Fallen (Tales of Noreela, #4)

Fallen (Tales of Noreela #4)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  25 reviews
From award-winning author Tim Lebbon comes this harrowing tale of an epic journey, crossing the forbidden boundary separating us from all we fear the most.…
To the unknown corners of Noreela, the Voyagers have traveled, returning with fantastic tales of their journeys and discoveries. But no one has ever returned from the Great Divide: a sheer cliff soaring miles above the...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2008)

The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Hero of Ages by Brandon SandersonThe Painted Man by Peter V. BrettLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
2008 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
85th out of 97 books — 216 voters
Spellbound by Nora RobertsPossession by A.S. ByattFallen by Lauren KateThe Fallen by Celia ThomsonPossession by Elana Johnson
Overworked Titles
61st out of 339 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
5 Stars

I am a huge Tim Lebbon fan. Not only is he a great horror Author, with this book he has proven to me that he can write amazing dark fantasy. I really enjoyed the Dusk/Dawn duology, and as a result wanted to seek out more from Lebbon. This book is set in the same world as the duology, only it takes place more than one thousand years earlier. Fallen is similar in that it is a dark and adult oriented fantasy that is not really suitable for the young adult crowd.

The plot of this book is a sim...more
Mark
Award-winning writer Tim Lebbon’s latest visit to the world of Noreela (his fourth novel) is an interesting one, in that, like the recent After the War, it is a prequel to the best selling books DAWN and DUSK.

It is also a different style of novel to DUSK/DAWN, being a Fantasy quest-archaeological novel – a sort of Indiana Jones meets The Twilight Zone type story. In my opinion, it’s gripping stuff.

The story’s pretty straightforward – in the earlier expansionist days of Noreela, a discovery of ma...more
Lori
I came across Fallen by Tim Lebbon pretty randomly, just browsing the 'new release' section at my local library. I was sort of between books, in that the three I had been reading off and on for a while had lost my interest and the book I had put on hold hadn't come in yet, so I decided to check it out and give it a read. Fallen is a stand-alone book, and something of a prequel to Lebbon's Dusk and Dawn. Although all three are set in the world of Noreela, the events in Fallen take place long befo...more
Traummachine
3.5 stars:

This is set in a distant past of the other 3 Noreela books, where the known world is small, superstition abounds, and a huge physical barrier separates the northern tip of the continent from the rest. Our heroes have no idea what lies at the top of the miles-high cliff face, but they have a map...

The book starts a little slowly, but Lebbon spends this time developing the complex relationships of the group. He does a great job, especially for an author who primarily writes horror. As th...more
Hayley
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It's dark and gritty and mysterious, exactly what it said it would be. A quote on the back cover said "If there was ever a natural successor to HP Lovecraft, Tim Lebbon has to be it." and I could certainly see the Lovecraftian influences coming through.

But I can only rate it three stars. The characters were great, diverse, mysterious, and their complex relationships and histories made for interesting. The general plot line was easy enough to follow - a group of peo...more
Jaya
Alan Baxter
This is a very well-written and engaging dark fantasy. Great setting, good world-building and pretty solid characters. For the most part I really enjoyed, but a few niggles knock this down to a three star book. I would give it two and a half if I could.

For example, there was a distinct over-emphasis on what the party ate on their travels with a strange obsession with herbs and spices. More fine detail in the world-building, perhaps, but it struck me as out of place.

