Start by marking “Masquerade” as Want to Read:
Masquerade

Masquerade

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The sequel to Escapade -- Jane and Phil uncover scandal and murder in 1920's ParisSex and drugs and le jazz hot! It's 1923, and it's Paris. Phil Beaumont, the resourceful Pinkerton, and Jane Turner, ladies' paid companion turned Pinkerton "op", are here to investigate the death of Richard Forsythe, a rich American publisher. The Paris cops say it was a suicide pact -- Fors ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Masquerade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masquerade

Marjorie Kubacki
This is a book that was required for my Mystery Book Club. At first I wasn't happy, this book is less than 20 Years old and is currently out of print.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This is a very well written book that takes place in the 1920's in Paris. Needless to say it is populated with members of the Lost Generation (A lot like Midnight in Paris). This is the first book I have ever read that uses humor and sacrasm, that is really funny.
I would highly recommend this book!
Sheri
Masquerade (Walter Satterthwait)
Was a classic who-done-it. Set in the 1920's and affluemt man and his mistress are found dead. Thought to be a double suiced.

Two investigators from the Pinkerton agency are investigating. Not too sure this is a suicide, they are convinced a homicide. I did like the story line, moved a little too slow for me and a few parts were a bit unbelievable. But a good read on a lazy day.
Gloria
Oooh I enjoyed this one. Satterthwait displays such a deft hand at comedy here. His preoccupation with the light atmosphere dwarfs the mystery, but I didn't much care. The rich womanizer Richard Forsythe has been shot with his lover in a hotel room. Pinkerton Phil Beaumont must discover if Forsythe committed suicide or if there is some larger plot afoot. The mystery winds its way into international intrigue involving Nazis and then abruptly changes direction to end in a rather pat manner. Howeve ...more
Janna
This was a reread. I really love this trilogy of mysteries with Escapade and Calvacade. I enjoy the way the author had historical characters enter into the mystery (in this book Hemingway, Gertrude Stein). I like the way the story is told with Phil's narration and Jane's letters. I think in the reread I like the story even more because I know how it will conclude in the final book. Although, I have thought out trying to contact the author to ask if there will be another installment.
Patrice
I still like the style where Jane's perspective is expressed in letters to Evy while Phil's perspective is traditional writing. The characters are witty and engaging and the mystery is clever. I also enjoy seeing the portrayal of famous historical figures. I never really thought of Hemmingway as overwhelmingly clumsy. Gertrude Stein was particularly funny. I wish he'd written more of these, but since this was published in 1998 I sadly don't think that it's likely.
Julie
This story is masquerading as an interesting book. This bizarre tale involves a cast of characters including Hemmingway, Stein, Picasso, and anyone else of fame (it seems) whose feet lighted in Paris in the 1920's. The author evidently has not progressed past the psychosexual age of 13, based on his distracting tangents into homosexuality and promiscuity. Save your time and pass on this book
Debbie
Likable characters, a fine sense of wry humor, and nice sense of Paris in 1920s. Hemingway is a flake, Alice and Gertrude help solve the crime. The crime resolution was a little unsatisfying, although it had passed my mind who had "done it." The resolution of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was mentioned, and that is something of a clue to the ending of this novel.
Nikki
If you enjoyed the Woody Allen movie Midnight in Paris, you'll probably enjoy this book as well, although it doesn't have the fantasy element. An American detective couple careen through the Paris of the Twenties -- they even meet Christie and Simenon! And, there's a locked-room mystery to solve. Very enjoyable.
Bayneeta
Light, frothy romp through 1920s Paris. Hemingway and Gertrude Stein put in appearances. Enjoyed it enough I'm now reading the previous and first book in the series, Escapade , where Houdini is a major character.
Re-read for Crime Readers Book Discussion group (03/12--03/13/12)
Jo Marie
Very clever writing and a fine sense of humor. The setting is Paris in 1923 and there are a lot of famous people there (Hemingway, Picasso, Gertrude Stein, and more ) who are woven into the story. Not much of a mystery, but fun to read.
Laura Karoll
I love anything by Walter Satterthwait . His books are mostly out of print. His heroes are a little sarcastic and there are some hilarious one liners in these well written and interesting stories.
Katie
This book made me hungry. Time to head to Paris for some Maison de Gyro! Or, actual French food.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Teresa Heffernan anson
Teresa Heffernan anson marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Terri Fryman
Terri Fryman marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dorinda
Dorinda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Peter F
Peter F marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Walter Satterthwait (b. 1946) is an author of mysteries and historical fiction. A fan of mystery novels from a young age, he spent high school immersed in the works of Dashiell Hammett and Mickey Spillane. While working as a bartender in New York in the late 1970s, he wrote his first book: an adventure novel, Cocaine Blues (1979), about a drug dealer on the run from a pair of killers.

After his se
More about Walter Satterthwait...
Miss Lizzie Escapade Wilde West Perfection Wall of Glass (Joshua Croft, #1)