Start by marking “The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks” as Want to Read:
The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  5,241 ratings  ·  316 reviews
Those who don’t learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

From the Stone Age to the information age, the undead have threatened to engulf the human race. They’ re coming. They’re hungry.

Don’t wait for them to come to you!

This is the graphic novel the fans demanded: major zombie attacks from the dawn of humanity. On the African savannas, against the legions of ancient
Published October 6th 2009 by Broadway Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Zombie Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zombie Survival Guide

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
65th out of 1,298 books — 3,690 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
112th out of 1,002 books — 2,442 voters

More lists with this book...

Don
Reading this was enjoyable enough, but the more I've thought about it afterward, the more annoyed I've become.

First, there isn't any new material here; all the material is taken directly from the Zombie Survival Guide. This in itself isn't terrible - it's just not what I had been expecting. But the stories are still as interesting as they were the first time around, and the art does make the incidents more immediate.

What's entirely irritating, however, is the publisher's approach to the book. Th
Kemper
As a big fan of Brooks' World War Z and Zombie Survival Guide, I was really looking foward to this graphic novel that tells of zombie attacks through history. The stories are interesting and once again Brooks' writing shows that he's spent waaaayyy too much time thinking about tactics to fight off zombies. If there ever is a zombie apocalypse, I vote we put Brooks in charge of our defenses.

But this is short and sweet, and didn't fill my craving for another Brooks zombie book. Plus, I think Rober
Becky
3.5 Stars-

OK... I really loved The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead & the audio performance of World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War and I have plans to read World War Z next month (since the audio is abridged... I know, I know! Blasphemy. Yes, but it's awesome still. It's the exception. Trust me. Just look at the cast list.) and so I thought that I would round out the Max Brooks trio on my bookcase and pick this up.

I enjoyed it for the most part, and
Sesana
This is a companion of sorts to Brooks's Zombie Survival Guide, which I seem to remember reading years ago. The basic concept is to briefly cover, in graphic novel format, a series of outbreaks occurring throughout history, starting in the stone age and ending in modern America. The narration is written exactly as you would expect if it were actually presenting a series of historical events. Apparently, this was all originally written for and published in the original Survival Guide.

The art is b
Greg
This was a broadly amusing short read that attempts to create a pseudo-history of recorded outbreaks of the solanium virus and the resultant attacks by zombies on the living at various locations around the globe in the past 60,000 years. Illustrated in black-and-white, zombies are shown in varying degrees of decay, gore and savageness, in contrast to their usually startled and horrified victims! I liked linkages between zombies and aspects of actual Romano-British and Egyptian archaeology, but f ...more
Andrew
This is a comic book that you can read quite quickly and it’s the first that I read by this author. This is a sort of journalistic reportage with episodes about the zombie phenomenon in human history: manifestation, distribution, transmission and in many cases instruction on how to stop it (in fact removal of all infected). Funny, graphically well done, but the short number of pages saved it from boredom. A little longer and it would be too repetitive. Nice, I think I'll try to read other storie ...more
Mehsi
1.5 stars. Well that was just beyond disgusting. I can handle a bit of gore, but seriously this was just too much. I don't think I want to eat anything for the coming hour or so. *shivers*

The art is decent, though not really my kind of art. I am more more of the refined kind of art, not the action/harsh kind of art.

The story and the history parts were really interesting and that is also why I rate this book a 1.5 stars. That is the only thing I enjoyed, though it scared me to bits. It was grues
Melissa
I find it very distracting when a comic is written where sentences . . . ellipse through two pages . . . and it's only one thought . . . that's trying to be . . . conveyed. Supposedly this adds to the gravity, but I'm not buying it. Since I've been waiting for this book since 2008, I was hoping it'd be a little longer.
Elizabeth
Loved the art in this. Super cool and gruesome. The title says it all about this one. It is a collection of recorded zombie attacks through history which was super cool and it's made me really excited to read the related books by Max Brooks. I think I may like zombie stories. Totally new section of the horror genre for me.
Izabela
This comic-style book is good, but it isn't mind-blowing. There isn't anything new or exciting about it; it's just another zombie outbreak story. The graphics are pretty good, but again, not great. All in all, it's okay.
Shilpi Jain
Ahhh anything to do with living dead makes me curious so I absolutely had to read this. As the title suggests, it records events back from 5000 BC until as recently as World War II and afterwards about zombie attacks and why they were never officially recorded or acknowledged. It's a short book, thankfully, but most of the theories are too far fetched to believe them. There we no new takeaways from what you haven't seen in the zombie movies- hit on the head to kill etc. I actually thought it was ...more
Trin
These stories are lifted directly out of the back of the original Zombie Survival Guide, so don’t expect any new material here. However, they’re extremely fun in graphic novel form, and if it’s been a while since you read Brooks’ first zombie book, as it has for me, I think you’ll still find these a treat.
Kelly
I'm not a graphic novel fan. I completely understand why they are so popular and how they can help struggling readers to become better readers by teaching them to visualize pictures while they read. Because I have vivid visuals in my mind as I read, the graphic novels conflict with these images sometimes, and that's why I prefer not to read them. I "force" myself to read a few each year so I can have conversations with students, and that's why I read this one.

I really liked this graphic novel; z
Dana
This graphic novel features short stories of zombie outbreaks through out human history. I prefer Max Brooks’ novels to this graphic novel but it was still fun to read.
Minna
Jul 28, 2011 Minna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: zombie nuts
I liked it, it was interesting to see the recorded zombie outbreaks hinted at in the Survival Guide. It's was a fast read.
Helen
Gift from Lance. Read this awhile ago. It is what is, and it's not what it's not. But overall it was both a quick and fun read.
Joshua D.
This was a very entertaining book because it was both sarcastic and funny, as well as logical. it provided fictional events in a very realistic and captivating way. The whole thing is written so seriously that you'll laugh when you get to the end of the book and see several Zombie Action Checklists for the owner's use to keep track of outbreaks.There is also a few good life lessons to take away from this book, such as: use a bicycle in a zombie apocalypse because zombies can't hear you and you c ...more
Mel
The thing I liked best about world war z was the way it used oral history to tell the story. So when I found a comic book version of the historical attacks I had to get a copy. This was really great, there were few words and the story was mostly told through the pictures which worked really well in the comic book format. The historical stories were great coming from all over the globe with only the very last story taking place in the US. It really gave a good global and historical setting. The o ...more
Mike
Interesting premise even if, like me, you don't give a damn about zombies.
Douglass Gaking
This is my least favorite of Max Brooks' books, but it's still pretty good because it's Max Brooks. It is similar to The Extinction Parade, less interesting in both the story and the graphics, mostly because this book doesn't have main characters or a single running plot and the graphics don't uave color. I still like the cleverness of some of the stories, and Ibraim Roberson's illustrations are extremely detailed, complement the text, and could almost tell the story without the text. I recommen ...more
Sara
Jan 04, 2013 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The graphic portion is fun. The rest you've read before.
Joshua Elliott
This is a graphic novel from Max Brooks who is the authority on the undead. It recounts historical accounts of singular or mass zombie attacks and the subsequent cover-ups and obliteration of the infection. It is very well written and illustrated. The pictures will make you cringe.
Having read World War Z, Recorded Attacks gives a haunting foreshadowing of things to come. It shows our ignorance and reaction to the infection, the attempted weaponization of infection, and tells the things we have
McKenzie Richardson
So for anyone who didn't know, there is no new material in this graphic novel that is not in The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead in Recorded Attacks. Apparently that is a huge misconception. Basically all this book does is illustrate some of the more interesting attacks stories already found in the survival guide.Having said that, let's give credit where credit is due. Ibraim Roberson's artwork is really what makes this book so cool. Absolutely amazing. I tend to ...more
Andrew
Recorded Attacks is a selection of incidents from the end of the Zombie Survival Guide converted to graphic novel format.

I really enjoyed the artwork and thought that the adaptations were well-done. Each one definitely captured the mood of the attack and the emotions of the victims and survivors. I was a little disappointed that it was all in black and white though.

As far as the stories go, I had been expecting new content - that's probably my own fault for not reading enough about it in advance
O'Dasor
Feb 07, 2010 O'Dasor rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comicbook fans
Shelves: on-the-shelf
you're out camping with your girlfriend,
and take a short walk in the woods,
leaving her behind to tend the camp.

when you return, she attacks you,
chomping at your flesh,
ready to feast on your brains!
she's a zombie!

what do you do, now?

such is the stuff of Max Brooks'
The Zombie Survival Guide
- Recorded Attacks.

short, brutal and expected.

unlike his previous works
The Zombie Survival Guide,
Complete Protection From The Living Dead,
and its sequel World War Z,
An Oral History of the Zombie War,

Recorded A
sj
I know, I know - you guys are probably all saying to yourselves "Wait? sj read an actual book? Like, something made of dead trees and BOUND and everything? NOT digital?! Whaaaaaa?" Really, I know it's a total shocker. I haven't picked up an actual book book since October, I think, when I last re-read all of my Walking Dead hardbacks, so I get it.

The thing is, this book has been sitting on a bookshelf (well, it was in a box for a few days when we moved, but then it got placed BACK on the bookshel
Holden Attradies
My favorite part of The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead was the Recorded Attacks section, and it always leaves me wishing it was a whole book on it's own. So when I first saw that this book existed I was excited, both loving that section and graphic novels.

Upon reading it, however, I was disappointed much in the manner I was disappointed in the original abridged audiobook for World War Z. It leaves out so many good things. This I understand, I suppose. I guess the
Patrick Nichol
As a chronicler of zombie lore, Max Brooks is no Robert Kirkman. But The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks is a fine companion to his phenomenal World War Z.

Brooks, son of comedy genius Mel Brooks, has surveyed history for his terrifying vignettes of the walking dead. According to Brooks, the walking dead appeared as far back as prehistoric times and continue on to today.

Each episode is introduced, Twilight Zone-like, by Brooks based in part on actual history. And all of them are gruesome
Eva Leger
This wasn't nearly as enjoyable for me as World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War or The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead. I'm thinking it's because of the comic-book-ness of it although I did just read Art Spiegelman's Maus (1 & 2) and I had no problem with those.
I think the problem was, more spefically, the lack of wording. This was far more like a comic book than Maus was. I think comic book readers or those able to deal with more pictures/less wordin
Aramis A.
Ever wanted to know the zombie history goes? Well wait no more because "The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks" by Max Brooks. This book is about how zombies fared in against humans through the ages. It truly is a book of interesting matters. Its a book that shows what humans can do during a survival period. Max Brooks truly made a book that shows the diversity of reading.
This the second book of a two book series. The first being called "The Zombie Survival Guide" in which it teaches you
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Marvel Zombies 2
  • Marvel Zombies 3
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Zombies: A Book of Zombie Christmas Carols
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Zombies for Zombies: Advice and Etiquette for the Living Dead
  • Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies
Max Brooks is The New York Times bestselling author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. He has been called ”the Studs Terkel of zombie journalism.“

Brooks is the son of director Mel Brooks and the late actress Anne Bancroft. He is a 1994 graduate of Pitzer College. His wife, Michelle, is a screenwriter, and the couple have a son, Henry.
More about Max Brooks...
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead The Harlem Hellfighters The Essential Max Brooks: World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide Closure, Limited