But the real problem for me...more
Sylvia Marquez
Lebbon has this way of making you feel like you can see and smell what the characters are experiencing. I met huge insects, birds resembling bats, and as big as people. Friends who are no worse than enemies. This book is full of mythical creatures that you must meet for yourself to get a feel for this land. I imagined the soldiers hired to accompany the voyagers looked somewhat like they stepped out of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, minus the road/flying vehicles. Events occurred in ways that you w...more
Sandy Lender
Jun 15, 2009 Sandy Lender rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
In the fantasy novel Fallen, Tim Lebbon tells a great story that I felt compelled to keep reading long after I'd grown unhappy with the characters. To be honest, I wanted them all to die. Unfortunately, that would have left no one to propel a truly interesting story forward. And Lebbon is such a good story-teller that I wanted to see how Fallen would end. A group of money-driven and fame-driven characters go through an intricate and detailed journey in a world of dangers and double-crossers to g...more
Richard Wright
The third Noreela book, I think, set a considerable time before the Dusk/Dawn duology. I had a mixed experience with that story, but not this one - it's a fantastic, thrilling story. Lebbon has firmly established his world of Noreela now, and feels a lot more comfortable. It feels like a place, where before it felt like an impressive invention, and the warring explorers Nomi and Ramus are a gripping pair as they race for the greatest, most terrifying discovery in their world's history. Their riv...more
Lorinda
Remus is a voyager,(explorer, adventurer, mapmaker and scholar) he also has a sickness growing in his head and has been told it will kill him. His friend Nomi and fellow voyager has asked him to partner her in the greatest voyage imaginable, to the Great Divide. Here follows a story of unrequited love, friendship, betrayal,competition, tragedy and pain.
I liked this story as a bit of a change from recent diet of mostly YA. This is a much more grown up story demonstrating the worst in humankind an...more
Linda Kimpton
I loved this story. Original, intriguing, epic. Lebbon creates an entire world, cultures, their histories and beliefs, and makes you care about what happens to his multidimensional characters. It's the first book I've read by Tim Lebbon, it will not be the last.
Sean
Rodolfo
I really liked this book. So far this is my favorite Lebbon book. I like Dusk/Dawn, but this is the one I liked best. Even better than Berserk. This book made me want to know more about Noreela and the people/Gods that live there. The whole book is tragic. There arent really any hero's. Just people. I like that. There isnt really anyone in the book that you would want to be. If you were you would have to take the good with the bad and their is plenty of bad for each charter.

I want more stories...more
Phoenix
I'll write a better review on the computer; I'm currently on the phone app. I thoroughly enjoyed Fallen, although the end was very abrupt and I felt empty once it was over. I definitely want more, despite the questionable plausibility of some actions; it's fiction, so I allow some implausibility within actions. That's what makes fiction fun after all. I'll definitely be looking for more Tim Lebbon works!
Azn
I read this books many years ago when I was still a teenager, and I remembered liking it. The story started out fine, typical heroes on a quest, then when they got to their destination, it got really weird. The ending is utterly disappointing and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, but needless to say I was very underwhelmed. 5/10
Jeanne
The author's writing style was easy to read and engaging and that's about the only nice thing I have to say. His characters were flat and uninteresting....and the ending. Wow, the ending. Just couldn't do any better than that? Really? I'd look for the monkeys with typewriters for a spot of help next time. If I could give this book negative stars, I would.
Kelly Flanagan
Good book.I really enjoyed the premise of the story.This is the first book by Tim Lebbon I have read, but I doubt the last. I enjoyed his writing style, and his characters are full and easily believable.
Jenny Macdonald
Rather an unusual fantasy novel. Fast paced and intriguing it takes it's main characters on a strange journey whose true purpose is not disclosed until the end. I rather enjoyed it
Liesl
This one was definitely different and took me longer than normal to read. To use my daughter's term - meh. Didn't really dislike it, but certainly didn't love it either.
Daniel
Oct 08, 2010 Daniel added it
I read this some time ago and completely forgor that I had read it untill I borrowed it from the library. I guess that means that it wasn't really all that exciting.
Jason
Solid 3 star book. Good writing, but seemed to take ages for anything to happen. Not my favorite book by this author but still better than a lot of shitty fantasy books.
edifanob
In progress....

Two people, a long and interesting journey and an unexpected end.

Need to read more books by Tim Lebbon

Rob
Adventure, discovery, myth, gods and hero's all rolled into one. Bring on more tales from Noreela!
Ruby Ridge
A less confusing ending would have raised this to 5 stara
Timmy Naces
It's kinda boring
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Raeanna
Raeanna marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • Bone Song (Tristopolis, #1)
  • Brides of the Impaler
  • Who Fears The Devil
  • Morrigan's Brood (Morrigan's Brood, #1)
  • Ashes of a Black Frost (Iron Elves, #3)
  • Scar Night (Deepgate Codex, #1)
  • The Enterprise of Death
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • Marked for Death (Eberron: The Lost Mark, #1)
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • Thunderer (Thunderer, #1)
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • God Emperor of Didcot (Chronicles of Isambard Smith, #2)
  • Lucifer: The Morningstar Option
  • Evolution's Shore
  • A Question of Guilt: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Death of Henry Darnley
  • Hell Train
I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. It’s a lovely place – pub, shop, chip shop, school – and we’re very happy here. Two minutes’ walk in any direction a...more
More about Tim Lebbon...
Into the Void (Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi) Hellboy: Unnatural Selection Berserk 30 Days of Night The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization

“Humans crave knowledge, and when that craving ends, we are no longer human.” 1 likes
“Voyaging great distances – through forests, from island to island, across plains and into the mountains – is all about finding ourselves.” 1 likes