Start by marking “The Other Book” as Want to Read:
The Other Book

The Other Book

2.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Edward Pollock lives an ordinary life at his ordinary boarding school, where the food is bad and the teachers are way too serious. But one day he's inexplicably drawn to a strange and powerful book, and suddenly the boarding school isn't quite so ordinary anymore. Capable of boosting men to heroism or destroying them in malice and evil, The Other Book has laid dormant for ...more
Published February 19th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Other Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Book

Sam
Jul 14, 2010 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Edward attends a boarding school in England and leads a fairly normal life. He is often in trouble, frequently bullied, and generally miserable living with horrible teachers, awful food, and lackluster friends. One day, he is magically led to a mysterious book known only as "The Other Book"- a book that gives him horrible visions when he touches it. He soon discovers that the protector of the book has chosen him as a pure soul- the person responsible for delivering the book from evil to it's rig ...more
Reita
Nov 10, 2008 Reita rated it did not like it
Too many inconsistencies in the story. Because the guardian of The Book was corrupt, the book could not be used by the next in line (his son) but had to be buried for 400 years so the evil could be leached out. Then in 400 years time, another person would try to corrupt the power of the Book but there would be someone to restore it to it's full glory and power. So a boy, Edward has the Book and the bad guys are after the Book, and the bad guys can sense the Book but not always, and Edward runs f ...more
Ricki
Feb 03, 2009 Ricki rated it did not like it
I rarely rate YA books one star, but I honestly just did not like this book at all. It reminded me of a bad version of The Golden Compass. The story had a good story idea, but I don't think it was effectively written. I noticed inconsistencies in the plot and the characters were very flat.
Colin
Apr 20, 2008 Colin rated it it was ok
Poor character development, choppy pacing, and unlikely character choices serving to conveniently tie up narrative threads made this book totally BLAH.
Jennifer Wardrip
Jun 28, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

Oldstone Manor is a strange old place all by itself. When you add in a boarding school where Greek and Latin aren't dead languages, it gets just plain weird. But something particularly strange, even for Oldstone, is going on. The problem is that no one, other than Edward, seems to be noticing. Well, maybe not no one.

It started with the crazy recurring dreams. Dreams about places he recognizes even though he's never been there, people who seem fami
Bix
May 04, 2008 Bix rated it liked it
The Other Book will appeal to older fans of Harry Potter and The Golden Compass. Even darker in tone than The Deathly Hallows, this relatively short novel set in an English boarding school follows its hero as he struggles to keep unlimited power out of the hands of those who would use it for their own evil ends. While the characters are more thinly drawn than in either of the aforementioned series, there is plenty of dark magic and adventure here to satisfy young readers."

