Start by marking “Young Annabelle (Y.A #1)” as Want to Read:
Young Annabelle (Y.A #1)

Young Annabelle (Y.A #1)

What do I see when I look in the mirror?
I see a girl who just wants to be loved by her family, her best friend and…a guy she thought she’d never go for.

Someone should have told me sooner…that falling for a guy like that…was not a good idea.
At all.

Just past the halfway mark on her summer from hell weightloss journey, seventeen year old Annabelle Simms has lost a grand t
Published October 5th 2013 by Sarah Tork (first published April 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Young Annabelle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Annabelle

Fear Me by B.B. ReidNero by Sarah BrianneFear You by B.B. ReidVincent by Sarah BriannePassion by Jordan Silver
18+ High school romance
18th out of 22 books — 30 voters
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Witty/Funny Couples
287th out of 445 books — 529 voters

More lists with this book...

Janey Mcfarl
May 15, 2013 Janey Mcfarl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't often write reviews, but I feel obligated to when I come upon books that I absolutely love. This is one of those books. If you're unsure whether to purchase it or not, buy it!!!! This is a high-quality, inexpensive ebook that has a great story line, an inspirational message, and an alpha male!

The relationship between Annabelle and James was compelling, realistic, and fully absorbing. The author did a great job making the reader empathize with Annabelle, especially with the tough family s
Cassandra Curiel
The beginning had me hooked and that cliffhanger definitely made me get the second book. I mean why not? They're both free! Anyway, the problems I had with this book were the fact that the main character, Annabelle, was a little too immature and cheesy. I get that she's a senior in high school but I'm pretty sure seniors are a tad more mature than this. At least in my opinion. There were a lot of repeated sentences and it proved to be a little irritating. Some of the things that happen are ...more
WickedLovely1
May 13, 2013 WickedLovely1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
S
May 28, 2013 S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. I liked this book, I did.
It just annoyed me half the time. Her mother? Jesus Christ, I wanted to punch that lady in the face. Half the time all I thought was STFU already.. And James.. I just. I don't know. Thennn the ending..? I can't even put my thoughts together to make this review.
Needless to say, I will read the next book because I need to know what happens at that dang party.
Elle
No plot, annoying heroine, terrible writing, and just overall horrible. So glad this was a free ebook. I'm not sure how anyone would find anything enjoyable about this one as it doesn't make much sense. Really disappointed in the response to this one.
Bodea
Jun 01, 2014 Bodea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More like 1.5 stars

It was short so I just kept going, but nothing much happened. The plot was really thin, the characters were flat, and the writing needs a lot of work.
Lietzel
May 20, 2013 Lietzel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all I have to say I enjoyed this book even though it's not one I would usually read. Mostly because I think it's more relatable to teens because of the main character's perspective. However, I could also see some adults reading it to better understand their teens at home as you really get an understanding of how Annabelle is feeling and why she acts certain ways to things.

Annabelle's character is a realistic teenager with normal problems and in my opinion very relatable. Poor Annabelle
Ash
Uhm... Are we talking about the same book?

I'm seeing tons of reviews that are falling over themselves about this book, but I have to say, I'm in disagreement with most of them.

Really? A portrayal of real life? James is THE bad boy? No. No. No.

I agree that there are thousands, or even millions of people that struggle with weight, but I have news for you, there is absolutely NOTHING fat about 165. Sorry to disappoint but that's a pretty healthy weight depending on the height especially for 5'7".
Amber Hodges
May 20, 2013 Amber Hodges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, own, ebook
I am a member of a YA group on Goodreads. I came across a posting asking to review this book for the author. It sounded interesting so I said yes. I'm glad I did. This was a great book and I enjoyed it very much.

I did kind of force myself to start reading this book, because to be honest, the cover for the book is pretty in its own way, but it didn't draw me into wanting to read the story. I did make a promise to read it though for a review so I read it for part of a read-a-thon.

This is a story
Kelly Cozy
Annabelle isn't having a very good summer. Her mother - and by extension, her whole family - is obsessed with Annabelle's weight. Every calorie eaten and every calorie burned is tallied, her wardrobe is criticized, and she's hungry all the time. Her summer job at the country club isn't that great either. But all that seems to change when she meets James at the country club, and when they're not bickering they hit it off pretty well. But will this possible romance last the summer, let alone ...more
Scribblegirl
Can't do it. Life is too short, and this is too horrendously bad. And will probably promote eating disorders and body dysmorphia.
Salwa
May 27, 2016 Salwa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
1.5 stars for the writing. But it was a quick and easy read- good if you need something light for a change.
Ivana
Nov 04, 2016 Ivana rated it really liked it
This was an ebook that has a great storyline, an inspirational message, and an alpha male!

The nature of Annabelle and James' relationship was compelling, absorbing and realistic at times. Annabelle leads James on to prove his desire for her, in which he does not hesitate to. Through this chase, James' alpha male character emerges as his fierceness and protection of Annabelle begins to bloom.

It was easy to empathise with Annabelle through the tough family situation; her diet-possessed mother, p
Aoibheann  { ⊱Aoibh Reads⊰ }

SPOILER-FREE

Review originally posted on Aoibh Reads

Annabelle is over 160 pounds and her mother doesn't let her forget it. Controlling her meals and watching the amount of calories she burns, Annabelle can't escape the constant reminder of not being good enough by being judged by her weight.

Then she meets James; he sees nothing wrong with how she looks and doesn't try to hide how he feels for her.

But no matter what he does, Annabelle can't let him in and constantly chooses to see him as a typic
Patricia Hamill
Nov 30, 2013 Patricia Hamill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary YA and YA romance
Recommended to Patricia by: The author.
I have to admit that I really liked this book.

The story follows Annabelle, a slightly (very slightly in my opinion) overweight young girl whose self-image is under constant attack by her mother's obsession over thinning her down for her senior year. Wearing only a size ten, her mother buys her clothes that are too small for her as incentive for her to lose weight, makes her wear a calorie tracking wristwatch, and makes her eat horribly unsatisfying foods in tiny quantities. Besides that, Annabel
DeAnna
Dec 20, 2013 DeAnna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As December arrived, I realized that I was so close and yet so far to completing my A-Z Title Challenge on Goodreads. So I decided it was time to buckle down and complete it. I was having a hard time getting into my chosen book for Y, so when someone mentioned that Young Annabelle was free, I decided to give it a shot. It sounded like it could be funny, it was free, and it was short!

It ended up not being nearly as funny as I expected, but it wasn’t bad. I was a little confused, though, because i
Tina Donaldson
Sep 21, 2014 Tina Donaldson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read for Young Adults

I never want to relive my high school years and I am sure neither does Annabelle if she makes it through her senior year in one piece!

Young Annabelle is an excellent coming of age story that tells about Annabelle's struggles at home and work and with boys and her classmates. At the heart of Annabelle's issues are her lack of confidence, pride, and self love that her family (especially her mother) has stripped away from her as they hound her about not being super ski
Krissy (BooksWithKris)
The main problem I had with this book was the lack of character development.

Annabelle, our main character, was pretty realistic in my opinion. She dealt with problems the way I would have dealt with them. However, she had no character development whatsoever. She also could get very irritating and always jumped to conclusions. Although she was relatable in the way that she was unsatisfied with her physical appearance, she wasn't very likable.

I also had a huge problem with her family. I felt like
Stefanie
Damn it Sarah.....you did it again (lol). I need to start reading the blurb or reviews of the books before I start reading. You sucked me into Anna's life only to leave me feeling like WTF just happened....I need more now (I'm wait cliffhangers and waiting for the next book to come out).

Ok seriously though, the characters in this book were very realistic and I totally empathized with how Anna felt about her weight throughout the entire book, because most girls/women go through the same insecurit
iamo  ut lego
Apr 20, 2015 iamo ut lego rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know it may sound wired but you can't help but feel that I am a part of the story ,all the issues relates to everyday life in one way or another dealing with Boys, Weight, family and School.

I love Annabel she’s Feisty and not afraid to speak her mind she has issues with her weight and has a very emotional struggle when it comes to it her family don’t help either especially her nagging Mother.

She meets James a cutie with an Ego the size of Texas he like her and she likes Him but things start t
Shayna Varadeaux
Okay wow! When Sarah Tork DM'd me asking if I wanted to read her book I quickly agreed! As a bookaholic I'm always looking for my next good read!

I read the synopsis right away and was definitely looking forward to it!

I was not disappointed one little bit with the book, in fact I loved it! But holy crap Sarah! How am I supposed to function with that kinda cliffhanger!! Sheesh! ;0)

Annabelle is a great character extremely relatable in so many ways! And she captures the crazy emotion and confusion
Andrea
Dec 29, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it

Prior to reading this book and just after reading the blurb, my excitement level was so freaking high. I don't know, it's kind of a 'good feeling' or something is telling me that this series will not disappoint. When I found out that Young Annabelle is free in Apple Store, I purchased it immediately together with the other two books in the series. Now, after finishing the first book, I have to say that it's a great start.

James and Annabelle have that instant chemistry. Probably because
Laura Cline
Mar 23, 2014 Laura Cline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was soooooo GOOD! I couldn't put it down! I got this book for FREE yesterday and it's by far the best free book I have ever got for free! The relationship between Annabelle and James is TOXIC! I mean you can tell they have chemistry from the start! You can feel it when you are reading the parts when their together! I didn't expect to like this book so good! GET THIS BOOK! I promise you won't be disappointed! There is parts when you are thinking James is such a douche but you can't not ...more
Suey
Sep 28, 2014 Suey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
It was nice, but not outstanding. I loved how extreme her mother was and explained a lot about Annabelles aggressive behavior. The Typos and the punctuation were bad which always annoys me and I didn't like that there was the need to split the story into two parts. I hate series, when it's obvious that one book would have done the same job.
This sounds like a lot of shitty comments, but the book wasn't all bad and I actually want to know how it's going to end so I bought the second book. I just
Chelsea
Jun 07, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
I found this book to portray a realistic life as some books portray a fantasy or unrealistic view on life. This books talks about a girl struggling with being skinner for your family ; especially her mom. I gave this book 2.5 stars for that aspect. I wanted to love this book but by 90% I was still sitting waiting for excitement to occur. I didn't enjoy the relationship between James & Annabelle. It seemed Annabelle always found the faults in James & tried to find every possible thing to ...more
Abbie Mason
This book started out a bit confusing but after realizing it skipped back to kind of explain things , it made me sense.

I liked the storyline and the characters. Annabelle was easy to relate to and was very like-able.
I didn't like how it ended, it was very abrupt and seemed to end right in the middle of the story. I think this could of been one book but was broken up into 3 parts.

The story itself was your typical loser girl meets popular boy who is kind of a jerk but she likes him anyway. Jame
Liz
May 18, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, not my usual sort of read but was well worth the time until I got to the ending - how could it finish there!

Annabelle is being persecuted by her parents because of her weight, the only place she can escape is the club where she works as a Lemonade stand operator. Thrown together with James, an incredibly hot guy, when he is sent to be trained by Annabelle. Their friendship develops into something more.

Loved the story and loved the characters, apart from Annabelle's evil
Kelly
Nov 14, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so good!!

This was my type of story,conflict and angst galore. I really felt a connection to Annabelle,because I was that chubby insecure girl in high school,but She's really not chubby. Her family infuriated me,no one should feel like less of a person because of their weight. James clearly liked Annabelle, but was letting popularity take over his thinking. I hope he redeems himself in book two. Annabelle is awesome and deserves someone who will treat her right. My only problem was the abr
Aisling Spofford
Young Annabelle

Young Annabelle by Sarah Tork is a story about a teenage girl named Annabelle who wrestles with her feelings after meeting a teenage boy named James. She also has to deal with her mother's insanely crazy antics of obsessing over Annabelle's weight, calorie intake and how many calories she burns throughout the day. The story is well written and makes you feel like you're in Annabelle's shoes, her witty dialogue and sarcasm is enjoyable and all in all its a good read if you like yo
Leah
Feb 29, 2016 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Annabelle is an interesting mix. Her family is fairly brutal in their constant harrassments about her weight and negativity. But she constantly reminds herself that its not true, that she's cute and ok how she is. She has a supportive best friend which definitely cannot hurt. She also is constantly down on herself telling herself she is a loser for thinking this or that. It is an interesting tale of a teenager finding out who she is and fighting the battle to be healthy and happy or beat down ...more
The Life of a Boo...: Reviews needed for a YA novel 5 82 Feb 03, 2014 07:09AM
Book Haven: Free YA book in exchange for reviews 2 29 Aug 11, 2013 06:49PM
Kids/Teens Book Club: YA Novel Young Annabelle Free on Amazon. 2 15 May 14, 2013 01:32PM
Book Haven: YA Novel Young Annabelle Free on Amazon. 1 10 May 09, 2013 01:46PM
  • Mutilate My Heart (Mutilated, #1)
  • On Thin Ice (On Thin Ice #1)
  • See Me
  • Nine Months Part 1 (36 Hours)
  • The Shield Prophecy (The Sacred Guardians, #3)
  • Cruiser (Cruiser & Lex, #1)
  • Kiss List (The List Series, #1)
  • Spellweaver (The Spellweaver Chronicles, #1)
  • White is for Virgins
  • Righteous
  • Pick Me (Reality TV Romance #1)
  • The Funeral Singer
  • The Mistake (Claiming Love, #1)
  • Torn: True Love (Torn Love, #1)
  • Uniquely Unwelcome (The Shadow World, #1)
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • The Boyfriend List (Boyfriend #1)
  • Naturals (The Lost Souls, #2)

I live in Canada. I have been writing stories since I was a baby. The preferred reaction to my work would be happiness. Here's hoping I can pull it off.

