Start by marking “1000 Journals Project” as Want to Read:
1000 Journals Project

1000 Journals Project

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  593 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Voyeuristic. Inspirational. Entertaining. One thousand blank journals are currently circulating throughout the world, beckoning contributors who find the journals by chance on trains, in cafés, and anonymously left on doorsteps. Artist Someguy shares more than 250 of the best entries: a collage of African countries repositioned into a new continent; the musings of a teen t ...more
Published March 8th 2007 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Journals Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Journals Project

Marian Willeke
After attending the Indianapolis International Film Festival and seeing the documentary of the 1000 Journal projects followed with a testimonial by Someguy, I was intrigued. My friend loaned me the book, which is simply a compilation of entries from across the various journals that have been collected.

I give it 5 stars for the creativity of building the project and being able to let the project go on it's own terms. Most people are way to controlling to really let something take it's own path.

I
Ciara
i echo what many other reviewers said, about wanting to like this book more than they did. i heard about the 1000 journals project soon after it launched in 2000, though i didn't really follow the web updates. the book is a collections of pages from a selection of journals that have successfully been returned to "someguy," the project creator. i thought it was a pretty disappointing round-up--way too many people slapping together a collage & including their website, like the books were less ...more
Sherry (sethurner)
Oct 29, 2008 Sherry (sethurner) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists
Shelves: art, nonfiction
I've been trying to keep illustrated journals for years, so when I did a Google search for the term I found a site by an man who calls himself "someguy." He put together 1000 blank journals and sent them out into the world for anyone who found them to add to. Not all of them returned to him, but several did. His website has scanned pages, all wildly different and creative, to see. Then our Wisconsin Book Festival featured a documentary about the 1000 Journal Project, and I was fascinated all ove ...more
Meagan
Jul 01, 2007 Meagan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ?
Upon hearing of this project I was instantly excited. A book of ideas, thoughts, secrets contributed by people all over the world and upon reading it only one word accurately describes my feelings regarding its contents: disappointed. I guess I expected more out of the world and not just another way to brag about themselves or sell their art or place a free personal ad. Naively I expected more depth but maybe things really are that shallow after all. Maybe what we see really is what we get.
Jo
Turned around an on-coming depression. Renewed my faith in an inter-connected, creative humanity.
Travis
The project idea was brilliant: disseminate 1000 journals around the world and let anyone and everyone contribute entries. Unfortunately, the book doesn't chronicle as much of that project as it easily could have (though the website does a much better job).

This book has a hard black journal-like cover and is filled with representative illustrations, photos, doodles and musings (even a few stitched entries) from however many of the 1000 journals that got mailed back, or had individual entries ema
Melissa
Love the concept of this project and liked reading about where the journal ended up, how people received it, etc. However, I found the actual book not that interesting. I was disappointed by a lot of the work chosen. I think this is probably something you would have to see in person to really appreciate, not just scans divided up in another book.
Rachel
The concept of 1000 journals project, leaving blank journals for people to find, contribute to, and pass on was very interesting to me.
Unfortunately I felt like the contents chosen to be published were mostly disappointing. A lot of the written content was self-conscious and twee - musings about not having enough time, or teenage attempts at brashness through confessions of pot smoking.

More interesting than the many websites that people included would have been where the journal was found and w
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The 1000 Journals Project was a Best Of selection from the 1000 Journals Project, a project where 1000 empty journals were sent out in the world to be filled with clever observations and smart drawings and photographs. I can only hope this was not a true Best Of; in a word, I was underwhelmed. Reading through this book reminds of an interview I once read with a bartender. The bartender admitted he'd gone into his work in hopes to hearing (and stealing) the Great American Novel from his patrons a ...more
Michelle
The goodreads synopsis describes this as voyeuristic but I'm not sure a journal entry designed for others to read or view necessarily puts the reader/viewer in that category. Ok, maybe I'm splitting hairs here. In any event, I did enjoy this. I am a fan of the PostSecret website and this compilation of entries from the 1000 journals set loose into the world to be filled by strangers and passed on to others for their additions seems to be more in that vein. It's a creative confessional and an int ...more
Raymonni Donni
Such an amazing & inspriational project. 5 Stars.
papasteve
I haven't read this book yet, but want to get it. There is a website (1000journals.com) that I've been looking at over the past couple of years. 1000 empty journals were started out, and when you received one, you were to write, draw, etc a couple of pages in it and then pass it on. The journals were tracked all over the world and when they were filled they were returned to where they started out. This book is a compilation of different entries from those 1000 journals. Check out the website, ma ...more
Carina Santos
The main concept of this book is admirable. The execution is fair, good at best, but what it lacks is substantial content. I feel as though it ought to have had more heart in it, if anything, because it was meant to speak for thousands of people who've participated in the challenge.