CIP: "Edward Pollock, a
pandamans
A boarding school, friends, mysterious magical happenings, suspicious teachers - does any of this sound vaguely familiar? Philip Womack's The Other Book combines each of these aspects into an intriguing and dark work that while perhaps lacking in originality, keeps the reader engaged. Edward Pollock, an avid reader, comes across a mysterious book in his school library. Soon after, things start getting wonky around the campus. Edward is ported to another dimension where he is instructed by a knig ...more
Kristy McRae
Jan 29, 2014 Kristy McRae rated it liked it
An interesting, fast-paced middle-grade fantasy/adventure. I liked the storyline, and the characters, although I felt like poor Edward got betrayed horribly by people he trusted JUST a few too many times... This is left open-ended--I'm not sure if there's a sequel, or if one is planned, but I was interested enough in the story that I would definitely read a sequel.
Sanika Bhargaw
Jul 12, 2009 Sanika Bhargaw rated it liked it
This book was pretty good but not as good as a lot of the others I've read this summer.
Basically, it's about a boy named Edward who goes to a boarding school. One day he finds a mysterious old book in the library and takes it. He is for some reason drawn to it. He finds out that this book is the "Other Book", a magical book that has been dormant for a long time. It has many dark powers and Edward must resist them, as he is the guardian of the book.
Then a new teacher arrives at his boarding schoo
Amy Emler
Jan 01, 2009 Amy Emler rated it liked it
My librarian called this 'good, heavy duty fantasy' and dropped it on my desk for me to read over Christmas break. I'm still not entirely sure what I think of it, exactly. I did have a hard time getting into it; it sat on my shelf for several days. Once I got into it, I did finish quickly. There are still some things that never got explained that bother me, and some charaters that just didn't ring quite true throughout. It seems set up for a sequel, which I would be interested in reading. We'll ...more
Lisa
Jul 13, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
Another kind of Harry Potter--a boy at boarding school finds out he is special, and has a few adventures. The idea was okay, but some of the passages struck me as out of place. For example, at one point, the boy imagines playing video games when this is all over, and sure, kids like to do that kind of thing, but almost nowhere in the book are electronics mentioned or used. Another thing that didn't ring true was the fact that this kid had wonderful loving parents who he never tried to reach when ...more
Tigerlily
Apr 20, 2011 Tigerlily rated it liked it
Creepy, but tottally enthralling. 3.5 stars.
Update: April 20th, 2011. I picked up this book from the library and distantly recognized it, read the entire thing, got on goodreads to record it and Lo and Behold, I'd read it 2 years earlier. Obviously it hadn't made a huge impression on me, seeing as I re-read the entire thing and didn't know I had read it before.
I liked it better this time though, I would now rate it 4 stars.
Yami
Mar 22, 2012 Yami rated it it was ok
i didn't really like this book, it had some good ideas,but it felt weak, as if the author just squeezed more lines when he was re-reading it :S, the first chapter made me interested, but through the pages it was up and down , there was good material but the conversation and the jumping in events made me want to finish it but with no real joy :(
Alex
Apr 12, 2008 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
Edward really does not like boarding school, but when he finds a mysterious tome in the library, his life is forevered changed. The Other Book, the book he finds, is the written accounts from Merlin and Viven, and it is up to Edward to keep the book safe and out of the hands of the evil Lady Anne.
Just a fun good read.
Kiersten
Dreadfully flat. I got most of the way through, but eventually gave up slogging through the recycled storyline, disjointed and confusing writing, and very static characters. The prologue wasn't bad, but the actual story wasn't well-developed at all. I've seen worse; nonetheless, it is not worth the time.
Victoria
Jul 28, 2010 Victoria rated it liked it
The Other Book was a very interesting short story. And boy is the beginning good, if not a little creepy. The whole Merlin and Vivian thing was weird though. There were also a lot of unknowns about the book and the people in the story, but surprisingly it worked.
WCPL Teens
When Edward discovers a mysterious book in the library at his boarding school, he never imagines the turmoil it will cause in his life. Somehow he absorbs the contents of the book, and suddenly some of the teachers at the school are after him for the book's power.
Karla
Oct 24, 2008 Karla rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A good scary read - suspenseful and rather dark. Edward, a boarding school student at Oldstone Manor, finds a book of power that has been corrupted. Edward has to keep it out of the hands of Lady Anne, who wants to use it for evil. Has some interesting twists.
Joleen
Feb 18, 2009 Joleen rated it really liked it
This book started a little slow and confusing but then really picked up. I had to keep reading once I got towards the end. I don't know if there will be another book but the end was written in a way that there could be.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn
Mar 30, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2013
This was just okay because it felt too complicated and yet under-developed. The idea and intent was there, but I just wish it was executed differently by Womack
Kim
Oct 29, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: chapter, fantasy
Edward fins a book that has the potential for great evil or great good. Very confusing at times and not a satisfactory ending. Skip it
Sheralyn
Jul 23, 2008 Sheralyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean-teen
Really good read. Author has a good imagination and you are at the edge of your seat most of the time.
Miriam
Aug 22, 2008 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, books
Fine but not memorable story of a boy at boarding school who finds a lost book and is pursued by bad guys.
Cori
Lola
Feb 07, 2009 Lola added it
Lost Interest.
Tom Kavanagh
Tom Kavanagh rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Hailey Nielson
Hailey Nielson rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
  • Eleganta: A Novel of Fairykind
  • Dove Isabeau
  • Shift
  • Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)
  • Collecting Children's Books: Art, Memories, Values
  • Gem X
  • Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #3)
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Spellspam (Worldweavers, #2)
  • Ondine (Le Livre De Poche)
  • Mirrorscape
  • Elissa's Quest (Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • The Unseen
  • The Blue Umbrella: A Novel
  • Twin Roses (Beau Rivage, #1.6)
  • Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace