Start by marking “The Society” as Want to Read:
The Society

The Society

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,314 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
The wealthy and powerful CEO of a large health care company is found brutally murdered.
She is not the first to die - nor will she be the last...

A vicious serial killer is on the loose, and the victims have one thing in common: they are all high-profile executives in the healthcare industry.

As a member of the Hippocrates Society, Dr Will Grant is fighting to reclaim the me
Published November 17th 2005 by Arrow (first published August 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Society

Jan 10, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-thriller
In another early medical thriller from Michael Palmer, the Society, he tackled the subject of the Hippocratic oath in the medical society. When the CEO of the Eastern Quality Health was murdered, she wasn't the first one to die. With a serial killer loose and the victims had one thing in common: they were all wealthy in the managed care system. For Dr. Will Grant and member of the Hippocrates Society, he was outraged by the system that care more about their wealth than their own money. But he ha ...more
Patrice Hoffman
May 23, 2012 Patrice Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy medical novels by this author. I feel so smart afterwards as if I can go into any E.R. and start spouting off medical lingo. Then again, I feel that way after watching an episode of House. Enough about me... the book is definitely worth picking up. It's primarily about a doctor a part of the Hippocrates Society who is against the big HMOs caring more about money and profits than the patients. There's a little bit of a romance brewing in the background which wasn't prevalent enough ...more
Charles Vrooman
Jul 23, 2015 Charles Vrooman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a number of Michael Palmer's novels, and have to say this is one of his best. Like most of his books he gives his opinion on some aspect of the medical field. Here he takes on the HMOs and how their controlling both the doctors and hospitals. In this novel the doctors form the Hippocrates Society which is a group against HMOs. Not only is this a thriller, but trying to figure out who is killing the CEOs of the HMOs makes it also a mystery. It's one of those novels that's hard to put do ...more
Jun 22, 2011 Mohamed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book talks about the dangers of the American health care system. The story begins with a view into the life of a young surgeon, Will Grant.He is a divorced father of two children. The most astonishing fact about will is that he is a member of a secret society- The Hippocratic society. The main objective of this society is to recapture the society from the grips of the Managed healthcare industry.

At the same time, several MHO executives were murdered in a similar fashion. The killer phoned t
Feb 17, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit biased, favorably, so not going into detail other than to say I love any well written medical thrillers, medical mysteries and/or true life medical stories as long as they are realistic and use medical jargon properly.(but not so simplistic as to make you feel like being talked down too) Nothing worse than the reader feeling like they are more knowledgeable about medicine then the author.

Michael Palmer is one of my favorites authors in this genre as he spent over 2 decades as a practic
The Reading Cove Book Club ❦
127th: THE SOCIETY by Michael Palmer
Chosen By: Joyce
Trivia Winner - Roberta

~COVE OPINION: C+, Above Average story

Discussed THE SOCIETY in the 6th episode of our Cove podcast - listen in!
Mary Beth
Jan 05, 2011 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent medical thriller about the danger of HMO's. While I think HMO's are a poor option for our medical crises, I still do not support socialized medicine and never will. Even though, I disagreed with the theme of the novel, I really enjoyed the thriller.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
pretty good mystery, still a little too actiony for my taste
Jan 29, 2013 D.K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, though some parts are predictable, but that doesn't take away from the story value.
Jul 06, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed thrills; good doctor and lady cop fight HMO's!

We have enjoyed most of Michael Palmer's medical thrillers, finding them to be entertaining stories with realistic premises about dangers to us all that could happen in the field of doctors, hospitals, and pharmaceutics. His latest novel, "The Society", has it all: villainous rich men guiding HMO's to make money against all standards of decency toward their patients; an innocent doctor, who protests against HMO's by night, gets drugged
Jun 27, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a pretty good mystery. I caught on to what was really happening about half way through the book, so to me that is pretty good. I hate when I figure it out too quickly. Once I figured it out, I did think the plot was predictable. I do like Palmer's writing style and I can tell that he knew what he is talking about in terms of the medical aspect.

Dr. Will Grant is an upstanding doctor who loves his kids, actually cares about his patients and is fighting the evils of Managed Health Care. Wh
Jan 06, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good Palmer medical mystery. Managed care is a real hot button right now and this one is all about those people in charge of it and how their concerns are only for the bottom line. Someone is trying to "manage" the bottom line of the managed care business and a very determined young detective will not let go and with the help of a doctor who has been "managed" right out of his medical license they figure out what is going on and solve the mystery.

