Start by marking “Sexual Politics” as Want to Read:
Sexual Politics

Sexual Politics

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,806 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Identifying patriarchy as a socially conditioned belief system masquerading as nature, the author demonstrates how its attitudes and systems penetrate literature, philosophy, psychology, and politics. Her work rocked the foundations of the literary canon by castigating time-honored classics for their use of sex to degrade women.
Published March 8th 2000 by University of Illinois Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Sexual Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sexual Politics

Paul Bryant

Yes, it's Week Four of STRICTLY COME NOVELISTS

(note - this is the British version of DANCING WITH THE NOVELISTS)

Tess Daley (blondly) : And here, dancing the American smooth with his partner Ola Jordan,

is Count Leo Tolstoy.

(Music : From Russia with Love. The couple cavort.)

Sir Bruce (as the couple shimmies from the dance floor) : Well done, well done Leo. I'm glad you were able to finish your dance in less than 700 pages. (Mild titters from audience.) Come on, I thought it was better than that.
Marissa
Everyone always says that this book founded feminist literary studies even though OBVIOUSLY Simone De Beauvoir was the real founder with her essays on several of the same authors in Second Sex. I know it's not as fun to think so though since she founded EVERYTHING else already. However, Sexual Politics is mind-blowingly brilliant. One of the few literary theory books which leaves you analyzing the patterns of your own life and recognizing underlying structures you instictively knew, but could no ...more
Susan
An eyeopener. Moving, so scanning in some books. My favorite ones. After reading this, I swore off Mailer and H. Miller forever. Met Kate later, when she was making art in a studio in the East Village. My idea of an artistic rebel.
4.5
We all know how easy it is to look back and criticize. It is very easy, but to do it eloquently, lucidly, and with the goal of creating a measuring stick for sexual politics is a feat to celebrate, not to mention that it is admirable, interesting and worth discussing.
I mean really, using literature as a barometer for the sexual-political climate of the times? What's not to enjoy? Yes, she indulges in close reading, but she does not go overboard and indulge tangents, whims or stray metaphors.
Jonathan
The founding text, or opening salvo, of feminist literary criticism. It's kind of odd to think that forty years ago, this critique of modern authors' blithe (and often quite funny) gender assumptions was new; today it's the universal property of well-read college humanities majors, even if they've never heard of Kate Millett. But it's still a great read.
Christine Blackthorn
It is a book that has started the second wave (or third depending which academic you follow) of feminism and as such it has already historical value. It is a fascinating read, even today.
Ryan Mishap
Wonderful 1970 classic breakdown of male domination through an examination of literature: Mailer, Miller, Freud, Hardy, and more. Essential as an early feminist literary criticism piece correlating the stories that get told and the effects in the real world.
Bri
The misogyny she examines was too much for me to finish the last few chapters. A feminist must-read.
Nicole
This book is a key feminist work, and encourages one to just think of the world through a different lens.
Louise Colette
If steam isn't coming out of your ears after reading this one, there's no hope for you.
Nalim
"Identifying patriarchy as a socially conditioned belief system masquerading as nature, Kate Millett demonstrates how its attitudes and systems penetrate literature, philosophy, psychology, and politics. Kate Millett's work rocked the foundations of the literary canon by castigating time-honored classics for their use of sex to degrade women."
Kristin
An important touchstone text in feminist literary criticism. Sets up central terms that helped define a school of thought.
S. Sigerson
Feminism 101: This is the classic manifesto of the women's liberation movement.
Nicki
Only read about 100 pages of it: don't tell my professor. Seemed like one of those books one should probably read but is just a beast to get through (especially if you're forced to read it over 3 days). My rating isn't really fair, disregard it.

First time I've ever not finished a book for class. I feel like that is an accomplishment of some sort.
Katherine Olivia
Some parts feel a bit dated, but there's no denying the lady was a kick-ass close-reader.
Ceren Ataş
Kitabı bana hediye eden dostumun ilk sayfaya bıraktığı not özettir: "Birçok kez öteki idik, en çok kadın kere ötekilendik."
Inkpenshmee
Only read some parts of this book, the parts when she rips my homeboy Henry Miller a new one.
Autumn
Mar 23, 2007 Autumn marked it as to-read
just acquired from a friend but can't start until i finish norman mailer's prisoner of sex...
Johanna Descoins
So well-written and well-researched, and so, so depressing.
notgettingenough
Elisabeth reminded me that I read this for the sex too. Sigh.
Amy
This text is a must read for anyone interested in feminism.
Emma
Seething work of feminist rebellion.
Marilyn Dell Brady
This is a review test
Tia
Too boring to finish.
Philip Lee
Review to come...
Paula Williams
Paula Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jordan Wessels
Jordan Wessels marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
sexual politics 1 18 Dec 18, 2007 06:46AM
  • The Dialectic of Sex: The Case for Feminist Revolution
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism
  • Toward a Feminist Theory of the State
  • Listen Up: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation
  • This Sex Which Is Not One
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination
  • The Essential Feminist Reader
  • Whores and Other Feminists
  • Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center
Katherine Murray "Kate" Millett (born September 14, 1934) is an American feminist writer, educator, artist, and activist. She attended Oxford University and was the first American woman to be awarded a postgraduate degree with first-class honors by St. Hilda's. She has been described as "a seminal influence on second-wave feminism", and is best known for her 1970 book Sexual Politics,"[1] which wa ...more
More about Kate Millett...
The Loony-Bin Trip Sita The Basement: Meditations on a Human Sacrifice: With a New Introduction Flying The Basement

“Patriarchy, reformed or unreformed, is patriarchy still: its worst abuses purged or foresworn, it might actually be more stable and secure than before.” 6 likes
“Ataerkik düzendeki sınıfın başlıca etkilerinden biri, bir kadını bir diğerinin karşısına koymaktır. Geçmişte fahişelerle namuslu kadınlar karşılaştırılırken, günümüzde de çalışan kadınlarla ev kadınları karşı karşıya getirilmektedir. Bu kadınlardan birincisi ötekinin sahip olduğu "güvenlik" ve saygınlığa gıpta ederken, ikincisi de kendisine saygınlık kazandıran sınırlamaların ötesinde, özgürlük, serüven, dünyayı tanımak diye adlandırdığı birinci kadının yaşantısına özlem duyar. İkili düzen standardının çeşitli elverişliliklerinden yararlanan erkek, her iki kadının da dünyasını paylaşır ve üstün toplumsal ve ekonomik gücü ile de birbirlerine yabancılaşmış bu kadınları birbirlerine rakip duruma getirir.” 1 likes