Start by marking “The Complete "Talking Heads"” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Complete "Talking ...

Alan Bennett

The Complete "Talking Heads"

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The contains the first series of six Talking Heads monologues, written for BBC television in 1987, as well as the second series written in 1998. There is also another monologue A Woman Of No Importance, chosen by Alan Bennett to complete the collection.
Audio Cassette
Published October 4th 1999 by BBC Audiobooks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete "Talking Heads", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete "Talking Heads"

Cecily
Thirteen sad monologues, all with a twist. More happens in what is unsaid than what is said. Not a good idea to read too many in one sitting - moreish as they are - otherwise they meld a little too much.
Emma
I studied the first set of Talking Heads as an A level text, 11 years ago now, and decided to re-read them recently. If anything, I enjoyed them more the second time through.

The first set of six monologues comprises Susan, the vicar's wife, in Bed Among the Lentils; Graham in A Chip in the Sugar; Lesley in Her Big Chance; Muriel in Soldiering On; Miss Ruddock in A Lady of Letters; and Doris in A Cream Cracker Under the Settee. Each of the narrators is ignorant as to what they are revealing to t
Sue
After my last book I complained of characters not developed. Well, here is a textbook example of developed characters. I unwittingly arrived at the perfect antidote to the Feel Good book.

Talking Heads is a collection of monologues which were originally written for BBC television, the first group in 1988 and a second group in 1998. Since that time they have found life as radio broadcasts, in live theater, and as a published collection. I listened to the audio book. It’s hard for me to imagine a b
Christopher
Alan Bennett in his "Talking Heads" series assumes the task of the portraitist, a task which calls for honesty, empathy and style (for after all, it must be entertaining). He does all of these things fairly well, but the monologues lack excitement. There's a reason talking heads are the bane of any cinematographer, and while Bennett's attempt to revolutionize the medium is nobel, it fails to completely hold the viewer (or in this case reader's) attention.
Jean
I'd seen a couple of these on TV, and wondered whether they would work on the page. But I was not disappointed. Alan Bennett writes with such wit and perception that I could often visualise a set piece without having seen it.
So true to life, but such poignancy.

I have mixed feelings about confessing to being tucked in a corner reading these while the rest of the family was glued to the Olympics.
Lois
Apr 20, 2010 Lois marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All these have been written as monologues. I saw "Bed Among the Lentils" (on TV) starring the great Maggie Smith. Devastating combination of humor, despair, and a glimpse of hope??
Neil Schleifer
I loved this collection of monologues told from the perspective of some very eccentric British characters. Bennett is a magnificent story-teller.
Karen
This book was recommended by David Sedaris when I saw him earlier this year. It is outstanding
Jillian
Mar 08, 2010 Jillian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jillian by: Melisa Banks
Shelves: depressing
Most of the characters were really depressing, but it was an interesting, fast read.
Tom Holt
The Complete "Talking Heads" by Alan Bennett (2001)
Gerry
Currently re-reading
☯Bettie☯
Nushin
In Bennetts talking heads, hilarity and glum go perfectly well.
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Oliver
Oliver marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Diana Alexandra
Diana Alexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Carol A.
Carol A. marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Shane
Shane added it
Oct 22, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch
  • Take Me Out: A Play
  • Blackbird
  • The Designated Mourner
  • King Hedley II
  • Plays 1: Owners / Traps / Vinegar Tom / Light Shining in Buckingshire / Cloud Nine
  • The Mercy Seat: A Play
  • Jerusalem
  • The Royal Hunt Of The Sun (Millennium Series)
  • Rock 'n' Roll
  • The Goon Show Scripts
  • Democracy
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • Frost/Nixon
  • Frozen
  • Stuff Happens

Alan Bennett is an English author and Tony Award-winning playwright. Bennett's first stage play, Forty Years On, was produced in 1968. Many television, stage and radio plays followed, along with screenplays, short stories, novellas, a large body of non-fictional prose and broadcasting, and many appearances as
More about Alan Bennett...
The Uncommon Reader The History Boys Smut The Clothes They Stood Up In Talking Heads