You can contact me on Facebook or Twitter, or my Wordpress site.

CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE FOR UPDATES!!!
More about Sarah Tork...

Y.A (5 books)
  • The Truth About James (Y.A. #2)
  • What My Heart Wants / Waiting For A Fall (Y.A #3/#1-3)
  • You're What I Want (Y.A. #4)
  • Don't Stop Holding Me (Y.A. #5)

“What did I do now?” He reluctantly pulled the car the curb.

I needed to get out of this car – like now. I couldn’t breathe.

I unbuckled and flung open the door.

“Thanks for the ride. Bye.”

I slammed the door shut and began down the sidewalk. Behind me, I heard the engine turn off and his door open and shut. I quickened my stride as James jogged up to me. I slowed down knowing I couldn’t escape his long legs anyway. Plus, I didn’t want to get home all sweaty and have to explain myself.

“What happened?” James asked, matching my pace.

“Leave me alone!” I snapped back. I felt his hand grab my elbow, halting me easily.

“Stop,” he ordered.

Damn it, he’s strong!

“What are you pissed about now?” He towered over me. I was trapped in front of him, if he tugged a bit, I’d be in his embrace.

“It’s so funny huh? I’m that bad? I’m a clown, I’m so funny!” I jerked my arm, trying to break free of his grip. “Let me go!”

“No!” He squeezed tighter, pulling me closer.

“Leave me alone!” I spit the words like venom, pulling my arm with all my might.

“What’s your problem?” James demanded loudly. His hand tightened on my arm with each attempt to pull away. My energy was dwindling and I was mentally exhausted. I stopped jerking my arm back, deciding it was pointless because he was too strong; there was no way I could pull my arm back without first kneeing him in the balls.

We were alone, standing in the dark of night in a neighborhood that didn’t see much traffic.

“Fireball?” he murmured softly.

“What?” I replied quietly, defeated.

Hesitantly, he asked, “Did I say something to make you sad?”

I wasn’t going to mention the boyfriend thing; there was no way.

“Yes,” I whimpered.

That’s just great, way to sound strong there, now he’ll have no reason not to pity you!

“I’m sorry,” came his quiet reply.

Well maybe ‘I’m sorry’ just isn’t good enough. The damage is already done!

“Whatever.”

“What can I do to make it all better?”

“There’s nothing you could–” I began but was interrupted by him pulling me against his body. His arms encircled my waist, holding me tight. My arms instinctively bent upwards, hands firmly planted against his solid chest. Any resentment I had swiftly melted away as something brand new took its place: pleasure.

Jesus!

“What do you think you’re doing?” I asked him softly; his face was only a few inches from mine.

“What do you think you’re doing?” James asked back, looking down at my hands on his chest. I slowly slid my arms up around his neck.

I can’t believe I just did that!

“That’s better.”

Our bodies were plastered against one another; I felt a new kind of nervousness touch every single inch of my body, it prickled electrically.

“James,” I murmured softly.

“Fireball,” he whispered back.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I repeated; my brain felt frozen. My heart had stopped beating a mile a minute instead issuing slow, heavy beats.

James uncurled one of his arms from my waist and trailed it along my back to the base of my neck, holding it firmly yet delicately. Blood rushed to the very spot he was holding, heat filled my eyes as I stared at him.

“What are you doing?” My bewilderment was audible in the hush.

I wasn’t sure I had the capacity to speak anymore. That function had fled along with the bitch. Her replacement was a delicate flower that yearned to be touched and taken care of. I felt his hand shift on my neck, ever so slightly, causing my head to tilt up to him. Slowly, inch by inch, his face descended on mine, stopping just a breath away from my trembling lips.

I wanted it. Badly. My lips parted a fraction, letting a thread of air escape.

“Can I?” His breath was warm on my lips.

Fuck it!

“Yeah,” I whispered back. He closed the distance until his lush lips covered mine.

My first kiss…damn!

His lips moved softly over mine. I felt his grip on my neck squeeze as his lips pressed deeper into”
7 likes
“If I could have jumped up and down on my bed, I would have. I would have shouted at the top of my lungs, announcing to everyone who was unhappy and depressed that it was all going to be okay, that they just had to tough it out for a little longer. Happiness was always on its way, especially for those who deserved it. And I definitely deserved it.” 0 likes