury my little brother got for christmas. I've heard this one before and I like it, it is quite a funny one. The treasury is a really good book.
Courtney Johnson
Apr 08, 2016 Courtney Johnson rated it really liked it
I like this book so much better now that Margaret Mahy actually read it out loud to me. She is an amazing person. And since I met her and my name is in the book, I just had to buy the book.
Lisbeth Solberg
Parallel episodes!

My level 2s in Vietnam cut out paper sharks and then taped them to the window in a feeding frenzy around a little fish.
Molly
Feb 23, 2009 Molly rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful funny story about a selfish boy who happens to look shark like. One of my all-time favorites. Ages 4+
Coffeesally
Feb 11, 2008 Coffeesally rated it really liked it
wonderful cautionary tale to warn children of the dangers of deception and selfishness. very amusing!
Jo
Apr 21, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
norvin is a tricky boy who tricks fellow beach goers into thinking hes a great white man eating shark
Nancy
Oct 02, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Very hysterical! Never get tired of reading this one to the kids.
Ellen Brandt
Oct 12, 2009 Ellen Brandt rated it really liked it
A silly book that ties (vaguely) into the Grade 2 "ocean unit"
Ellenjsmellen
Feb 04, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
Such a cute tale and also can be seen on Scholastic DVD.
Rowan Stanley
Rowan Stanley rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Holly Boothe
Holly Boothe rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
  • The Mysterious Tadpole
  • Beware of the Frog
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting
  • The Jolly Pocket Postman
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo
More about Margaret Mahy...