Getting old has its advantages, I can rea
Bonniecco cco
Dec 04, 2014 Bonniecco cco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ten year old book still has lots of good commentary on our medical payment system, decent characters and plot. The bad guys in this story may not be (did they exist in real life) bad enough to get us to a single payer health care system in today's political climate. In the novel they were. This is my first book by Palmer; I expect I'll try some more. He seems to know the world of medicine well. I enjoyed the story. It has a bit of sex, but not graphic, and the same for violence. The plot is ...more
May 18, 2010 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I found the story was as relevant today as it was several years ago and it moved right along I felt a couple of inconsistencies kept it from shining. Did the nurse or an EMT do the intubation, depends on which character you get the story from. How does a state detective know that camp site well and also need directions to it? At least the description of the Whipple procedure jived with my limited understanding. Thank you for using that one, the only one I know about. It made me feel smart ...more
I've always enjoyed Michael Palmer's books and this one was no exception. Will Grant, a dedicated surgeon, seeks to reclaim the profession of medicine from the hundreds of companies profiting wildly by controlling the decisions that affect the delivery of medical care. His determination, however, has attracted a zealot who will stop at nothing and no one to achieve his vision of one huge medical insurance conglomerate.
Aug 10, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was decent. I guess I wasexpecting a little more, as the only other Michael Palmer novel I have read is The Fifth Vial and I thought that was excellent. I felt the dialogue in The Society was a little strained and maybe that made it a little less believable. But this was still a very entertaining and quick read, although I did figure out who was behind everything about halfway through.
Jamey Mast
Apr 27, 2016 Jamey Mast rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes inside the health care system and shows you what many physicians face. It also takes you into the thrill of how easy it is to manipulate who gets care and how the system can be degraded. Will and Patty each have their problems ones cop and the other a Dr. will they triumphs and will all Involved get what they deserve ? Great reading and even if you see it coming you still have to read on to see what happens next.
Valley Cottage Library
SUMMER READING REVIEW: "Three CEOs of Health Insurance firms are murdered. Why? Dr. Will Grant and Detective Patty Moriarity band together to find the assassins who are cunning and ruthless. The negative aspects of managed care HMOs are highlighted in this fast-paced thriller. The ending takes a surprising twist as to the identities of the assassins and the perils of managed care." -Audrey DuBovy
May 29, 2008 Silvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jen
I'm just loving his books.... medical thrillers are just what I need from time to time :) Michael Palmer is not quite as eloquent as Ken Follett but with his medical background - he was a practitioner of internal and emergency medicine for 20 years - he is just the right guy to put those stories of suspense around the clinical setting together. They capture me time and again....
Tessa Small
Mar 08, 2014 Tessa Small rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The war between government medicare and the private healthcare systems comes to the for in this novel which includes murder, suspense and medical intrigue all for the sake of money and power. Doctors lives are wiped out, patient needs are not considered it is all about the bottom line for the medical companies covering the costs. Well written and intriguing
Mike Klein
Decent thriller that has too many logical flaws to be great. It also is way too biased towards Doctors and not towards Insurance. By and large throughout the book doctors are noble selfless heroes and insurance executives are heartless money loving jerks. Character development by cliche. But it was worth finishing.
Deborah Hamilton
This book was a very fun read. It just flowed very naturally from page to page. The reader becomes absorbed in the story of Dr. Grant being framed. Just when you think you have everything figured out, everything changes! So be prepared for the turn of the century! A wonderful story based on the injustice of HMOs and the struggles of Doctors who are working for the patient.
Jun 13, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A medical mystery about HMO's, doctors and the patients they are supposed to serve. Reading this felt a little timely with the current health-care crisis and the author had some interesting points to make. However, the characters were thinly developed and the language was foul and sexual content gratuitous enough that I won't pick up another of his books.
Jul 22, 2011 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy Michael Palmer's books. This one seemed to have more police and violence than they usually do. The villains certainly took apart the life of Dr. Will Grant. It took several persons to help keep him from being professionally and physically destroyed. It's a good read--lots of excitement.
Ally Marie
Jul 05, 2011 Ally Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This was a very difficult story to get into and reading about HMO’s just makes me think of all the awful crap I have dealt with insurance companies working in the medical field. I was very bored with the storyline and the characters. I managed to read until chapter 7 before skimming to the end to see if my early prediction was accurate…which it was.
Sep 28, 2009 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by a former physician - a very good book - tells you maybe more than you want to know about the policies of HMO's, cancer treatment and surgery for pancreatic cancer - but right on target. Highly recommend!
Medical thriller - Surgeon Will Grant is a spokesperson for the Hippocrates Society which wants reforms in managed care. He is framed as a drug user, had his license suspended, and winds up teaming with State Police detective Patty Davenport to find the serial killer of HMO CEOs.
I've read several of Michael Palmer's medical mystery thrillers and they were definitely page turners. This book didn't quite live up to my expectations when compared to his previous books. Still a good escape novel, however.
Oct 13, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palmer writes a great mystery always dealing with some aspect of the medical field. This one dealt with managed health care. These are great books to listen to while driving in Atlanta traffic or walking at the park.
Steve Davis
Jul 24, 2011 Steve Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sobering fictional story about the dangers of HMO controlled medicine. Palmer sez he used true stories from patient and other MD's for this book. Unexpected ending.
I'll eventually read all of Palmer's books. He is a very good medical story teller.
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Deadly Medicine (Joanna Blalock #1)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)
  • Deadly Errors
  • The Magic Bullet
  • True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)
  • Blood Lies
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

More about Michael Palmer...