What I really liked, though, was that a number of the people involved (though, perhaps, not all) seemed to have given a lot of effort and importance to this project. That was what made me wish I'd been able to partici
Lesley
This book came through my department in the library, and I'm so glad it did! Otherwise, I might not have heard about it. I think this 1000 Journals Project is an intriguing idea, and I enjoyed "reading" through the book, which is a compilation of some of the journal entries submitted to date. While some of the journal pages had text, many others had artwork of some sort. Going through this book was both charming and insightful, a refreshing combination in the middle of a busy week.
Christopher
loved it. very interesting.
Melissa
I found out about this book through the Documentary. I know, that never happens! I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary made about this project, and enjoyed seeing it take shape and really get passed along. My husband bought me this book for our 1 year wedding anniversary because he remembered how much I enjoyed the documentary about it. I just wish that they could come out with all of the journals!
Astoria
I loved this book so much! The creativity that flowed through every page was just fabulous and it's been such an inspiration. I'm so ready to start putting more of an effort into my journals, doing more than just writing my day to day activities. I never realized before that a journal could be more than just that, that it could be used for living, striving and keeping a record of memories. I'm excited.
Sarah Brandel
I'd seen the Web site a while before I picked up this book, and I definitely felt that the Web site had a lot more interesting pages than the book did. I would have preferred the book to have fewer art pages and more pages of stories about the journals circling the world, making a selection of the best art pages and referring the reader to the Web site for the rest.
Lisse
I liked the initial idea behind this project - randomly circulate 100 journals and see what people will put in them. A lot of the things in these journals just didn't interest me. Sometimes I thought that what people were saying online about when they dropped off a journal or sent it on it's way was much more poignant than what was actually in the journal itself.
Beth

Someguy sends 1000 blank journals out into the world with instructions for people to add to it, then pass it on (preferably to strangers). Very cool concept and experiment. I still need to check out the website. This book shares some of the documentation from the website I believe, giving a sampling of pages and stories associated with the journal.
Rachel
So much creativity in one little book. Makes me want to start up a journal of my own in this fashion and just pass it along to family and friends. I love the whole concept of sending hundreds of journals out into the world not knowing whos hands they'll end up in but knowing that art will ensue. Brilliant and inspiring.
JayeL
Apr 29, 2008 JayeL marked it as to-read
I started looking through this book on 12/12/2008. I picked it up and simply opened to a random page. While I was looking at the page, I really wanted to get a pen and write on the page, contribute. Seems silly because it is my book and not one of the real journals, but I think it shows the power of the 1000 Journals Project.
Kay
Collaborative works are some of my favorites to read, especially when they're related to art. This one was beautifully done and the textural additions (i.e. stitched pages) were a nice touch.

Even better, the project is ongoing, and you can contribute as well:

Kasandra
Interesting to see so many different takes on what one can put in a journal. Creative and funny and sad, but also already dated by this point (many references to G.W. Bush, etc.)... would have loved to see more than what's in here. Now hoping to come across one of these in my city.
Nikita Gurnani
from my favorite page: "there seems to be an element of anger or tension in some of these pages that fill the front of this journal. i wonder if its in what is written or in how its read? everything comes through the filter of the self, doesn't it?"
Phyllis Burstein, DePaul Art Education
A great example of action research to show your students! What would happen if....Also, high school students will be impressed with the many different approaches to journaling, doodling, evidence collecting, and self-expression.
Jo
For image text people, this is a good resource book. It takes excerpts from the 1000 Journals Project (see website) where art/writing journals were circulated around the world for random entries.
Ratforce
As a fan of illustrations and memoirs, you might enjoy the 1000 Journals project, a compilation of over 250 submissions gleaned from 1,000 journals that were left around the world.
Caroline Wooden
The concept is brilliant and, on the whole, it's very successful. I love found art and this concept takes it to a group level. Great if you like unconventional art and/or journaling.
Jen
Th concept of this book is awesome, the execution was very uneven. Five stars for the concept, but if I'm rating the content of the book . . . two stars.
You can add to journals or start one yourself... 1 13 Aug 06, 2007 06:40PM
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections